New saw...MS260 or.....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeguyinoh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for a new saw in the 50 cc class. Probably go with a MS 260 pro unless one of you guys can talk me into something else. Who has one of the newer 260's, and how is it? I think that they have the flippy caps like 200t, which is not my favorite, but I will probably have to get used to them. Anyway, just looking for any horror stories that you may have bout the late model saws. I also assume that this saw does not have a plastic crankcase, if I'm wrong, please let me know.
Thanks, Dennis

They are awesome saws. Well built, split mag crankcase, and a "pro" saw in every sense. The filter system is the only thing I dont like about them, and even then, it does a good job of filtering. It has been replaced with the MS261, and according to those who have them, they are the "top dog" in the 50cc saw class.

Stihl MS261 Link

I believe that all of the MS saws have the flippy caps. If you don't like them look at a Husky 346xp. Some say it is the best 50cc saw out there....dont forget the MS261 is out in some areas too.

The MS261 does everything so much better than the MS260 Pro, even though the 260 is a good saw.

Any chance to run all your choices? Every one has Pros and Cons.

what does the 261 cost? I was trying to stay around $500, if they get proud of the 261, I may lean toward the 362. I cant seem to find anyone online who can price the 261.

Skip the outdated 260 and get a 261 or 346.

Listen to Brad. I own a 260 and it is a great reliable saw. But if you are going to lay down the change for a new one, go with a model he suggests....... they do things better at just a little more weight.

If you're a tree guy like your name states I'd step up to at least a MS362. The 260's are nice, and from what I hear the 261's are better yet but you won't see enough of a difference between them and your 200T to justify pulling one up the tree to work with. By the time I'm done with my 200T I'm usually into 12" or better wood which only gets bigger very quickly. Most guys I know go from the 200T straight to the 440/441 or 372/576 if your a husky fan. Depending on the tree I trade my 200T for a MS361 or jump right to my 395XP husky. I just don't find the need for a 50cc saw in the tree.

If you're a tree guy like your name states I'd step up to at least a MS362. The 260's are nice, and from what I hear the 261's are better yet but you won't see enough of a difference between them and your 200T to justify pulling one up the tree to work with. By the time I'm done with my 200T I'm usually into 12" or better wood which only gets bigger very quickly. Most guys I know go from the 200T straight to the 440/441 or 372/576 if your a husky fan. Depending on the tree I trade my 200T for a MS361 or jump right to my 395XP husky. I just don't find the need for a 50cc saw in the tree.

The 261 is WAY more saw than a 200T, seriously.

The 261 is WAY more saw than a 200T, seriously.

No doubt, Brad. I was afraid that would get misconstrued. Point I was making was simply that by the time a climber is ready to start chunking wood a 50cc saw will only get him through a few cuts before he wants something bigger. The hassle of pulling up a new saw every 3 cuts isn't worth just pulling up the bigger saw to start with is all I was after.

Well, I have been a tree guy for a while, but at this point and for a while, I have been doing mostly clearing work near and in a larger metropolitan area(columbus OH). Most everything I get into can be divided into : 200t, 031, 660, or forestry mower(my fave). I rarely climb at this point, I have a bucket and find a 660 with a 28" takes care of most of it, if i have to climb, I make the quote worth my while to be lugging a 660 round in a tree. I am mostly looking to replace my 031 with something newer, 260 seemed like a logical choice, 261 looks good. I have checked out Brads thread and looks like a great saw. The challenge is going to be, I think, finding one around here.

Well, I have been a tree guy for a while, but at this point and for a while, I have been doing mostly clearing work near and in a larger metropolitan area(columbus OH). Most everything I get into can be divided into : 200t, 031, 660, or forestry mower(my fave). I rarely climb at this point, I have a bucket and find a 660 with a 28" takes care of most of it, if i have to climb, I make the quote worth my while to be lugging a 660 round in a tree. I am mostly looking to replace my 031 with something newer, 260 seemed like a logical choice, 261 looks good. I have checked out Brads thread and looks like a great saw. The challenge is going to be, I think, finding one around here.

You shouldn't have any problem getting a 261 in the area that Bryan Power Equipment services. I would thing you would be.

I can't imagine anything better for a climber bucking up bigger wood than a ported 261 with a 20" or 24" B&C.

Perhaps. But most tree guys aren't saw guys. I was referencing mainly stock use as most tree guys run their saws that way or with a mild muff mod. Geeked out saws are the shiznit but most tree services don't have the time to play with them like that. Wasn't it only a year or so back that you were surprised a local tree service blew up your beautifully worked ?346? Unfortunately, in the urban tree world ( which I'm still assuming the OP comes from, lol ) our #### gets beat up. The saws ride to and from each jobsite in the back of a pickup, usually surrounded by chunks of wood, inexperienced groundies dig chains into the dirt and blacktop. Metal, rocks, dirt and concrete are common obstacles in the trunk. We all finish out butt cuts with a dull saw to avoid sharpening and immediately dulling the chain. Basically, our saws have it rough, and we do not have the time or know how to keep a prime, ported, perfect saw screaming through every cut so we run stock, for the most part, and require something with a bit more ass in the tree than a 50cc. This is just my opinion, of course, I've grown accustomed to running my 200T till it can't take the wood no more and then calling down for a larger saw, at which point I'll need at least a 60cc or better saw to get me through the rest of the tree.

About the only thing that points in the direction of the MS260 is the low weight. The 026 once was about state of the art, but that is a long time ago! ;)

Blake is on the right trail here. Saw junkies usually just don't quite understand the tree service side of things. It all comes down to preferences/style of the owner. For the little bit of climbing I have done, 200t is the cat's meow but you wouldn't find me making 12" cuts with it. I like a 50cc and up for ~8" and up. Also, for example, I would never run a 261 with a >=20" bar in the tree.

As for the original post, it seems you tend to run stihl saws. The ms260 is a solid saw and would be a good choice. Not the most powerful saw compared to other brands but besides a few small quirks, they have gotten the job done day in, day out. We run a few at the tree company I work for and they cut well with a muffler mod and 16" bar and chain (full 3/8").

As for the 261, we have all seen the hype here on AS but none of the new owners are in the professional field. Also, I know of one report from a respected stihl mechanic and collector, who said the 261 runs good but it wasn't that all that and bag of chips. Overall, who knows what people will think of them in a few years. However, it is a rarity when stihl lays an egg with a new product.

So let's say it is down to the 261 or 260, I would handle both, maybe run both and then go with the one you like the best and fits your price range.

Latest posts

Back