New Saw for Dad...Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be the one to go out on a limb here. Check out a dolmar ps35. Yes it's a plastic home owner saw but is holding up well for my customers that cut a fair amount of wood. It's light and smooth. Easy starting.

that suckers taching at 15600. of course i wouldnt be cutting stuff that size with it but it shows that it has a pair. should make a hell of a limber.

I would guess it's just shy of 11lbs (based on what I usually see of Husky specs vs real numbers. If so, it gives up a huge amount of power vs the 550 just save a couple of ounces.

id rather have this than any 346 or 550 (and I own Randy's very best 346/2153 he's ever done). Finger ported 254. Build quality of the 2 series saw is undeniable.

Still, a 13lb saw...not for this guy's dad.

I have a 254 on the way. I'm not sure what the hype is all about bc it's a detuned 262 the way I see it. I guess if it's that good, I'll be a happy camper.

Randy does build a great saw.

id rather have this than any 346 or 550 (and I own Randy's very best 346/2153 he's ever done). Finger ported 254. Build quality of the 2 series saw is undeniable.

Those are nice, but larger/heavier than a 346/550. So not apples to apples.

I have a ported 357xp that looks like it might be faster. ;)

Those are nice, but larger/heavier than a 346/550. So not apples to apples.

I have a ported 357xp that looks like it might be faster. ;)

saw weight means nothing to me.;) after 10 years of del, repoing, and move storage buildings and carrying 10's of thousands of concrete block.... I could limb with the 395 or 655 and be "fine as frogs hair":p
that's first tank of fuel after getting a new piston and rings.:buttkick:and the heated handles work:D

saw weight means nothing to me.;) after 10 years of del, repoing, and move storage buildings and carrying 10's of thousands of concrete block.... I could limb with the 395 or 655 and be "fine as frogs hair":p
that's first tank of fuel after getting a new piston and rings.:buttkick:and the heated handles work:D
Fair enough, but we are all different and we are all not the same age. ;)

Got Dads spliter put together today.
He is a happy camper. [emoji4]
9813a65f9115561e384b34d24da0124d.jpg

You will not find a better saw than the MS241 in its size. If you want smaller yet, I don't really know what to recommend. I'm very partial to the best professional grade saws. I do love my little MS150, but not sure that's a good idea here.
How about the ms201 rear handle version. That would be really light with good power?

Just another vote for Dolmar 421. Had an extended hands-on this spring. It'll put a smile on your face. By all indications, it is very solidly built. Smooth and powerful, IMHO. Crazy-reasonable price- buy two.

You have a local dealer. I'd ask for a little test-drive. Can't hurt.

Just another vote for Dolmar 421. Had an extended hands-on this spring. It'll put a smile on your face. By all indications, it is very solidly built. Smooth and powerful, IMHO. Crazy-reasonable price- buy two.

You have a local dealer. I'd ask for a little test-drive. Can't hurt.
I will check them out the next time I get there.

Got Dads spliter put together today.
He is a happy camper. [emoji4]
9813a65f9115561e384b34d24da0124d.jpg

Your Dad's a lucky guy......and I suspect you are too.

He's self-motivated to keep it moving, and if he does, he'll be with you a long time. My Dad had to stop at 83, and passed a year ago just a couple weeks short of 92. He built his own splitter, and mostly burned logs rejected from a local sawmill.....all he had to do was drive his dump truck down there and they'd load him....he'd split enough at a time to load the bucket on his skid steer, then dump it in the shed beside his outdoor furnace.

Blessings to you both.

Thanks
I am sorry to hear about your Dad, it's always tough to lose someone who is close.
My Grandpa has been gone since 96 and there is hardly a day that goes by that he doesn't pop into my head. He was my Hero and I wish I could be a quarter of the Man that he was.

Back