New saw, $250 limit???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5c7c9

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks:
I cut under 2 cords of firewood a year, a lot of it being poplar, and nothing over 10", I am looking for a new saw of some sort in the "up to $250 range", what would you recommend? Please don't say "spend more money" that is not an option.
Please consider the reconditioned saws also, I really like the looks of the small Husky's, are they ok?
Thanks in advance!!

If used is a option?

Look around for a clean used Stihl 026.

But from what you described a reconditioned husky may fit the bill.

Not saying the poulan is a bad choice but have you thought about buying a used saw ? you should be able to pick up a good used stihl or husky for $250. Impo i would go with a brand that has a local serviceing dealer . I run mostly stihls i would suggest a 025,ms250,026,or if you can find a good condition 028 wb there a little heavier as is the 029 also . but both are built like tanks and should last a very long time. check around some saw shops and pawn shops. A compression gauge is a good cheap investment also . Or have the saw shop test compression and pull muffler so you can see cylinder . If they wont do that for you then walk away!! a good saw should have no less than 120lbs compression the more the better! and the cylinder should be smooth and free of vertical lines . a really low hr saw should still have horizonal lines showing on the piston. Husksy is also a very good saw Thou I havent ran very many of there smaller saws any XP saw is an excellent saw! Good luck ! Oh ya if your gonna buy a saw from e-bay e-mail the seller and ask them 2 gaurentee it 2 be a good saw if they wont then dont buy! A lot of as is junk being sold nowadays!

The Poulan 330 does come to mind. I'll also bet that you maybe able to find a NIB Husky 350 somewhere.

Seen a couple husky 450s sell on ebay for around $250.00 there suppose 2 be a pretty good saw as is the 460 .

Lots of discontinued new and factory reconditioned Huskys on ebay. Pick a dealer with good feedback and you're good to go.
Shipping will be about $15.00. Models to consider in your price range: 350, 345, 435, 445, 450. All of these saws are reasonably light with enough power to do the job for you.

Last edited:
Here is a 48" for half your budget! You said some sort of saw, right??? LoL!

Now that just might be a bit slower than I had figured on! :greenchainsaw:

$125 for that?

I've seen competitions where those things are almost as fast as a power saw.

I want a one-man CC saw for bucking when I retire... to keep in shape.

CraigsList

MS290's can be found all day long from $200 to $300 on CL. All the saw you will ever need. I just sold a very nice MS250 for just shy of $200 they would be an excellent choice as well.

I know $250 was your limit,but you can save your pennies and get a real nice Pro grade saw shipped to your door for $299 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Cub-Cadet-CS-5720-Commercial/dp/B002LVVB4A

Though it appears they are out of stock at the moment.

You're not going to get much more than the smallest of limbing saws for $250. You're pretty much limited to the used market at that price. Bump it up a little and you can get a pro built Dolmar 420.

Cub Cadet 56cc saw on Amazon for 299.99 to your door. Made by EFCO made in Italy, five year warranty, pro-construction, 4.1 hp, look at the efco saws on Bailey's site for the specs. Very close to a stock 361 Stihl. Great air filtration, easy on fuel, IMHO the best bang for the buck. We run the same saw in the John Deere colors in our wood cutting operation and have had zero issues in commercial cutting conditions/useage. It'll handle anything up to 24" wood with ease. Spend the extra 40.00 and get something that will last you a lifetime with your cutting requirements.

Cub Cadet 56cc saw on Amazon for 299.99 to your door. Made by EFCO made in Italy, five year warranty, pro-construction, 4.1 hp, look at the efco saws on Bailey's site for the specs. Very close to a stock 361 Stihl. Great air filtration, easy on fuel, IMHO the best bang for the buck. We run the same saw in the John Deere colors in our wood cutting operation and have had zero issues in commercial cutting conditions/useage. It'll handle anything up to 24" wood with ease. Spend the extra 40.00 and get something that will last you a lifetime with your cutting requirements.

+1 on that. i have a neighbor that bought one of these for $299 and it is a damn fine saw for what it costs. powerful and easy starting. cough up that extra $50 cause this saw is certainly worth more than it's $299 shipped price.

other than this Cub Cadet 56cc saw --staying around $250-$300 can bring in a commercial class saw used. hit some pawn shops and saw dealers or visit the our trading post i have seen some really nice saws on there lately at some very good prices. and most AS members here won't steer you wrong. you got plenty of folks here for a second opinion too!
good luck & happy chainsawing!:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back