New Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomGraz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
At some peril, I'm looking for a recommendation for a new saw. I know there are as many opinions as there are saws out there. But I'm trying to make an informed decision before I buy.

I'm going to be cutting firewood for a Civil War reenactment and for myself. With about 5 saws together, we put up 12 or 13 cords. We try to keep to hardwood, and avoid pine altogether. Usually it’s oak but we’ll get a lot of sweet gum because folks seem to want to be rid of it.

I’ve been using a saw with an 18” bar. That seems adequate for most of what we’re doing. On occasions it hasn’t been enough to get through a tree. A 20” or better would be a good compliment to what I have now.

I’ve been using a Stihl 025 for the past dozen years and I’ve been happy with it. It still runs well but I’m having trouble finding a chain that fits properly. That’s for another topic. I used a friends Husqvarna and liked it. I don’t remember the model, but I might like to try one.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tom

meez says

pro sawz are a better choice:popcorn:

260pro 20" bar non safety chain is my choice:clap:

Makita Model DCS 6401 Chainsaw with 20" Bar non safety chain:clap:

Todd, thanks but I think I'll stick with a more recent saw.:greenchainsaw:

I looked at the 346. It specs out a lot like the saw I have now. Does the 362 get the same rating?

Any thoughts on the Stihl MS 390? It's not shown in the pro line of saws but looks like the size I had in mind.

Todd, thanks but I think I'll stick with a more recent saw.:greenchainsaw:

I looked at the 346. It specs out a lot like the saw I have now. Does the 362 get the same rating?

Any thoughts on the Stihl MS 390? It's not shown in the pro line of saws but looks like the size I had in mind.

The 346 and the 025 are not even in the same league!! The 346 will make you smile!

390 is built like a 290 which is a clamshell. It's very hard to get excited about them. Lots of plastic, not good av, etc.

If you're spending the money for the 390 and looking in that range consider (stihl) 361 or 362.

If you want to go husky look for 359 or 357xp. You should be able to land a 359 for around $520ish locally if you shop around. I think 98% of people will agree that between the 390 and a 359 the 359 is a much more desirable saw. Somehow MSRP crept up on 357xps to beyond $650, which makes a 372 much more attractive.

MGF

At some peril, I'm looking for a recommendation for a new saw. I know there are as many opinions as there are saws out there. But I'm trying to make an informed decision before I buy.

I'm going to be cutting firewood for a Civil War reenactment and for myself. With about 5 saws together, we put up 12 or 13 cords. We try to keep to hardwood, and avoid pine altogether. Usually it’s oak but we’ll get a lot of sweet gum because folks seem to want to be rid of it.

I’ve been using a saw with an 18” bar. That seems adequate for most of what we’re doing. On occasions it hasn’t been enough to get through a tree. A 20” or better would be a good compliment to what I have now.

I’ve been using a Stihl 025 for the past dozen years and I’ve been happy with it. It still runs well but I’m having trouble finding a chain that fits properly. That’s for another topic. I used a friends Husqvarna and liked it. I don’t remember the model, but I might like to try one.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tom

Sounds like you "want" a MS361 - forget the low-quality MS390! :)

It also sounds like your 025 needs a new bar, and probably a new sprocket as well!

Last edited:

If you're currently running a 50cc saw (or smaller) with .325 chain, and you want more saw, the next "full" step up is something that can competently run 3/8 pitch chain in bigger hardwood. That would mean a 60cc saw (or bigger) if you want to run a 20" bar and 3/8 chain.

MS361, MS362, 357XP, Makita 6401/Dolmar 6400

Husqvarna 359, MS390 (lower power-to-weight, more vibes, not for me)

Or you can go 70cc and grin from ear to ear! (Be careful--your wife will think you have a mistress.)

372XP/372XPW/576XP, MS441, Dolmar 7300/7900

Last edited:
For a 20'' or larger bar I would forget the 346, 260 and the 5100. You are correct to say the the 346 is close to your 025 even though many will disagree they are still close in cc and that is obviously what you don't want. Alot of guys on here bash the 390 but it is a good dependable saw that will pull a 25'' bar just fine. If you want a pro saw then look at the 361, 362 or husky 357, 359.

For a 20'' or larger bar I would forget the 346, 260 and the 5100. You are correct to say the the 346 is close to your 025 even though many will disagree they are still close in cc and that is obviously what you don't want. Alot of guys on here bash the 390 but it is a good dependable saw that will pull a 25'' bar just fine. If you want a pro saw then look at the 361, 362 or husky 357, 359.

:agree2:

Husky 359 is a very good solid saw and sounds like it would do what you want. Probably the best buy of the above mentioned saws. I have one and have been very pleased with it.

Scott

Thanks for the advice guys. There are a couple of models that are suggested that I didn't see as I was browsing. I'm going to drool, I mean look at a few this morning.

Tom

firewood

If you are just goin to be cutting firewood mainly, save yourself the money and hassle of husky dealers and go with the stihl 390. Good deal and a great saw.

If you are just goin to be cutting firewood mainly, save yourself the money and hassle of husky dealers and go with the stihl 390. Good deal and a great saw.

Honestly, I could see getting a 390 if I came across one used for a great price. That's about it. If you're about to plunk down $500 for a mediocre saw, why not shop around, and spend $580 for one that will last longer, perform better, be more comfortable, etc, etc? Furthermore, if you ever decide to get rid of it, the 361 fetches ridiculous sums on ebay.

Maybe they're always a PITA around you but around me most of the time its the stihl dealers that are pita. It is much easier for me to find husky dealers deviating from MSRP than it is to find stihl dealers.

Thanks for the info. It helped me choose a new saw. Yea, right. You really just confused me even more. ;-)

I went with a Husqvarna 346 XP with a 20" bar. It doesn't have some of the other features, but I can live without those knowing that I got a saw that should serve well for years to come.

The dealer spent a good 30 minutes showing me available models and answering questions. He actually took apart several saws to show me the differences and similarities. He then carried the saw outside and demonstrated it. I don’t think I could have expected more from the dealer (well deserved plug for Georgetown Small Engines). Ultimately, I got the saw with the 20” bar for 10.00 more than one of the large internet vendors wanted for one with an 18” bar. I’m pleased with the selection, and a bit excited to try it this weekend.

Really, thanks for your contributions.

Tom

Just curious, is it a New Edition 346XP with the silver clutch cover and 50cc? (The old edition has 45cc and an orange clutch cover.)

The bottom line is that there is no reason not to own a great saw like the NE346XP. Enjoy your saw. :cheers:

If you need more power/torque, you can always add a complimentary saw. Down the road, you can give your dealer a guilt trip for selling you a smaller saw than you needed so you can get a discount on a 372XP/576XP. Darn CAD! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back