New SpeedPro Kinetic Log Splitter from TSC...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, when I started this thread, I was just asking about the new SpeedPro, which I had just seen for the first time. Who knew it would take on this kind of life! :wink2:

I really don't care if anyone does a comparison with any other splitter or talks about mods they have done. This is how we all learn which one is right or wrong for each of us. :msp_wink:

I ended up with a 22 ton Huskee(Speeco), which was the right one for me.

Have FUN out there, and play nice! :cheers:

Last edited:
I ended up with a 22 ton Huskee(Speeco), which was the right one for me.

What do you think of your 22ton Huskee hydro (not to jack your thread) is there anything you have had trouble splitting? I was dead set on a SS, but there are too many things I don't like IMO. With a hydro I like the verticle split motion, the control one has being able to stop the ram, not having to pick up all the wood. Also I would like to skin all the bark off (because bark holds moisture) and with a kinetic splitter I wouldn't attemp it because of the speed I don't think I could get away from it.

I have just completed splitting over 3 full cords of a huge ash tree. Rounds as big as 2 1/2 to 3 feet. Some large crotches, and a lot of twisty, stringy wood. Only thing it would not go through was a 1/2" bolt hidden in one of the pieces!

I tend to get larger wood than some people do, and after considering the Speedpro, I decided that I wanted a splitter that could go vertical for those big rounds. Noodling does get old after a short while! For all of that, the 22 ton hydro was the one for me. I did, however, make up a quick jig for the big rounds, as the foot plate of the splitter is quite a bit smaller than the rounds I was splitting. I made up a plate of 2" lumber so the round would sit level when on the foot, instead of leaning.

I like the speed of the SpeedPro, but the 13 second cycle time of the 22 ton was plenty fast for me. The two-handed operation of the SpeedPro was also a drawback to me, but it seems to have been solved by some of the people here.

I didn't bother with stripping the bark. It burns good, and I don't seem to have the problem of moisture.

Last edited:
Just to get way off topic here: what is the repping thing about, apart from acknowledging a posters words? Or is that it's sole purpose? Also, what's the 'currency' thing got to do with the price of fish? If it's currency, what can you buy with it?

Last edited:
Also, what's the 'currency' thing got to do with the price of fish? If it's currency, what can you buy with it?

It's quite simple really, once you build up 10,000 credits, you get a free kinetic splitter. Of course, you have to get what your AS brethren agree is the best kinetic splitter and since two of us hardly ever agree on anything, the decision process is known to be lengthy.

Purchased new SpeedPro splitter!

Just picked up a new splitter (in the crate) from TSC yesterday. I will be glad to post the outcome of the assembly and use of this new splitter as things progress. I've enjoyed reading all 200+ posts on this forum about the SpeedPro...at least most of them were about the SpeedPro! :dizzy: Reading through these posts, as well as other research, is what helped me make up my mind and give this splitter a try. I'll post again when I get it going...hopefully sooner than later!

Just picked up a new splitter (in the crate) from TSC yesterday. I will be glad to post the outcome of the assembly and use of this new splitter as things progress. I've enjoyed reading all 200+ posts on this forum about the SpeedPro...at least most of them were about the SpeedPro! :dizzy: Reading through these posts, as well as other research, is what helped me make up my mind and give this splitter a try. I'll post again when I get it going...hopefully sooner than later!

Have fun with your new toy!:rock:

extended warranty

Philwillmt, I usually don't buy extended warranties. I am not sure if I will buy a extended warranty for the Speedpro when I buy. Did you get the extended? I wonder how many people do go for the extended on the Speedpro.

Hey Moe, nice to see you on the forums.

I for one, did not get the extended warranty. there are very few parts on these machines. Most of which are steel, which I can weld right here at the shop. whats the worst that happens? break a belt? are you really going to wait 2 weeks for a warranty belt to come in the mail? no, i'll spend the $16 at the local shop and get one installed in an hour of it breaking and get back to work.

some people (not on this forum here though) have broken teeth off the rack. you can find those pinion racks at machine shops, or have one ordered. they only have one or two stop's welded onto them and then the rest of it bolts into the machine. personally for $300 i didn't think the risks were great enough.

I definately haven't seen any signs of exsessive heat whatsoever (even at 80+). I'd guess that's because the motor rarely pulls from any kind of load. I remember from a previous reply to this thread that someone actually used a tachometer. I believe they said 2700 rpm was there premium operating rpm. I'd guess that is approx 2/3 throttle. I do recall that they also agree that full throttle is not needed.

I am probably a little too late to the party for the discussion on throttle settings......but I do want to comment. I have owned and worked on small engines for more than 40 years.....and I am a certified gear head. I have owned and operated lots of equipment.....and never burned up or worn out any engines. I run some engines at full throttle.....and some at part throttle. You need to understand that you want to avoid lugging any engine and avoid operating the engine at a speed setting that will keep the governer and carb "wide open" for an extended period of time. For lawn mowers, pumps, generators, garden tractors used for mowing, tillers, leaf blowers, and any equipment with constant loads you will probably be setting the speed setting at "full speed"....and the governer will regulate the throttle setting to provide the power necessary to maintain that speed.....and you will seldom encounter a situation where the engine will require making full horsepower for any extended period of time. For engines that are on log splitters, conveyors, garden tractors pulling trailers while doing yard work, go carts, mini bikes, etc......I think it is fine to regulate the speed to match the job being done. The key is to avoid lugging the engine where the engine speed is low and the governer is opening the carb butterfly wide to try and make enough power to hold the low speed.

I operate my hydraulic splitter at about half throttle most of the time and it just pushes right through the smaller logs. When I put something big on I will increase the speed.......I just pay attention to the sound of the engine and avoid "lugging" the engine and making it work really hard at lower rpm's. My mowers get run at full speed all the time.

I just read through this whole thread and haven't seen anyone splitting big rounds with this. Is this machine capable of splitting my 30+ inch butts? my biz is primarily large removals and I have plenty of 60 in butts sitting in my woodlots. I'm very interested in the design and can't believe this is the first time I've heard of a kinetic splitter! I must've been living under a rock!

By no means am I trying to bash kinetics, I have a log mauler and v/h and 4way machines and I'm almost definately going to buy a kinetic even if it cant do my big rounds.... But has anyone tried?

i ran a 26" hickory through mine last week. I posted a picture a few reply's ago. this was a cut below the crotch of a double stem, it took two shots but went through. straight grain pieces were no problem.

I do quarter my big rounds on the hydro and then put them on the speedpro, much faster that way.

extended warranty

Philwillmt, I usually don't buy extended warranties. I am not sure if I will buy a extended warranty for the Speedpro when I buy. Did you get the extended? I wonder how many people do go for the extended on the Speedpro.

I did purchase the 3 year extended warranty at $200. But, after getting the machine home and looking under the hood a little closer, and operating more, I would have to agree with BSD. There's not that many parts to go bad and odds are I will fix it myself anyway. When I purchased the machine there hadn't been too much feedback yet. So I was more worried about manufacturers design flaws...the things that they fix in the "next model year" but won't fix out of warranty. Hind sight 20/20, I wish I could get my 200 back.

, I wish I could get my 200 back.

Take your receipt to the store and return the warranty. As long as it's the 30 day returns window it shouldn't be an issue.

It's something you bought that you decided you didn't need or didn't fit your needs.

If they give you any flack, shrug and say you'll go home, get the splitter, return the entire purchase. Moment they refund the card, go "You know what, I want it after all. But I'm not going to take the extended warranty this time. Ring it up."

Laws really vary by states, but in a few these plans are formally considered pre-paid insurance policies in which case you should be able to cancel the policy and receive a refund for the pro-rated portion at any time.

Last edited:
Thanks Dalmatian

Take your receipt to the store and return the warranty. As long as it's the 30 day returns window it shouldn't be an issue.

It's something you bought that you decided you didn't need or didn't fit your needs.

If they give you any flack, shrug and say you'll go home, get the splitter, return the entire purchase. Moment they refund the card, go "You know what, I want it after all. But I'm not going to take the extended warranty this time. Ring it up."

Laws really vary by states, but in a few these plans are formally considered pre-paid insurance policies in which case you should be able to cancel the policy and receive a refund for the pro-rated portion at any time.

I will try that. Crap...Now I'm over thinking it. Afraid I will jinx myself if I return the extended warranty.......... dangit.......what to do?? That's the thing about insurance...it's a gamble. If it keeps up this rain, I will sure be able to put that 200 bucks to better use!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back