New Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't count the 025/250 out. Here is mine wearing a 18" bar running .325 woodland Pro 23RC chain. It has a slight muffler mod.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/83kpVM7Iefw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/83kpVM7Iefw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wouldn't count the 025/250 out. Here is mine wearing a 18" bar running .325 woodland Pro 23RC chain. It has a slight muffler mod.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/83kpVM7Iefw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/83kpVM7Iefw&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nice video (looks like white pine). My brother has an 025 and it's a decent saw, but I wouldn't want to cut that sized hardwood with it all day.

Thanks for the info. It helped me choose a new saw. Yea, right. You really just confused me even more. ;-)

I went with a Husqvarna 346 XP with a 20" bar. It doesn't have some of the other features, but I can live without those knowing that I got a saw that should serve well for years to come.

The dealer spent a good 30 minutes showing me available models and answering questions. He actually took apart several saws to show me the differences and similarities. He then carried the saw outside and demonstrated it. I don’t think I could have expected more from the dealer (well deserved plug for Georgetown Small Engines). Ultimately, I got the saw with the 20” bar for 10.00 more than one of the large internet vendors wanted for one with an 18” bar. I’m pleased with the selection, and a bit excited to try it this weekend.

Really, thanks for your contributions.

Tom
Congrats on buying a great, great chainsaw. You'll love that thing. Do yourself a favor and throw a Stihl RSC chain on it. Good chains. Let us know what you think. Sounds like you have a good dealer as well.

Just curious, is it a New Edition 346XP with the silver clutch cover and 50cc?

Yes, it has the silver cover. It was new off the shelf.

Treepointer, The 025 isn't retired yet. It has a new 18" bar, sprocket and pair chains. And it's running like a scalded dog. I expect it to still pull it's share.

Tom

Honestly, I could see getting a 390 if I came across one used for a great price. That's about it. If you're about to plunk down $500 for a mediocre saw, why not shop around, and spend $580 for one that will last longer, perform better, be more comfortable, etc, etc? Furthermore, if you ever decide to get rid of it, the 361 fetches ridiculous sums on ebay.

Maybe they're always a PITA around you but around me most of the time its the stihl dealers that are pita. It is much easier for me to find husky dealers deviating from MSRP than it is to find stihl dealers.

yep and all the sthil pro saws do its eazy to buy one when you know you can get that money back if need be awesome!:agree2:

Thanks for the advice guys. There are a couple of models that are suggested that I didn't see as I was browsing. I'm going to drool, I mean look at a few this morning.

Tom

If you want a small cheap durable saw that is built well take a look at the Ryobi threads. It is probably worth 3x its low price.

:greenchainsaw: a 361 will make its own fuel, drive the truck, cut the wood,
bring it home , stack it , all while you are sleeping.

JK a 361 is a very nice saw for what you are doing.

Well, I just got back from cutting and there's already trouble in paradise.

The saw ran great for an hour. I got it pinched in a small branch and threw the chain. Then I couldn't get the chain back on - sorta. I got the chain put back on as it apparently is supposed to be. But the chain won't roll. If I take the chain off, the wheel (brake wheel?) turns easily. When I put the chain on without the side cover, it roll's with difficulty for a few inches and then binds up. Thinking that I may have damaged the chain, I put a new one. I played with the chain brake and thought maybe there's a feature that requires the side cover to be in place. No luck, it's 10-7 and sent to the truck.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed. I picked a pro line saw and paid more to have the assurance that it would run well. I surely wouldn't expect it to go out of commission so quickly or while doing typical work with it. I'm going to carry it back to the dealer to see what he can come up with. I'll post back with what I find out.

Fortunately, I had my 025. It cut like a champ and kept me from having a poor day in the woods.

The saw ran great for an hour. I got it pinched in a small branch and threw the chain. Then I couldn't get the chain back on - sorta. I got the chain put back on as it apparently is supposed to be. But the chain won't roll. If I take the chain off, the wheel (brake wheel?) turns easily. When I put the chain on without the side cover, it roll's with difficulty for a few inches and then binds up. Thinking that I may have damaged the chain, I put a new one. I played with the chain brake and thought maybe there's a feature that requires the side cover to be in place. No luck, it's 10-7 and sent to the truck.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed. I picked a pro line saw and paid more to have the assurance that it would run well. I surely wouldn't expect it to go out of commission so quickly or while doing typical work with it. I'm going to carry it back to the dealer to see what he can come up with. I'll post back with what I find out.

Fortunately, I had my 025. It cut like a champ and kept me from having a poor day in the woods.

That has nothing to do with the saw model or brand - operator error only! :censored:

Last edited:
TomGraz,
Don't be offended but from some of your nomenclature in your last post it sounds like your are relatively inexperienced. That "wheel" is your clutch. Maybe you pinched the tip of your bar? if so the roller tip sproket may be bound up. Take it back to the dealer and have him check it out. It won't be a warranty issue, but, he should be able to help you get things going again. Also have him explain the chain, clutch, clutch cover and chain brake system to you so you don't have future problems. Again, I'm not trying to offend you but it sounds like a simple issue.

Scott

Tom,

Try to blow out all the chips and gunk around the clutch cover, the clutch, and take a screwdriver or scrench and remove any debris from the bar grove. This is the only complaint I have with the 346XP. It loads up with gunk and needs cleared FAR more often than any saw I've used. And yes Niko, that includes the venerable Stihl 029.

Cut safely,

ole joat

Last edited:
Out if the frying pan and into the fire. More than likely, when the 346 threw the chain the drive links (things on the bottom of the chain that go into the bar grove) got all chewed up. Use a flat file to remove the damage on the sides of the drive links so that the chain will once again fit into the bar grove. If a new chain is giving you grief, the bar grove is likely plugged up with chips, resin, snot and what not. Take a “tool” (small screwdriver, end of a stihl raker measuring tool, butter knife, anything that will fit in the bar grove) and dig out all the debris inside the bar grove. Make sure the bar sprocket on the end of the chain bar is moving freely. When you reinstall the chain, make sure the chain drive links of the chain get into the rim sprocket behind the clutch and drum. With the 346, it can be a bit of a challenge to get the chain on correctly. Post back if you have any more problems or questions.

I have a husqvarna 346xp ne. I have other saws. I always find myself using the 346 the most. The 346 is usually my number one go to firewoosd saw. I cut red oak ,hard maple and ash the most. I have cut numerous chords of wood with it. The 346xp ne so far has been very reliable and trusty. I love this saw its light, and cuts extremely well. i Iam very satisfied with it

As it turns out, I wasn't putting the chain back on properly. I was missing the slots in the drive sprocket (acknowledged that it is not the proper name). The dealer was helpful to show me the oversight that I made. My assessment of the saw was incorrect. I’ll reevaluate after I’ve had a chance to use it more. Thanks for the useful comments. Several of you gave me suggestions that I actually tried and they helped me work to a resolution. Maybe I’ll become wise enough to post twenty four thousand times…. but then I wouldn’t have much time to get into the woods.

As it turns out, I wasn't putting the chain back on properly. I was missing the slots in the drive sprocket (acknowledged that it is not the proper name). The dealer was helpful to show me the oversight that I made. My assessment of the saw was incorrect. I’ll reevaluate after I’ve had a chance to use it more. Thanks for the useful comments. Several of you gave me suggestions that I actually tried and they helped me work to a resolution. Maybe I’ll become wise enough to post twenty four thousand times…. but then I wouldn’t have much time to get into the woods.

Glad you figured out problem.

346xp is a fine saw.:chainsaw:

Tom,

Glad you figured the problem and are ready to cut. Also, takes a big man to admit a mistake. Good for ya. :cheers:

Safe cutting,

ole joat

I was rereading some old posts and thought I would post a follow up. After several months, the Husky is running great. I think we put up more wood than we ever had before. Most of it was cut with my saw. There is a definite satisfaction when using a quality piece of equipment that runs like you hope and expect. The power, size and weight are a good choice for the amount of cutting I do. I know there are many fine saws. I have to say that I’m really pleased with this one.

I'm replying to an old thread with an update.

The saw (Husqavarna 346 XP) died. It seized after cutting a 16" chinaberry tree. It was probably 2 minutes of sustained cutting. I was about 20 minutes into the morning when it died.

I carried the saw to the shop, more to find out what happened than with any idea of repair. He said it didn't have any oil in the gas. That wasn't the case. I use a measuring cup to get the prescribed amount of oil. I also have a 1 gallon can that is only for the chainsaw. Then he said it was the wrong kind of oil. That I don't know. I used Homelite Premium Exact Mix two cycle oil. The gas was fresh, less than a month. It was ethanol free. And I use Stabil.

I use the saw for about 15 to 20 hours each year. This year I may have had 5 hours on it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't overused.

I was really happy with the saw. It weighed about 13 lbs. with the bar and chain, and cut like a beaver on speed. Every other guy that showed up for wood day was envious.

My question is whether I did something wrong or was it bad luck. I don't know about bad luck. Bad design. Bad manufacturing. Bad quality control. Those I understand. And that would really disappoint me considering the $150 extra I spent for a better grade saw. It irks me even more when I think about my 20 year old Stihl that is stihl running strong.

If I did something wrong, I'll get another like it since I now have a spare bar and several extra chains. If I didn't, I may try something else.

If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back