New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow & spreading tree. Sounds like fun. Do you get paid for that....

Think we are the only ones in 'here' Mike?
Yeah! Somebody turned it into a hatrack many years ago. We got it done with 2 climbers! Had to reset lines and climb back up on a couple of those lateral ends. I don't know how I survived 10 plus years before learning SRT.

The other climber accidentally took out a storm window with a throw bag unfortunately. Customer still was quite happy with the work.

Structurally pruned a bunch of street trees for our borough yesterday. Some easier climbs!
20230314_090255.jpg

It's not too horrible. Radio and heat are a plus. A lot of back-blading because Pa likes to rip some **** up if not careful. Being able to mound it up 14' with the telescope is nice. Just about to head out there for round two as we speak.
Would happily get out & push some snow at present. Looks decent quality for a residential area, what altitude are you there?

Still sweating like bastards that we are today, not much sign of snow or anything really. Just kicked into autumn, nights are cooling off & a bit of dew, but even working in the shade today was cooking.

Doing a quick job for little old lady type client, long term client, good word of mouth with a certain demographic, was having some sort of spinner & weavers meeting with lots of chocolate slice & cups of tea while we made lots of noise right outside. Intermittently she rushed out to hug the log of tree we removed, which think the neighbour had something to do with it’s demise.

Put new tyres on the tool truck, for a bigger footprint in the sand & mud. Should be nice & solid for off road work. Not a cheap outing.

63BE73D6-2A52-4CAF-B22D-C907369226E3.jpeg
08617E60-3CA5-47BC-B19F-789E3B336573.jpeg
50F5A93E-4585-42BC-A4B3-A841FA475483.jpeg
0E34D6D3-E2AC-4C39-BCFF-801694A9D410.jpeg

A quick search says 1,052’ elevation. (I learn something almost every day).

This mid March sun put a hurting on that snow today. Gotta love that anyway!

I like the “tyres”. Sounds like a smart investment (always satisfying to look at when new too). Constant tweaks like that over time are one of the things that makes a company an efficient, pleasurable place to work. Nice when things run smoothly and there’s a tool suited to every foreseeable circumstance/task.

Yeah! Somebody turned it into a hatrack many years ago. We got it done with 2 climbers! Had to reset lines and climb back up on a couple of those lateral ends. I don't know how I survived 10 plus years before learning SRT.

The other climber accidentally took out a storm window with a throw bag unfortunately. Customer still was quite happy with the work.

Structurally pruned a bunch of street trees for our borough yesterday. Some easier climbs!
View attachment 1066380

Nice. Were you guys able to squeeze in Cocaine Bear at lunch? Lol

Would happily get out & push some snow at present. Looks decent quality for a residential area, what altitude are you there?

Still sweating like bastards that we are today, not much sign of snow or anything really. Just kicked into autumn, nights are cooling off & a bit of dew, but even working in the shade today was cooking.

Doing a quick job for little old lady type client, long term client, good word of mouth with a certain demographic, was having some sort of spinner & weavers meeting with lots of chocolate slice & cups of tea while we made lots of noise right outside. Intermittently she rushed out to hug the log of tree we removed, which think the neighbour had something to do with it’s demise.

Put new tyres on the tool truck, for a bigger footprint in the sand & mud. Should be nice & solid for off road work. Not a cheap outing.

View attachment 1066394
View attachment 1066397
View attachment 1066395
View attachment 1066396
Beautiful photography as always. Why the half hitch on that basal anchor?

Myself and 2 others on my crew are doing the new cdl training next week. Should be able to get our class A tests in 2 weeks.

Beautiful photography as always. Why the half hitch on that basal anchor?

Myself and 2 others on my crew are doing the new cdl training next week. Should be able to get our class A tests in 2 weeks.

Spread the load, minimise movement on the stem, leave less rope wear on tree.

The climber in photos prefers that method for his basal ties, I prefer a clove hitch, backed up by an inline bowline. Occasionally will run releasable basal anchors, but generally we'll go a straight tie & switch to canopy anchor or double rope.

A quick search says 1,052’ elevation. (I learn something almost every day).

This mid March sun put a hurting on that snow today. Gotta love that anyway!

I like the “tyres”. Sounds like a smart investment (always satisfying to look at when new too). Constant tweaks like that over time are one of the things that makes a company an efficient, pleasurable place to work. Nice when things run smoothly and there’s a tool suited to every foreseeable circumstance/task.

Respectable altitude (350 odd metres).

New tyres got to feel some light mud today, actually bloody rained!! Nice to see moisture bearing clouds again.

Working in a nice private garden. Plenty of less common species for us - walnut, liquidamber, maple, paulownia.

Anybody got an ID on this maple (fourth shot) . Tiny leaf, dense canopy, usually our hot summers torch the maples, but these two getting going with plenty of summer watering & an overstorey of paulownia buffering them from the worst of the heat.

FBB17EFF-5F4E-43D4-9A84-23702F54DFCC.jpeg

E1B7B1E2-44EE-437B-AB78-1E686FFD8E4C.jpeg

A269C5FD-C33D-4C70-AA0F-640394AB48C7.jpeg

F73D63B2-7A48-404C-B919-FE4000F9A240.jpeg

87B862EB-3F01-4202-A381-5803F029724F.jpeg

Acer palmatum: Japanese maple. We have them everywhere here. The red ones are the more commonly planted.

We have Sweetgum here too. Just not many people plant them. I think that's because they're kind of weak and the fruit is considered a nuisance. I always thought they were cool looking trees.

For some reason I wasn't able to reply for the last few weeks. I don't know what that was all about.

We got a huge amount of snow in our area. Up to 36" in a few isolated locations. The majority was between 12"-24". Heavy wet snow pushed like concrete. A few pictures from my 24 hrs of plowing. It was like armageddon!

Last year of plowing for me. 7 years of being a plow driver. Time to pass that burden on to the next person. 30 driveways every time it snows is no fun. Talk about a burden!

Attachments

• 20230314_073733.jpg
    20230314_073733.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230314_083401.jpg
    20230314_083401.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230314_114800.jpg
    20230314_114800.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230315_145645.jpg
    20230315_145645.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230315_155212.jpg
    20230315_155212.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230315_112041.jpg
    20230315_112041.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230315_120212.jpg
    20230315_120212.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
Respectable altitude (350 odd metres).

New tyres got to feel some light mud today, actually bloody rained!! Nice to see moisture bearing clouds again.

Working in a nice private garden. Plenty of less common species for us - walnut, liquidamber, maple, paulownia.

Anybody got an ID on this maple (fourth shot) . Tiny leaf, dense canopy, usually our hot summers torch the maples, but these two getting going with plenty of summer watering & an overstorey of paulownia buffering them from the worst of the heat.
View attachment 1066697

Lol, I keep thinking of that Seinfeld episode with the lobster! :laugh:

No offense, mate!!

You mean do the written test for the permit in two weeks, or the actual road test?
Road test (I think!) I think the permit test is considered the written.

My one cdl driver (same guy who fell off the deck) is having ankle surgery in 2 weeks. Our (now) only bucket is 33k gvw so these CDL tests will be very timely for us.

I finally heard back from my ins. co valuator for the f650 we totalled. only 23k. The comps they used were horroendous old f750 bombs with 200k miles. I asked for a reevaluation based on several f650 bucket comps I found online. Here's to hoping that works! I'm looking to get around 50k.

Thanks for the info on the basal ties. I like how you guys do things down under... I've never had the patience to learn canopy anchors. It takes so much time to isolate your TIP, I'd rather just do it the old fashioned way. I feel like that defeats one of the main benefits of SRT.

Please post a pic of the rest of your equipment truck with the new tires. Looks like a sweet rig.

This is one of the comps haha
1679058863532.png

It's something like 218k miles with an old Aerial of CT boom. It would take 10s of thousands just to get this thing road and air worthy. I'm just stunned they would consider this comparable to my f650 (pictured below).

1679058942101.png

I found a comp, same year, engine, and boom that sold at auction in November for 50k. It's basically the exact truck with 20k more miles.
1679059078599.png

Hopefully they'll reconsider their appraisal. Yikes! I guess insurance companies need to make money too!

For some reason I wasn't able to reply for the last few weeks. I don't know what that was all about.

We got a huge amount of snow in our area. Up to 36" in a few isolated locations. The majority was between 12"-24". Heavy wet snow pushed like concrete. A few pictures from my 24 hrs of plowing. It was like armageddon!

Last year of plowing for me. 7 years of being a plow driver. Time to pass that burden on to the next person. 30 driveways every time it snows is no fun. Talk about a burden!
You mean snowmageddon???

Sounds like a tough year to plow snow with it being so hit or miss. Maybe a good year for seasonal contracts?

If you can get two or three class A's in a couple few weeks, that would be impressive to say the least! I hope you can do it, will be interesting to see.

I'm pretty sure all of my trucks are insured for specific amounts. I just went through that with my ins. co. last year. My bucket was somehow under-insured at $150k. We upped it to $200k. Would've really sucked if something like happened to you went down! I mentioned something to the driver the other week about why he was going so slow back there, he said he didn't like driving other peoples equipment too fast. I thought about the images of your truck on its side and said "okay, that's cool, I just wanted to make sure it was running alright". lol

Edit: I think even my 02 international is insured for 40k. Which is fair in my mind. Even though it's old and needs restoring, it works perfect and would be hard to replace with someone else's junker.

Latest posts

Back