New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went down to a dolmar dealer yesterday & they didn't have the 5100 in stock, but their supplier has them in stock. Dolmar has a sale going for $434 for the 5100. Is that a fair price? I'm going to check out 2 more dealers thats close to me on monday.

I see your in CA so not sure about the prices there but it seems a little high compared to here in MN

Husky NE346XP!

Al:clap:

Sure, mine actually outcuts my 5100S, at least in 8" wood.....:cheers:

I made a little test yesterday, and both cut fastest with .325x7. 3/8"x7 and .325x8 was a tossup on the Dolmar - but the Husky was a tad faster with both .325x7 and .325x8..:)

Everything was very close though - I need to try in some larger wood......:)

Just picked up Efco 152 - Amazing deal

I have been looking at a new medium use, quality saw for several weeks. My old Poulan Pro 255 just doesn't have the grunt to get thru some walnut/maple, etc for turning blanks. That being said, I'm in middle of giving it a good tuneup, as I've had it since new in 1993, and overall have been happy with it. Couldn't figure out why chain always running when idling...found clutch cocked in drum. No major work has ever been done on it...geez, I'm just now getting around to putting a new sprocket on it!! I didn't know they were supposed to be changed out as often as every couple chains...mine looked like junk. May explain why my chains didn't last long. Also going to see if a brake that came out for them can be retrofitted...the factory people say no...but I'm curious, and it is worth $24 for a brake kit to see if it can be retrofitted and work correctly.

Anyway, was looking at Husky 346, Stihl 260s...etc and was in Northern Tool the other day looking for a tarp...not a saw.

What did my wife notice,...about half a dozen saws on a table they were getting rid of from display models, as none had boxes, manuals, etc. Some Husky 455's, 460s, and 2 EFCO 152's. The Huskys were about 30-40 bucks off retail, and the EFCO 152s were priced at $149!!!

I had never heard about the EFCO line, so I went home, googled it, and decided it seemed like a good deal, went back and bought one. In hindsight, I should have bought both of them for that price and kept one in reserve or sold it for a profit.

I'll report my opinion on it as soon as I can, doesn't seem to be alot of user experience posted out there.

I will say, that by the stats, it should hold up well, and it looks/feels solid.

I have been looking at a new medium use, quality saw for several weeks. My old Poulan Pro 255 just doesn't have the grunt to get thru some walnut/maple, etc for turning blanks. That being said, I'm in middle of giving it a good tuneup, as I've had it since new in 1993, and overall have been happy with it. Couldn't figure out why chain always running when idling...found clutch cocked in drum. No major work has ever been done on it...geez, I'm just now getting around to putting a new sprocket on it!! I didn't know they were supposed to be changed out as often as every couple chains...mine looked like junk. May explain why my chains didn't last long. Also going to see if a brake that came out for them can be retrofitted...the factory people say no...but I'm curious, and it is worth $24 for a brake kit to see if it can be retrofitted and work correctly.

Anyway, was looking at Husky 346, Stihl 260s...etc and was in Northern Tool the other day looking for a tarp...not a saw.

What did my wife notice,...about half a dozen saws on a table they were getting rid of from display models, as none had boxes, manuals, etc. Some Husky 455's, 460s, and 2 EFCO 152's. The Huskys were about 30-40 bucks off retail, and the EFCO 152s were priced at $149!!!

I had never heard about the EFCO line, so I went home, googled it, and decided it seemed like a good deal, went back and bought one. In hindsight, I should have bought both of them for that price and kept one in reserve or sold it for a profit.

I'll report my opinion on it as soon as I can, doesn't seem to be alot of user experience posted out there.

I will say, that by the stats, it should hold up well, and it looks/feels solid.

Great saws, I have the green version(John Deere before they stopped selling them). Ask anyone who has one and you will find like mine they are good dependable saws(mine fires first pull everytime if I can shut the choke off quick enough). If I miss it, it will definately fire the second pull.

QUOTE=Steven B;1567915]I went down to a dolmar dealer yesterday & they didn't have the 5100 in stock, but their supplier has them in stock. Dolmar has a sale going for $434 for the 5100. Is that a fair price? I'm going to check out 2 more dealers thats close to me on monday.
[/QUOTE]

That's how much they are by me at a national chain hardware store.
I'm waiting to pull the trigger one also.:cheers:

Last edited:
Back