New Stihl 241 or 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info, just wondering what others are doing. Nice having only two chain sizes instead of adding 325 in there as well I guess. I have a bunch of 50cc saws on 325 I enjoy running, but run them the most on firewood. The 241's sip fuel which makes the cut time average even better than it appears cutting cookies.
I like that little picco chain myself, stays sharp a long time.
I've had a couple stock ones in the past I sold on here, they were great, so I grabbed up a ported one :).

I like Picco chains a lot. I prefer them over my 325 I have for the 241, but I'm still going to try a 16" 325 on it.

For me the 261 was an easy choice, weight wasn’t a issue. Hell, i sold a like new Dolmar 421 to buy it.

How did the 421 run? It was in my final choices before I got the 241. I was looking at the 543XP (Zenoah), 241 and 421.

What size bar did yours have?

Got the 261 with 20" bar. only cut a few small poplar trees, but the weight difference from the old 041 is great.
Now I just got to get used to working in high heels and a dress.
Did it cut it okay :laugh:.
Don't worry, you'll figure it out, my loggers are kinda like high heels, the dress part I'm not sure about lol.

I got my 241 today. Woohoo! It's awesome. A 14" bar and sharp Pico blade cuts through limbs like butter.

I really like the short bar for limbing. It forced me to move my body rather than reaching for things.

Before:

upload_2018-6-7_18-20-34.png

After:
upload_2018-6-7_18-21-4.png

I got my 241 today. Woohoo! It's awesome. A 14" bar and sharp Pico blade cuts through limbs like butter.

I really like the short bar for limbing. It forced me to move my body rather than reaching for things.

Before & after:

EDIT: this site won't display the photos I'm attaching. Oh well.

1df479742ab85c81e18ca24887b8349e.jpg
42f41b6a03e1259651d932331f8cfaa2.jpg
They are fun little saws.
Screenshot them and then post that.

I weighed both the 241cm with a 14" bar + pico chain, and the 261cm (2018 model) with a 18" bar + 325 chain.

The 241 powerhead empty weighed 10.05 on my scale (vs 9.9 spec) so I don't know if that means my scale weighs high, but it's close enough.

The powerheads when full are 1.2 pounds different. The smaller bar and chain it saves another 1.3 lbs, bringing the total to 2.5 lbs difference. The handling difference is night and day.

Should I have just put a shorter bar on the 261? Maybe? But then I'd have to switch the bars when I get to the fatter part of the tree. This way I can be lazy and just pick up a different saw.

Edit: Tapatalk doesn't render the fixed sized fonts properly. If you want to view my beautiful table below properly formatted you'll need to get out of your lazy boy and walk the 10 feet to your computer. :D

Code:
                                        241cm     261cm    
Weight in lbs:                          14" bar   18"bar     Difference
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Powerhead (empty)                       10.05        ?           ?
Powerhead + full fluids                 11.2       12.4        +1.2
Powerhead + full fluids + bar & chain   12.7       15.2        +2.5

Below shots are maxed out fluids. Scale shows pounds and ounces

upload_2018-6-7_18-22-12.png

upload_2018-6-7_18-22-30.png

I weighed both the 241cm with a 14" bar + pico chain, and the 261cm (2018 model) with a 18" bar + 325 chain.

The 241 powerhead empty weighed 10.05 on my scale (vs 9.9 spec) so I don't know if that means my scale weighs high, but it's close enough.

The powerheads when full are 1.2 pounds different. The smaller bar and chain it saves another 1.3 lbs, bringing the total to 2.5 lbs difference. The handling difference is night and day.

Should I have just put a shorter bar on the 261? Maybe? But then I'd have to switch the bars when I get to the fatter part of the tree. This way I can be lazy and just pick up a different sawdit: Tapatalk doesn't render the fixed sized fonts properly. If you want to view my beautiful table below properly formatted you'll need to get out of your lazy boy and walk the 10 feet to your computer. :D

That's what I thought, around 2# more for the 261 the way we use them and that's a lot when the cutting speed is close due to that 3/8 lp chain. Steve

Code:
                                        241cm     261cm    

View attachment 656596

View attachment 656597

Should I have just put a shorter bar on the 261? Maybe? But then I'd have to switch the bars when I get to the fatter part of the tree. This way I can be lazy and just pick up a different saw.

Edit: Tapatalk doesn't render the fixed sized fonts properly. If you want to view my beautiful table below properly formatted you'll need to get out of your lazy boy and walk the 10 feet to your computer. :D

Code:
                                        241cm     261cm    

View attachment 656596

View attachment 656597

In that thread you weighed the 241 at 10 lbs 10 oz. I wonder if they've gotten lighter since 2016. The spec is 9.9 and mine was 10.05

I really want a 241, as mentioned with the 14" bar as well. Someday I'd like to handle one, just to compare it to the 171 that I've got. Obviously it will cut much faster, but I rarely cut wood larger than 6-8" diameter with it since I own a 261C. I like that from the tip of the bar on my 171, to the vertical recess in the clutch cover, is exactly 17". That works rather well to cut wood, or mark out a log as I work my way down from the top.

Latest posts

Back