New sthil cuts crooked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremetrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I guess standard my new 44 came with a 28 inch bar. Ill go to a 20 and see if that helps. If not ill go to a 18 inch bar.Will shortening the bar to prevent crooked cutting increase the revs? Will this shorten its life span?
I'll have to go with a much shorter than 28 inch bar to have a reliable, not so finiquey tree killin machine in shtil i mean

Any suggestions
Thanks in advance

Any suggestions?

Yes ; You still seem to think that long bars make a Stihl saw cut crooked! If you dont use and maintain your whole cutting system properly, no matter how short a bar you run it wont be reliable. I dont feel that a saw that cuts crooked is being "finiky"

Frank

Bar size has nothing to do with it.

Check your bar:

Worn bar rails (chain rides sloppy in groove)
Burr on edge of rail
Bar bent (look down the length of both rails)

Check your chain:

Are the rakers at the same height?
Are all the cutters at the same PROPER angle (and sharp)?
Are the cutters all the same length (or pretty close)?
Does the chain gauge match the bar?

MasterBlaster; Do I have to get Rocky to give you a tuneup? What has level got to do with STRAIGHT?

Lol

Frank

Guess he thought people were smarter here, man. I know this ain't much of a solution, but I have always been happier with Oregon or Windsor bars than Stihls. :)

crooked cutter

Get a woodsman bar from Baileys there alot harder and never go to hell ive been using one on my saw for 2 years now 6 days a week.

Originally posted by JonnyHart
I have always been happier with Oregon or Windsor bars than Stihls. :)

I've always been happier with ANYTHING that didn't say Stihl on it.

;)

ive had problems with big huskys cutting on the wonk ....i thought i was bending bars but i wasnt ..

I just got done with a problem I was having with my saws. The problem was that I had purchased a few new chains a while back for my two new saws. What I didn't realize is that the place I bought the new chains from just put together some Oregon chain and slapped it onto my 044 and 066. I kept using STIHL files though which aren't exactly the right size I should be using. File problem has been fixed though, and now they are doing fine.

Anybody that thinks longer bars means a crooked cut is absolutly and utterly wrong. I use long bars on stihl saws and they cut perfectly staright. The problem is that the larger the diameter of the wood you get into the more noticible any crooked cutting is.

For example a certain 20 inch bar and chain may cut up wood 8 inches and less just fine, but cut in a curve on a 2 foot diamenter tree. If you were to look closely at your 8 inch blocks you'd notice that they were cut in a curve too but the diameter wasn't great enough so that it presented any noticable problems with cutting.

When you get into the size of tree that requires a 28" bar even the slightest imperfection in your bar or chain can make it impossible to make a straight cut (a problem you wouldn't notice on a small tree).

netree's advice was right on the money:

Check your bar:

Worn bar rails (chain rides sloppy in groove)
Burr on edge of rail
Bar bent (look down the length of both rails)

Check your chain:

Are the rakers at the same height?
Are all the cutters at the same PROPER angle (and sharp)?
Are the cutters all the same length (or pretty close)?
Does the chain gauge match the bar?

/\/\
And I'm talking about a very slight imperfection in those area's. It takes a true expert to sharpen chains of that legth that perfectly over the long term, because every time you hand sharpen there may be tiny diffeances in how you sharpened each tooth. It may be time to buy a new chain, or to have the chain(s) proffesionally sharpned or to measure each tooth with a guage and make sure that they are equal in length down to 0.010 of an ich or better.

I'm betting it's the chain and not the bar. You'd have had to have used that bar a hell of a lot to get burrs on it and I doubt you've used that length of bar for that much cutting as to cause burrs.

And I don't think switching brands is going to help you either. All the reptutable bar and chain brands (Stihl, Husquvarna, GB, Laser, Oragon, Widser, Carlton, cannon, etc) should cut straigh when they are new.

If this were not the case then how do you think anyone logs 5 foot trees with a stihl?

Back