"new saw" help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grudy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I know people ask this all the time, but I'm really stuck on what saw to get. A little back round; I cut fire wood for 3 families, and sell a small amount to friends. I do a lot of side job with my saw (once people know you got it, you gotta use it). I currently have a 346xp ne which was ported by brad. I love this saw and up until now I really haven't needed anything else. I just purchased another 346 out of the classifieds for my brother and as a spare. I really don't want anything to heavy, I think a 70cc should be the answer. I want a NEW saw because I'm a clean freak and take really good care of my tools and equipment. I don't want someone's saw that has been in the back of the truck for 2 years and looks like it was in a war. My first thoughts are 372xp old edition, 7900, or a 440 with a 460 topend (I already have the topend). My husky dealer sucks, stihl is everywhere here, and dolmar is just catching on. I think a 24" bar would be my max, and I might even run a 20" and switch to the 24" when needed.

The 372XP is a “can’t miss” saw. Lots of power and light for a 70cc saw. It’s been stated recently that the Stihl 440 has been released again but a little $$$. Nothing cleaner than new. :eek:uttahere2::blob2::eek:uttahere2:

Go with the dealer support over brand, whenever there is a dearth of variety.

Husky parts are available without having to pay nosebleed prices from a dealer.
The support that comes from a dealer when ordering parts can be priceless.

Although you would play hell finding local dealer support for a 440/460 mutant, other than ordering parts.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I think you're on the right track with a 70cc saw. All the saws you mentioned would be great. Just handle them and see which one you like best.

I currently have a 346xp ne which was ported by brad. I love this saw and up until now I really haven't needed anything else. I just purchased another 346 out of the classifieds for my brother and as a spare.

I was thinking about buying one of those two in the classifieds for my brother. He wants one of my 346s bad, but I don't want to get rid of one.:)

50cc and 70cc is a great combo. I'd personally have to get a 372xp. But that's just me!

Hey Grudy,
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the 044 / 440 brothers...tough, strong, and last forever given good care. You have the Husky, so mix it up with a new Stihl! Dealer support is important, so find a good one and be loyal, it's a win/win.

70cc with 20" bar will pull fantastic, nice balance too. 24" ok as well, only a little nose heavy. If ya go to a 28", get the Stihl ES SuperLight, it will get that balance back for ya, and give you that extra reach...which is sometimes nice if your wood is bucking on the ground.

Either way, when ya get your new saw home send pics! We love new saw pics...:msp_razz:

I was thinking about buying one of those two in the classifieds for my brother. He wants one of my 346s bad, but I don't want to get rid of one.:)

50cc and 70cc is a great combo. I'd personally have to get a 372xp. But that's just me!

"Just" me as well, and many others......:D

Thanks for all the replies guys, I know these thread can be annoy as hell, but I just really need that push.:msp_smile: I stopped by the dolmar dealer and fondled the 7900, which does look very bulky but is surprising light. He also had the new jonny 2172 and it looked and felt nice( damn another option).

attachment.php
Thanks for all the replies guys, I know these thread can be annoy as hell, but I just really need that push.:msp_smile: I stopped by the dolmar dealer and fondled the 7900, which does look very bulky but is surprising light. He also had the new jonny 2172 and it looked and felt nice( damn another option).

Take a walk on the dark side Grudy... I give you... "The other German saw"...

Just do it... You know you want to...

The 2172 is basically the same saw as the 372. Either of these saws or the 7900 would be a good match with your 346. If you want a cheaper option the 2165, 365, and 7300 are also models to look at and somewhat less expensive.

If stihl is everywhere, 440 with 460 top end or if you're feeling like spending some money a new 460. I wouldn't trade my 460 for anything. Great saw.

Latest posts

Back