New Saw or Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think anyone on here just has one saw, you need at least two. One to cut the tree down and one to cut the other saw out of a pinch, everyone does it. I can make it through, just a little more wood to cut, then it happens. Or go after the loader to lift it out of the bind. Don't bend the bar, just leave it there and hang your head.

If your tall I recommend a longer bar and a saw big enough to power it. We run 460's in the woods all day ( when falling timber) with 32" bars. I'm 6'5, so it helps my back out a lot. 360,361 etc are great saws, groundies use them everyday but would not bar up over 20" just my 2 cents.

Buy felling wedges and use them, even if it looks like an easy drop. That'll avoid a lot of pinched bars. Hammer them in tight as soon as you have enough kerf behind the bar to do so and keep them that way until the tree is on the ground.

A 60cc pro saw is a good all around 1 saw plan. If you are using one saw all day, anything bigger than 60cc is really going to hurt after awhile (my humble firewood cutter opinion).

Two saw plan could be something like 40cc and 60cc. You could probably get an 026 and an 044 for less than a brand new 362.

If you aren't afraid of used, you can save a lot of money.
By the same token, using a smaller saw than needed will work the operator MUCH harder. A strong saw makes the work SO much easier on the operator.

I as well would strongly recommend the 461.

lots of good points above
It sounds like you want a new Stihl for a few months of heavy use on 40 acres felling up to 30" trees.
The MS461 is perfect for this, I would get 2 bars so you can unpinch with a less expensive shorter nimble bar when you inevitably pinch the 32" :)
If your dealer is recommending a 391 for the work you describe, make sure you know where there is a second dealer in case that clown cant fix a problem with your new MS461 if it arises.
Invest in comfortable chaps and safety glasses at a minimum, if they aren't comfy you likely wont wear them. Get a decent stack of plastic wedges.
Lots of great saws available in the trading post here but a warranty from a dealer sounds like a good fit for you with this purchase. ASk the dealer about the extended homeowner warranty with the purchase of Motomix.

Dave

I'd like to hear some more input from the OP on the exact usage of the saw. Are you going to clear cut 40 acres? Are you just going to clean up some deadfall and fell some trees to clear a building site? How many trees do you think you'll be felling. 10? 50? more than 100? Are you going to cut the trees up into firewood? logs? sections to cart to a burn pile?
While the 461 is a fine saw, I suspect it may be more saw than you need but not sure yet what the need is. As far as the 30" trees, is that the max size and you'll be doing two of them or are there dozens of them that need to be sliced up?

I can't brag enough on my 461 with 20" bar. It's the only saw I have.

Highly recommend a 461, would get the r model. We'll worth the extra money for what you get.

Back