New MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So... where is it in the carb? pretty conventional carb. No "control valve" etc"...

There is a control valve on the Ht-12E, but, it is different from the 12A, 7A.
So... where is the limiter on the coil? Probably as obvious as it is on the carb.
You argued with me on the coil, and now the carb.
You can believe or be ignorant and argue. It is not like I just bought a different coil and carb with out researching and running the saw first.

Last edited:
Hey... Mr Sensitive... I'm just trying to engage you in conversation :) There a lot of BS spread on AS and other forums, and just because someone says it's a certain way doesn't make it so. Me included, BTW..

I see no control valve or limiting mechanisum on the 12E, but if there is one I remain open to the possibility if anyone can show me one. Just because it doesn't work "well" on a modified saw doesn't mean it's limited.

My question on the coil still reamins - whether the non-limited actually worked better than the limited, or whether it was just an issue with easier tuning. Less then 12k, both should work the same unless there is a change in advance timing. My understanding of the limited coil was that it was actually a tad MORE advanced than the non-limited. Where is the limiter? - it's in the electronics...

Last edited:
Hey... Mr Sensitive... I'm just trying to engage you in conversation :) There a lot of BS spread on AS and other forums, and just because someone says it's a certain way doesn't make it so. Me included, BTW..

I see no control valve or limiting mechanisum on the 12E, but if there is one I remain open to the possibility if anyone can show me one. Just because it doesn't work "well" on a modified saw doesn't mean it's limited.

My question on the coil still reamins - whether the non-limited actually worked better than the limited, or whether it was just an issue with easier tuning. Less then 12k, both should work the same unless there is a change in advance timing. My understanding of the limited coil was that it was actually a tad MORE advanced than the non-limited. Where is the limiter? - it's in the electronics...

Sorry for being short.
Anyway, I knew this saw would not be used at stock specs. I ran it when I got it, pulled the limiter caps and the saw hit it's limiters, either coil or carb.
I modded it, ran it would not turn up or hold a steady RPM.
Changed the coil, it ran much better, turned up to higher RPMs, but would not stay steady - in and out of the wood. It was hitting a limiter.
Called different saw shops (Madsen's included) they all said the same thing. The carb is limited.
Called different saw builders, they all said the same thing. "Change the carb and coil."
I got a different carb, and wahla - she runs like a rapped ape. Holds its rpm in the cut and out of the wood.
I am sure if I wanted a milling saw I would have had no issues with what the saw came with.
As far as the control valves, the 880 carb has one, but unlike the 088, 084 carb there is no hook on the end of it to move the diaphram.
Good night.

Saw is done.
After a different coil (088) and carb (HT-7A) she is unlimited. Got er' nice and fat at 13,700 until the rings seat.
Got a 9 tooth and a 36" bar.
Squish is at .032, (.030 pop up), cylinder plug, lot's of porting, lightened piston, opened exhaust outlet and added an auxilary port. Running a Max-Flo air system and am going to modifly the stock cover to go over it.
This saw is not for milling. It is for pleasure only.
I will see if I can get a video in the next couple days.

Wow. Impressive. Hope to see it cut sometime. :clap:

Other than that cool factor, which is undeniably high in this case, what does an 880 with a 36" bar get you that a hopped up 660 with a 42" doesn't?

Looking forward to the build/videos/etc.

An empty wallet:cry:. Trust me on this one.

Bragging rights. Kind of like that there Predator saw.......more is better.

Sounds mean!

Can't wait to see the video. Do you have any pics of the work you did?

Latest posts

Back