"New" Saw - 038AV 67 cc Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeclimbing

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I unwrapped my "new" saw today, built by a reputable dealer from Denham Springs, Louisiana. It had been in the mail for almost 2 weeks. Here's some pictures:
View attachment 202766View attachment 202768View attachment 202769

I couldn't wait to assemble the bar and open the old style caps, fuel it up with 40:1 synthetic stihl/91octane mixture and give it a run.
It started on the 3rd pull even though it was shipped completley dry. With the new chain on the 24" bar it sliced through the test log every bit as well as the new stock 71cc 372. It sounds good; he said he tacked the revs at 11k. It really flies though the wood and I'm looking forward to taking it out for a good test this weekend.

Has anyone owned or run an 038AV Super before, and what did you think of it? I know it's not pretty like a new saw but it sure runs.

Joe

I unwrapped my "new" saw today, built by a reputable dealer from Denham Springs, Louisiana. It had been in the mail for almost 2 weeks. Here's some pictures:
View attachment 202766View attachment 202768View attachment 202769

I couldn't wait to assemble the bar and open the old style caps, fuel it up with 40:1 synthetic stihl/91octane mixture and give it a run.
It started on the 3rd pull even though it was shipped completley dry. With the new chain on the 24" bar it sliced through the test log every bit as well as the new stock 71cc 372. It sounds good; he said he tacked the revs at 11k. It really flies though the wood and I'm looking forward to taking it out for a good test this weekend.

Has anyone owned or run an 038AV Super before, and what did you think of it? I know it's not pretty like a new saw but it sure runs.

Joe
202766d1318563246-arbutus-ridge-farm-007-jpg

202767d1318563261-arbutus-ridge-farm-001-jpg

202770d1318563305-arbutus-ridge-farm-004-jpg

202768-arbutus-ridge-farm-002-jpg

I put your pics in. Congrats on the new saw.

They are a fine saw I have a couple and a MagII. There are lighter and faster saws but I still reach for the 038 Super. :rock:

Here is one. It is wearing a Bow for this next GTG.

100_1843 by supercabs78, on Flickr

I had to take a driver out of that chain it was to long, its fixed now.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I put your pics in. Congrats on the new saw.

They are a fine saw I have a couple and a MagII. There are lighter and faster saws but I still reach for the 038 Super. :rock:

Here is one. It is wearing a Bow for this next GTG.

100_1843 by supercabs78, on Flickr

I had to take a driver out of that chain it was to long, its fixed now.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback, Sawcollector, and also for posting the pictures up! Yours looks real good in a bow and it's nice to know you its one of your favourites. I'm going to like this saw.
Take care.
Joe

I have one, and it's a great saw. Always starts right up and cuts real nice. Mine normally wears a 24" B&C to compliment my 024 with the 16"

Joe, congratulation's on the saw. We have a few still in service, at the county. Good rock solid saw's. The 038 was a real popular one, and saw alot of mag2's. That one will run a long time for you.

100_1849 by supercabs78, on Flickr

If I had the wood off of the ground I could have pushed the bar all the way through.

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=16da484c33&photo_id=6194814634" height="300" width="400"></embed>

Joe, congratulation's on the saw. We have a few still in service, at the county. Good rock solid saw's. The 038 was a real popular one, and saw alot of mag2's. That one will run a long time for you.

Thanks, Norm. I'm definitely getting the CAD bug, especially for older models. I want to talk to you offline sometime about my Will.

Joe

Latest posts

Back