New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbay

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new saw. I would like to purchase a pro saw, either Husqvarna or Stihl. I'm looking for a medium size saw. I had one recommendation for a Husky 543XP or a 550XP. Any other suggestions?

Stihl. Ms261, Ms 362, ms461. Not sure on the husky. I hear the 550 is awesome! 562 cuts fast, my 362c has the same CC's but has more torque. Both seem to start a little hard after they are warmed up. Esp the husky. Don't use the choke on The 362 if the outside temp is above 75, it seems like it floods out.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I'll be cutting firewood. Approx 4 to 5 cords per year. I know I don't need a pro saw for that amount, but I'd rather spend a little more than a little less than I should.

Husqvarna pretty much has the 50cc and 60cc pro class right now. But buy what feels good and what draws you to it, any 50-60cc saw mentioned should satisfy your needs.

I'll be cutting firewood. Approx 4 to 5 cords per year. I know I don't need a pro saw for that amount, but I'd rather spend a little more than a little less than I should.

Everyone needs a pro saw lol

I personally like the older stihl saws and for what u are cutting a 026 in good shape would be cheaper and work great or an 036. But if money is not a concern then the new huskys seem like a better bang for the buck.

If you've already got a saw, then I'd be looking for one that complements what you already have. If not, then a 60cc saw will do most everything in a pinch and won't wear you out cutting up small stuff. New, that pretty much means a Husqvarna 562 or a Stihl 362.

If you've already got a saw, then I'd be looking for one that complements what you already have. If not, then a 60cc saw will do most everything in a pinch and won't wear you out cutting up small stuff. New, that pretty much means a Husqvarna 562 or a Stihl 362.
Dolmar 6100 by far my favorite 60cc saw.

I used to cut any size wood with a 041s or 044 or 046 but then hurt my back and eventually got the 550xp and it is a great saw and much better than Stihl 026/260, so if you want a great handling light saw you can toss around and still cut 16" oak, that is my vote. If you don't care about autotune, lightness or handling, it opens up the options a lot, but i personally did not like the 562xp as much as the 550xp, if the 550xp won't do it, i just go to 70cc like
044, 046, 372, etc

For what you want the 555 is a solid choice. Its my go to saw most of the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Everyone needs a pro saw lol

I personally like the older stihl saws and for what u are cutting a 026 in good shape would be cheaper and work great or an 036. But if money is not a concern then the new huskys seem like a better bang for the buck.
Agree.
48fbb41bddebbb80821c45f2932a0c07.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ms261cm is an awesome saw especially in that size wood. Then when the ms462cm comes out you can get that as a 2 saw plan and will cover everything a firewood cutter would ever run in to. I love my 261cm

Another vote for the 261cm. Mine's a great little saw. For only limbing and thinning I'd be tempted to try a husky 550, but for cutting firewood, I'd pick the Stihl. My 261 does very well cutting white oak with a 16" 3/8 bar buried. In softwood with a .325 bar it'll scream! Plus, I think it's lighter than the 550...

A 60cc saw will get the job done also, it'll be a little bit gruntier, but in wood under 12" I doubt you'd notice much, and they are a bit heavier. I really like the 50cc 70cc plan. Although if you're generally in small softwood, a 40cc 60cc setup might be appropriate.

Back