New Stihl 241 or 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a MS231 , I got that saw used , dropped several cord and blocked a couple of cord with it , I had a friend that needed a good saw , I was happy with that saw , light enough , dependable and enough power for what I cut with it , he's had it for 3 years now and he's pleased as punch with it because it's cut everything he needed to cut and it's kept his house warm .
Does a clamshell have all the refinements and longevity of a pro series saw , no , but it will get the job done , Yes , no question what so ever .
Smaller saws do require a sharp chain and more finesse .
I've not run the 261 Ver.2 but I have run the first one , nice saw but I like my 241 .

Not saying that at all. Just that I have made many purchasing decisions in my life, and never felt the need to ask a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum to steer me one way or another. My main point being, unless the OP has not logged in, that he has not even been back to take advantage of all of this learned advice.
Dude. Explaining that you have narrowed it down to two saws, and asking people who have used them which might be better for the cutting you do? That's what forums are for!

Criticizing it, and in particular calling it feminine, was an idiotic post.

My father has a 10 acre lot and has cut firewood and cleared forest for 25 years, with an 025, then 250, and now 251...he gave me the 025, then 250 when he upgraded (mostly for newer features and better emissions) and they still work fine since he took care of them...he is quite an exceptional human being but now i am even more impressed he has survived with a saw that is the worst of both worlds!
I wasn't crapping on the 251 as a saw. But the OP narrowed it down to 2 saws and his concern is power and weight. I don't see the 251 beating the ones he's considering.

Dude. Explaining that you have narrowed it down to two saws, and asking people who have used them which might be better for the cutting you do? That's what forums are for!

Point taken.

I wasn't crapping on the 251 as a saw. But the OP narrowed it down to 2 saws and his concern is power and weight. I don't see the 251 beating the ones he's considering.

I have a 251cbe . My 241 is hands down, a better saw. Easier to handle, better response, and it starts on the 2nd pull every time.

Wife let you wear the big boy pants this evening? Say you get a dozen responses saying 241, and a dozen saying 261. How does that help anyone?

Wife let you wear the big boy pants this evening?
Let me wear the big boy pants? I do my best to avoid the big boy pants whenever possible.

But seriously, sorry for my dcikish reply earlier. I just don't see attacking someone for asking for feedback on products before they buy.
Say you get a dozen responses saying 241, and a dozen saying 261. How does that help anyone?
You conclude that both are reasonable choices and pick the one you are leaning toward. And then you think how awesome it is that you were able to leverage the collective experiences of the folks on this forum to help you make an informed decision. *dunno*

That's it lol.
What bar do you run on the 241.
What's the shortest bar you run on the 70cc saws.
I have a couple of 201's, run them on small stuff since I trailer brush out, I don't have a chipper (I know the irony lol).
16 in on the 241, the shortest bar I run on the 70 cc saws would be 20 inch, longer chains take more time to sharpen. That is the beauty of the 3/8 low pro Picco on the 241 I can resharpen after rocking it on a stump way faster than say 3/8.
Do you have a 241? if not get one.

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning toward the 261 as it has more power and just 1# heavier. The one I looked at had a 20" bar, not a 16".
I am thinking of going with the 20 as I will probably use the 041 less and less.

I got e-mail notifications for the first couple responses, but no idea that 4 pages had happened.

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaning toward the 261 as it has more power and just 1# heavier. The one I looked at had a 20" bar, not a 16".
I am thinking of going with the 20 as I will probably use the 041 less and less.

I got e-mail notifications for the first couple responses, but no idea that 4 pages had happened.
If you want more power get a 70 cc saw!

I think I agree with Jim now. 4 pages of most people saying the 241 and you still go with the 261. Thanks for wasting our good arguing time. We could have been discussing gas quality and oil mix ratios.

Don't know for sure but I'd bet ready to cut the 261 is a good 2# more which is a lot for the little bit faster cutting speed. . Steve

16 in on the 241, the shortest bar I run on the 70 cc saws would be 20 inch, longer chains take more time to sharpen. That is the beauty of the 3/8 low pro Picco on the 241 I can resharpen after rocking it on a stump way faster than say 3/8.
Do you have a 241? if not get one.
Thanks for the info, just wondering what others are doing. Nice having only two chain sizes instead of adding 325 in there as well I guess. I have a bunch of 50cc saws with 325 I enjoy running, but run them the most on firewood. The 241's sip fuel which makes the cut time average even better than it appears cutting cookies.
I like that little picco chain myself, stays sharp a long time.
I've had a couple stock ones in the past I sold on here, they were great, so I grabbed up a ported one :).

Back