New poster/ Help identify this Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will perform like an 046 should perform, given that the engine is in good condition. However, it's unknown at this point which carburetor you have.

What should I look for on the carburetor? I will tear into this thing tonight or tomorrow.

Correct. What you have there is a Frankensaw. If you look closely you'll see the main shroud/cylinder cover is 046, and the crankcase is the longer 046 version. So it's an 046 with an 044 tank, filter base, and air filter cover.

You can also see that the muffler is the 046 muffler, not 044.

Cool, I thought that was a 046 top cover. Wasn't sure about the tank though.

What should I look for on the carburetor? I will tear into this thing tonight or tomorrow.

On the side of the carb you'll see the letters "HD" cast into the body, and underneath there will be some model numbers for the carb. They will either be cast into the body as well, or laser-etched.

Pull the chain brake cover and look at the oil pump,044 has a oil line ,rubber or metal, and the 046 has no oil line. Same with the o64, oil line, and the 066 does not. 064 and 066 has a red carb holder and is removeable. Bottom of 44 and 64 jug is thinner than the 046 and 066.

Hey Chip, this is why it would not turn over.----- mud duabbers

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

piston is shot. bearings feel nice. i have a so-so p/c that i'll put on it.

looks like about three or four of the saws have bad bearings and three of them have useable pistons. Ill keep you posted i ran that 044 after i got home and am not sure exactly what was wrong. maybe i should have....... i don't know. anyway its worked out now. Hey if that guy gets any more like this let me know...

JJ was right. i have the saw now and it is a 046 with a 044 gastank. i have the 046 gastank that came off it. after a small repair i should go back on just fine....

Magnum !

ok... So exactly what does magnum mean?

Sawdustmaker --

Magnum originated from France, I believe. It is simply a LARGE[R] Bottle of wine than a normal one.

HollyWood though.....

Magnum is now one of the finest "sales terms" ever devised. Ever here of Dirty Harry? .44 Magnum?

It brings to mind, Powerful, Big, Awesome, Desirable, The Best!
Many companies have used "Magnum" to enhance their product's image.
It works.

In this case, STIHL 044/046, et.al. & up ... qualify.
Your saw must have some of the same bloodlines as Dirty Harry's .44 Mag.
Got to be better, right?

Sounds good reading the sticker on the saw doesn't it ??

Regards.

kinda like "farnboss" as discussed in another thread this week.

"Yes, i have a Magnum chainsaw. It is therefor better than all other saws"

Back