New Solo 681 / Vids & Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go full skip!!!

This saw won't need skip. It will pull a 32" bar with non skip chain no worries. For a laugh I stuck a 42" bar with 3/8" semi chisel non skip on the 7900 that Brad modded for me and it pulled it buried in Redgum (although the oiler wouldn't keep up). No reason why Brad's 681 won't do the same, or better.

Have posted video below - not to hijack the thread (I don't think Brad will mind) but just to emphasise the point that the 7900/681 are underestimated by people that have never spent much time on one (or no time). Modded they will play with a 32" bar..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XswACPavEuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XswACPavEuk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This saw won't need skip. It will pull a 32" bar with non skip chain no worries. For a laugh I stuck a 42" bar with 3/8" semi chisel non skip on the 7900 that Brad modded for me and it pulled it buried in Redgum (although the oiler wouldn't keep up). No reason why Brad's 681 won't do the same, or better.

Have posted video below - not to hijack the thread (I don't think Brad will mind) but just to emphasise the point that the 7900/681 are underestimated by people that have never spent much time on one (or no time). Modded they will play with a 32" bar..

That may be the case but not real world for me. The ease of sharpening a 32" full skip vs. full comp makes this a no brainer. Add this to it, a lot of time when flushing a stump the saw being used has an easier time moving less chips!

That may be the case but not real world for me. The ease of sharpening a 32" full skip vs. full comp makes this a no brainer. Add this to it, a lot of time when flushing a stump the saw being used has an easier time moving less chips!

I use a lot of skip buried on 32" bars in the real world and love it. However I also have no problem using non skip as well. I've never noticed much difference performance/speed wise (slight edge to non skip) but do appreciate the less cutters when it comes time to sharpening!
In Brad's case though I doubt he'll be flush cutting many stumps with his 681.

I wonder what kind of difference the coil will make?

None, other than for tuning ease, you might pick up a little more time in a cant with a unlimited coil due to being able to stick it in the wood at a true WOT.

I run 32" full comp on my ported 7900 all the time, it did pretty well in this really hard beech.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjriW-powdg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jjriW-powdg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
So what is the bore difference between the stock 681 and the 7900BB?:chainsaw:

And why did you feel the need to go to the BB set up instead of just playing with the stock cylinder?

So what is the bore difference between the stock 681 and the 7900BB?:chainsaw:

And why did you feel the need to go to the BB set up instead of just playing with the stock cylinder?

The 7900 and 681 have the same bore at 52mm. The 681 has a 1mm longer stroke at 38mm. With the 54mm BB kit, the 7900 has 85cc and the 681 has 87cc.

The BB cylinder currently has a problem in the squish band/combustion chamber area that must be machined flat. If I get that fixed, I'll use it for porting experimentation. I doubt I will be doing that any time real soon.

I finally made the decision and ordered a 32" Stihl 3003 mount Oregon Reduced Weight bar for the 681. Once you try these bars, it's a lot easier to buy the 2nd one! I'm using the steel adapter from Baileys that's made to use Stihl bars in Huskys. I had to do a little grinding on it to fit on the Solo, but it fits great now. It's a snug fit and has to be tapped on. So that makes it an integral part of the saw that won't fall off when I remove the bar. I'll be running an 8-pin rim and full-comp RSC chain.

Here ya go:)

ORLW_28_SS50_L.jpg

Brad,

What is the actual weight savings with these bars?
I really like the concept but have to wonder about the weight/price value.

Mike

Back