New Solo 681 / Vids & Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You might say I finally succumbed to the Dolmar bug, except I did it with a twist. There are numberous improvements on the 681, plus, I just think it's a better looking saw, lol. I ordered it from Baileys, where it's been on backorder. It arrived this afternoon. I put fuel in it and it popped on the 2nd pull. No missing the pop on this thing. It fired right up and ran like a dream. I tweaked the L and LA a little but did not touch the H. I let it warm up and shut it off to cool. I later put a 28" bar and Stihl RSC chain on it, fired it back up, warmed it up, and hit WOT just long enough to get a quick reading, 12,800. A fair amount rich, just like I wanted it. I then loaded it up and headed down where I've been whittling away on those big dead Oak trees that I had the 3120 in. The saw only made one cut before the video starts. So you're seeing a brand new saw, straight out of the box, and running rich.

Some have commented on soft AV springs. I didn't feel that at all. Maybe they've stiffened them up. This is also the new model that has a decomp. Thank goodness it does. Compression is already 185 PSI after this very first outing!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-J_iWF6zGs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-J_iWF6zGs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

701142153_qjy7a-M.jpg

701140585_xaGRk-M.jpg

701140806_ZDRsH-M.jpg

701140986_Vn68Y-M.jpg

701141608_9y53B-M.jpg

701141765_XwPZB-M.jpg

701141249_RCzYM-M.jpg

701141449_L6HtV-M.jpg

will the dolmar humpback kit be adaptable?
you know, for after you port it and need more airflow.

I honestly don't know if it'll fit or not. I don't antisipate it being a real problem though. The filter I have on the saw in the pics will flow plenty of air. The felt filter should do a good job keeping anything out for real working conditions. I will not be buying the HD kit even if it fits. But I am interested in knowing if it will.

Brad- that looks good. I'm guessing the ergonomics are good? It puts out plenty of oil? Vibrations minimal?

The saw feels real good in the hands. I didn't notice vibes at all while I was cutting. But then again, I wasn't thinking about them either. I did not notice the soft feel many have commented on. I'm suspecting they've changed the springs. Funny you mention the oiler. I had it turned down for the quick tuning check I gave it and failed to turn it up before hitting the wood. The chain was rather dry but never got hot, lol. I think I'll really like this saw.

That saw is pretty hot out of the box! I was wondering about those. I keep seeing em in the Baileys catalogs and I thought the power to dispalcement numbers looked good. They also seem to be a lighter saw than others in the class. Another sweet saw I wish I could get my hands on Brad! Can't wait to see her ported!

Looks strong, I would think it would outcut a 7900 pretty easily by the video. It would be nice if you had a stock 7900 to do a side by side comparison.

Looks strong, I would think it would outcut a 7900 pretty easily by the video. It would be nice if you had a stock 7900 to do a side by side comparison.

They are a little stronger than a 7900, but not by much. Andyshine77 has a 7900 that's bone stock. It's a newer one that should have all the updates. We will be running them for a comparison before I do anything to this one.

That's good I've been wanting to see that. I started to buy the Solo when I got the Dolmar but the dealer about 35 miles away stopped carrying them and the Dolmar dealer had a 7900 so I bought it.

One of my buddies, a Logger who normally runs the 2171 Jonsered, Bought a pair of these and loves them. He says they have the "best power to ratio of any saw made" I dont know if thats true or not. The only problem he has had with his is the recoil pawl springs are too light, and it wont always work on the first try. He called SOLO and they sent him new springs he hasn't tried yet. He says their customer service is very good.
Sure is one sweet lookin' saw -I might just get me one.:)

Is that a primer bulb on there...................like on a girls saw?????LOL

Ya it is, but it will beat a 7900 no problemo. So who is the girl now? LOL

A guy from the other site has one and they also are did a build off with them. Romeo made one that was pretty cool. Something popped on it though after a while.:censored:

Otherwise, these seem to be the saws to get if you aren't worried about parts. You can order online though.

They are a little stronger than a 7900, but not by much. Andyshine77 has a 7900 that's bone stock. It's a newer one that should have all the updates. We will be running them for a comparison before I do anything to this one.

:clap:

I am glad you going to compare to a stock 7900 before modding it.

And hopefully you can run a couple tanks through it before modding too, to get a good comparison.

Latest posts

Back