New saw: MS290 or Jred 2152 or Dolmar 510/5100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warped5

WingNut
Reaction score
Good morning, scouts!

So I have been eyeing the purchase of a NEW saw .... I don't have any problem in my area with dealer support of any of the above three brands.

I saw the threads mentioning the 5100 overheating problems. Are these resolved? Is there any way to identify a 5100 that could be vulnerable?

The creamsicle is well documented here ...

I don't know a whole lot about the Jred line, aside that they are owned by Husky ....

I'm just looking for what you fellers have to say .... throw in your $.02!

Thanks in advance!

I haven't had any overheating issues with my 5100, and I run the snot out of it. But it is properly tuned.

I'm far from an expert but I just went through deciding on a new saw and got a ton of great advice from the good people here (I got a Husky 346xp). I loved my old Jonsered and looked into a new one but from what I can tell and what others have said here J-red is now exactly the same as Husky, only in my area it's much more expensive.

There should be a corresponding Husky model to the J-red 2152 that might save you some money unless you really want a red saw instead of orange. I think the Husky equilalent is the 353. I think the J-red version of the 346xp is the 2153. If I'm wrong, somebody please feel free to correct me.

I tried to insert a link to another thread from this site that discusses this but I must be screwing it up. Anyway, the thread is called
Husqvarna 346xp or Jonsered 2152?

This is my recent thread about buying a new saw. Lots of good advice from experts in there.
Choosing new 50cc saw, Dolmar, Husky, Stihl, Jonsereds?

The Dolmar 510 was also a finalist for me and I came very close to getting it because of the much lower price but I just liked the 346xp too much. The Dolmar 5100 I think was replaced with the 5105 which I think resolved the overheating issues some people were experiencing.

I don't know much about the Stihl 290 but everyone seems pretty excited about the new MS261 but they are pricey.

That's my $.02 but there are more knowledgable people than me on here that may have different/better info and advice.

Good luck, enjoy your new saw whatever one you decide on.

Carl -

Thanks! All is duly noted and I will look for those posts.

The weird thing here is that the dealer that carries Jred also has nearly the entire Husky product line - except saws! There are no other Husky dealers nearby. He is also the Dolmar guy, so I'll check for the 5105.

MS261 is indeed pricey and I don't spend money (that I don't have) like the idiots in DC.

Stihl does have the new MS 291 listed. But if you can come up with the extra coin for the MS 261 20" B&C do it. I decided to buy that based on the feedback here on this saw. The 346XP was in the mix.

I wish the idiots in DC would get a clue and spend our money more responsibly like you do!

I have to admit I overspent a little on the xp for what I need but I love the saw and intend to make it last a couple decades.

dolmar 5100s

As an aside, I just picked up a 5100s. Looked very good all around. Ran it briefly but wasnt too impressed. Seemed on the lean side too. So, with in mind to tune in wood, I dialed the H a quarter turn out... that was to the limit! Huh...? Started it, warmed up and cut: now it's 4strokin out and 2strokin in the cut, sounds right , seems to have come alive, cuts great, and now I may keep it around awhile, haha! Just surprised me how lean it was set!! Probably came like that from the dealer.
So, if the 5105 is an improved version, I'd say it's worth a look..

Update

Just got back from the local saw guy's shop.

He was out on an emergency call and his helper is more of a shop worker than a sales counter kinda guy ....

Jonsered is now outta the running .... too many $$

The nearest Husky shop is too far away ....

So it's coming down to the MS290 OR the Dolmar 5100. I'll be leaning heavily toward the Dolmar if the guy will put a 20" B&C on it while beating the Stihl dealer price.

Stay tuned ....

my jred dealer has the 2152 for $430 and 2153 for $490 and the husky versions (353 and 346) were about the same. i know its not a pro saw but what about the jred 2250 or 2255? just an idea

+2 They are all good !

My MS290 feels heavier to me than my 5100s. I've never weighed them, though.
I haven't had a chance to run the MS290 yet. I can give you a more thorough opinion after
I run it next to the Dolmar. I hope to do that this weekend.

Last edited:
Sunfish, do I sense you are getting tired of all of the "Help me pick a new saw threads" lately? :dizzy: I agonized over which saw to get since I had to spend wisely but I really appreciated your help and all the others who responded to my thread, thanks again. I have to go back and dish out some rep.

As far as the J-red 2250, I think it is similar to the old 2050 I have which is a nice saw but not pro grade which might be fine. Saw Troll said it was different, the replacement for the replacement of the 2050 but I am thinking the build quality is similar and the same basic size and weight but the 2250 will be a much newer, nicer saw. When running, my 2050 is a pretty snappy saw and I like it quite a bit. I just could not see paying extra money for a Husky painted red this time around.

As an aside, I just picked up a 5100s. Looked very good all around. Ran it briefly but wasnt too impressed. Seemed on the lean side too. So, with in mind to tune in wood, I dialed the H a quarter turn out... that was to the limit! Huh...? Started it, warmed up and cut: now it's 4strokin out and 2strokin in the cut, sounds right , seems to have come alive, cuts great, and now I may keep it around awhile, haha! Just surprised me how lean it was set!! Probably came like that from the dealer.
So, if the 5105 is an improved version, I'd say it's worth a look..
I believe this is very close to the truth;

The 5100S came lean from the factory, for EPA reasons - the dealer should have corrected it before he handed it to you.

I don't think they need to set the 5105 as lean, as the cat muffler probably takes care of the EPA issue. Max rpm has also been lowered from 14,500 to 13,800. Engine cooling has also been improved, according to the marketing (no reason to doubt it).

Too bad your Jonsered Dealer is so far away, that would be my number one recomendation for several reasons.
1. its a great saw
2. one can always find a j-red/husky dealer
3.parts are avilable online easily in the USA (sorry Stihl)
4. I my experience Dolmar dealers ( at least north of the 49th are like Santa Claus, he's here one minute gone the next and support is very limited.

All three are good saws in there own class.

We don't have Dolmars here, but you can get a MS290 here for about $370. I did. It's a good saw and I've run the heck out of it. According to the "spec" sheet it's a little weighty (13lbs) for it's power output (3.8hp). I seriously doubt a man would notice the "extra" weight, I don't. Mine pulls great with the 20" bar and yellow chain. I've begun to doubt whether many of the saws detractors have ever used one. I truly believe they're just doing some math based on what they've read in the catalog spec sheets. I've bucked around 5 cords of mostly dry oak and it has performed well. Hope this helps.

We don't have Dolmars here, but you can get a MS290 here for about $370. I did. It's a good saw and I've run the heck out of it. According to the "spec" sheet it's a little weighty (13lbs) for it's power output (3.8hp). I seriously doubt a man would notice the "extra" weight, I don't. Mine pulls great with the 20" bar and yellow chain. I've begun to doubt whether many of the saws detractors have ever used one. I truly believe they're just doing some math based on what they've read in the catalog spec sheets. I've bucked around 5 cords of mostly dry oak and it has performed well. Hope this helps.

Just forget the MS290, it is a lot lesser quality than the other saws listed, and an overheavy/overbulky lump of vibrating plastic.

Just forget the MS290, it is a lot lesser quality than the other saws listed, and an overheavy/overbulky lump of vibrating plastic.

True, not impressive on paper, but I've cut with one... Didn't seem finicky, and had "decent" power. I think the HP rating from Stihl might be a little misleading. Wouldn't want to rebuild it, but you probably wouldn't have to...

The MS290 is Stihl's best selling saw period. It's been that for quite some time and for good reason. My dealer laughs when I tell him what is posted about it here. He's not seen many come back in his nearly 41 years of servicing and selling Stihl saws and deems them very reliable and probably the best power / dollar saw he sells.

Not to pick a fight, or argue with Sawtroll, who I'm sure is full of valuable information, but when it comes to this saw, I really don't believe he's ever picked one up and run one. He's always in favor of pushing "pro" saws like the 360 etc.. without trying justify price, or need. The weight is negligable and the small amount of additional power isn't needed if you're cutting wood mostly less than 16# diameter. Plastic? Yeah, just like the rest of the Stihls and Huskys out there. Don't drop the dang thing, or run over it with your truck and you'll be fine. The Husky 455 weighs about the same, cost is equivelent and has about the same horse power, so it would be a toss-up between them in my opinion.

Steve

Latest posts

Back