New Stihl 038 from China

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Russell

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
China has enter the chainsaw market Stihl 038 ebAY #7744096089 $200 US dollars ---Canada only:greenchainsaw:

It's there...just put the auction NUMBER in the ebay search feature. It comes up.

They aren't really trying to sell through ebay - just a cheap way to advertise to someone that may buy a container full - there are a bunch of different Stihls made in China right now, and a copy of a TS400, and...

ray benson said:
Seller has been an ebay member for almost a year - but no buying/ selling feedback. Buyer beware.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7744096089

The ad is a little confusing. The saw pictured clearly says "Stihl" on it and to me it looks like a Stihl, but it is FOB China so what gives?

Is this a bonafide modern Stihl "Made in China" or a rip-off of the name only and/or possibly an older design?

A few months back we had a good thread about Chinese made chainsaws and the question of parts came up. Notice this eBay ad says: "Also you can got all parts from us with best price."

I'd actually like to try a Chinese "Stihl." Put it over the hurdles -- so to speak.

"FOB" means "Free on Board", a technical shipping term for the place a product is when you buy it. When bought, shipping costs, insurance, etc from the said location (China) are the buyer's responsibility. This is pretty standard for ebay, but is rarely stated as FOB...

Of more concern is the fact that the seller says that they have a new product, and that they have heaps of them, yet can only find a lousy photo of a used saw....

Over seas trading company Alibaba.com

Http:www.Alibaba/trade/search/3i1ptyfchms/chain saw/htm This is how I get to China stihl saw when cut and paste goes to AOL search has china saws

I do not know how to attach or transfer ULT this site May have used wrong word or letters

Trade company name is correct:chainsaw:

I avoid the support of the Red Communist country--and serious military threat--at every opportunity. Sometimes it means paying more, sometimes it means doing without. Of course that makes me part of a tiny little minority of folks, but everybody has to be a minority sometime.:givebeer:

WadePatton said:
I avoid the support of the Red Communist country--and serious military threat--at every opportunity. Sometimes it means paying more, sometimes it means doing without. Of course that makes me part of a tiny little minority of folks, but everybody has to be a minority sometime.:givebeer:

Amen Brother. I hope im 6 feet under when China takes us over. Hopefully my kids will be as well.

Hate to put it that way.....Most people cant see the writing on the wall

I was told the other day that 8 percent of Chinas GNP is Wal Mart

Makes me sick just to talk about it.

I would never buy one and support the ripoff adn weakening of such an excellent brand. I don't want to get political but I am becoming increasingly anti China. It has nothing to do with the people, I like them, but their government and our increasing dependence on their cheap goods is a problem. I see it as fuel for ChiCom military expansionism,
J.D.

You're all not going to be able to buy it anyhow... want to guess how many patents and trademark infringements are contained in this saw, and the lack of EPA approval etc etc... ? Customs will nail them at the border..

The picture isn't even of a new saw..

satire

I'm sure the Red Chinese are every bit as concerned about clean air as the epa. I mean, they are good global citizens. How dare you run them down like that Andy...and how come we can't have their cheap junk?

Lakeside53 said:
You're all not going to be able to buy it anyhow... want to guess how many patents and trademark infringements are contained in this saw, and the lack of EPA approval etc etc... ? Customs will nail them at the border..

I wouldn't be so sure of that, Andy. The Chinese are selling bunches of "Honda" engines here in the U.S. Maybe these are a different story being two strokes, but if they think they can make a buck, I'll bet they will make them EPA compliant.

http://www.eliminternational.com/02...ts/Elim_Products_files/slide0065_image031.jpg

McCartman said:
I wouldn't be so sure of that, Andy. The Chinese are selling bunches of "Honda" engines here in the U.S. Maybe these are a different story being two strokes, but if they think they can make a buck, I'll bet they will make them EPA compliant.

http://www.eliminternational.com/02...ts/Elim_Products_files/slide0065_image031.jpg

You still can't copy an 038 without stihl being all over your case! Heck, try copying a Pinto and see if Ford send you a "thank you" ...

This is becoming a large issue. The Chinese do not recognize international patent agreements and are pumping out cheap copies. It is driving Kubota and Caterpillar crazy but what can they do? Some are slipping under the radar and entering NA, maybe because of the low numbers. Most do not meet emission standards yet but I suspect that will change as they get better. 40 years ago, a lot of Japanese products were junk and look at them now.
FWIW, there are or soon will be Mercedes built in China. Briggs and Stratton is also building a Chinese plant to supply Asia. They insist these products won't land here but that remains to be seen.

practicality

You are right about the copyright Andy, but...I think that is the big worry with China...they could give a rat's behind about intellectual property. I don't doubt that Stihl would do something about it, but, whoa re they going to go after, and in what venue?

Diesel JD said:
You are right about the copyright Andy, but...I think that is the big worry with China...they could give a rat's behind about intellectual property. I don't doubt that Stihl would do something about it, but, whoa re they going to go after, and in what venue?

For the USA importation, all Stihl does is tell Customs - USA law then takes over... and they will do something if they try to come here... The Importer gets nailed...

So.. do you think this is a copyright infringement?

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back