New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice morning drive through the local nature preserve. Now is time to start putting this winter crap to rest. I don’t think I have ever been so ready for spring in my life! Winter is like an old foe to me and the hatred just grows with every year!!
View attachment 1061762
View attachment 1061763
I feel the same way!

I was hoping to restore my truck but it looks like the boom is too damaged to risk trying.
20230228_115611.jpg20230228_115333.jpg
It appears the upper boom is torqued a bit and I broke a spline in the main rotator thing.

On the very bright side I should be getting around 50k from insurance for this 2004 truck, which is way more than I have into it anyway!

My little wife has been getting after me to sell a truck so it all works out for the better. I doubt I would have gotten anywhere near what insurance is hopefully giving me.

maybe take the boom off the truck, and have a mini skid platform between the box and cab? would be one idea
then you can part the boom out, since its still got mostly good hydraulics and valves, you could find something handy to build, like a large log splitter to handle the real big rounds?

I feel the same way!

I was hoping to restore my truck but it looks like the boom is too damaged to risk trying.
View attachment 1061821View attachment 1061822
It appears the upper boom is torqued a bit and I broke a spline in the main rotator thing.

On the very bright side I should be getting around 50k from insurance for this 2004 truck, which is way more than I have into it anyway!

My little wife has been getting after me to sell a truck so it all works out for the better. I doubt I would have gotten anywhere near what insurance is hopefully giving me.

Hey Mike, you see the cover of the new Tree and Landscape Trader? Easy Lift is really making a run at the lift market offering 3.9% financing. Pretty smart.

The 101-48AJ is pretty interesting, just watched some videos on it (obviously I'm not in the market for another lift, but this stuff just interests me). I like the thought of more up and down reach at max side reach, but I'm just not a fan of the whole elbow thing, let alone the super-elbow. Lol.

Hey Mike, you see the cover of the new Tree and Landscape Trader? Easy Lift is really making a run at the lift market offering 3.9% financing. Pretty smart.

The 101-48AJ is pretty interesting, just watched some videos on it (obviously I'm not in the market for another lift, but this stuff just interests me). I like the thought of more up and down reach at max side reach, but I'm just not a fan of the whole elbow thing, let alone the super-elbow. Lol.
I wonder how fast the hydraulics are on this unit. looking at the 92HD+ but the boom moves way too slow, the 100hd+ is even slower

I like the easy lift. Apparently most of the parts are easy to find and replace unlike some of the European models.

3.9% is pretty nuts in this market!

The dump truck/mini skid idea isn't a bad one. Could easily resell something like that.

The dump truck/mini skid idea isn't a bad one. Could easily resell something like that.
personally id keep it around like that
as long as the engine is still good and didnt run on its side too long, itll sell easy if you go that route, or let the insurance company handle it and lose the headache
use the PTO to operate a folding ramp on the side (12ft long, hinged in the middle), make a mount on the front bumper to carry a grapple (1.5x1.5 box tube, fits right up inside the main tube on a BMG grapple, set grapple on, close around mount and pin the grapple in place with a normal trailer hitch pin through the grapple receiver mount)

Fun idea. I've got too many other irons in the fire right now.

You can buy it for the salvage value if you want! Might be expensive to transport it down south.

Due to the winter survival mode, we are working a skeleton crew now. My other arborist has somehow found a gig making 50 per hour building a deck for a few weeks while we're slow. Basically it's me and two trainees for now. I'm getting back in shape doing lots of climbing. Also trying to stay out of the mud. I've lost hope on a couple of those "do it when the ground freezes" jobs.

I'm looking forward to the spring crazy. Yikes I've got bills to catch up on.

I'm thinking next winter we'll take a 2 month shut down in Jan and Feb and build up bids until March. It feels unfair that I've been stringing the guys along on half unemployment half work this year.

You can buy it for the salvage value if you want! Might be expensive to transport it down south.

I'm thinking next winter we'll take a 2 month shut down in Jan and Feb and build up bids until March. It feels unfair that I've been stringing the guys along on half unemployment half work this year.

I'm getting rid of the last couple remnants of the old days (junks) that're behind my shop shortly. Going to get fresh processed stone and do the whole yard like I've been wanting this year. Everything nice and matching colors, turn key and registered. Done with it. No bucket truck log splitters for me lol.

I like your plan of shutting down for January and February. Pretty much what I've been doing anyway, except next winter I'm going to actually have a decent savings built up (hopefully). This year was far less than ideal.

Sounds like you've had a tough winter as well. I wouldn't feel bad. This business can and will brutalize even the very best of us on a sunny day in busy season, let alone attempting to go at it through winter. It can be a mean thing this tree servicing, but I guess it keeps us humble, right? :laugh:

I do love tree work, but lately I've started compiling a list in my head of reasons why if I had it to do over again I might consider doing something different. I'm thinking it might make an interesting tail of winter topic. The worst aspects of tree work and why I sometimes wish I never got into this nightmare in the first place list. Just off the top of my head, and not in any particular order, here are some of the worst aspects as The MDS sees it:

1) The people I'm sometimes (usually) forced to deal with in the course of simply trying to make a living doing a difficult, highly dangerous job that I love. The dreaded employees.

2) The simple fact that no matter who you are, and how safe you try to be, you never know when it's your time for death or (arguably) worse, serious injury. That's a grim reality once you truly understand it and see it happen.

3) Winter.

4) Easy entry level for Goobers and tards of all types (good for them, but not so much for professionals trying to earn an honest living)

5) Lack of predictable revenue so that one can have a normal life.

6) Way too hard to make it sustainable unless maybe one wants to get involved with all that froofy twig chasing, cabling and spraying BS.

7) Finding, growing, and/or retaining normal, quality workers that are stupid enough to want to do this long term.

8) Highly competitive. It gets old, but hard to curb the hate.

9) Total lack of attractive females in the workplace.

10) Dirtbag workers with zero common sense and mechanical ability trying to destroy your equipment at every turn and in every way possible.

11) The ever-constant low bidding morons and upstarts.

12) Rampant substance abuse and general creepiness of the various workers we get to pick from. Lol.

13) The worker driving skills.

I know there's a lot I missed here, but that's a good start for anyone actually considering "starting your own tree business". There are good parts, but in the long run I kinda wonder if they're actually worth it. Just my two cents. Feel free to add anything I might've missed. :laugh:

Summer is probably the single reason for me….

Shitful season it is for those who love outdoors. Too much sun, even for the well coloured like self.

But has been nearly full steam (literally) ahead since getting back from two months on the road. Working around the heat & dust best we can.

Am known for being picky with employees & if guys can make it through the mental & physical challenges, they become good friends. Treat them with respect, lead by example, pay well, give them pride in their work, give them ownership & push the envelope. Have no time for substance abuse or less than athlete fitness levels. But am flexible around peoples families, education & healthy lifestyle pursuits. If the surfs good & can be facilitated, will start a job later so guys can get a wave in. If they want to do a bushwalking trip for four weeks with the partner, or a carpentry course on the side, I would never say no. Because all those things make better, stronger, more well adjusted people. Sure some things rile me & hate equipment getting broken or lost unnecessarily, but do try not to whinge.

Did over 14hrs on the job today, guys started in the dark & finished in the dark. They did it with a smile, we had fun, didn’t break anything & went at manic pace for 12.5 of those hours.

407233BA-22F8-4FC1-8E66-B9927C9FB085.jpeg

584C4364-8D4E-487E-B78F-3031C2E0FA6B.jpeg

DE3CEF54-D273-4D13-848B-CD64932947DD.jpeg

A216419F-4EF9-4CB5-9920-B3E782939262.jpeg

Due to the winter survival mode, we are working a skeleton crew now. My other arborist has somehow found a gig making 50 per hour building a deck for a few weeks while we're slow. Basically it's me and two trainees for now. I'm getting back in shape doing lots of climbing. Also trying to stay out of the mud. I've lost hope on a couple of those "do it when the ground freezes" jobs.

I'm looking forward to the spring crazy. Yikes I've got bills to catch up on.

Sorry to hear that Mike. It's not a nice feeling drip feeding work to good employee's.

Diversity & flexibility is key to riding out quiet times in my opinion.

personally id keep it around like that
as long as the engine is still good and didnt run on its side too long, itll sell easy if you go that route, or let the insurance company handle it and lose the headache
use the PTO to operate a folding ramp on the side (12ft long, hinged in the middle), make a mount on the front bumper to carry a grapple (1.5x1.5 box tube, fits right up inside the main tube on a BMG grapple, set grapple on, close around mount and pin the grapple in place with a normal trailer hitch pin through the grapple receiver mount)

Shine meets Mad Max.

Swamp Max!!

I think you're probably one of the rare individuals best suited to actually succeed at this (just from what I see and read here). I also think there are other factors at play tilting the scales. Such as environment and general quality of worker available.

Shitful season it is for those who love outdoors. Too much sun, even for the well coloured like self.

But has been nearly full steam (literally) ahead since getting back from two months on the road. Working around the heat & dust best we can.

Am known for being picky with employees & if guys can make it through the mental & physical challenges, they become good friends. Treat them with respect, lead by example, pay well, give them pride in their work, give them ownership & push the envelope. Have no time for substance abuse or less than athlete fitness levels. But am flexible around peoples families, education & healthy lifestyle pursuits. If the surfs good & can be facilitated, will start a job later so guys can get a wave in. If they want to do a bushwalking trip for four weeks with the partner, or a carpentry course on the side, I would never say no. Because all those things make better, stronger, more well adjusted people. Sure some things rile me & hate equipment getting broken or lost unnecessarily, but do try not to whinge.

Did over 14hrs on the job today, guys started in the dark & finished in the dark. They did it with a smile, we had fun, didn’t brake anything & went at manic pace for 12.5 of those hours.

View attachment 1062670

View attachment 1062671

View attachment 1062668

View attachment 1062669

Watch the lawn!! lol

Did over 14hrs on the job today, guys started in the dark & finished in the dark. They did it with a smile, we had fun, didn’t break anything & went at manic pace for 12.5 of those hours.

View attachment 1062670

View attachment 1062671

View attachment 1062668

View attachment 1062669
What a job! Long day. I would enjoy working for someone like you- minus the horrendous temperatures! And the venomous creatures of the outback!

What a job! Long day. I would enjoy working for someone like you- minus the horrendous temperatures! And the venomous creatures of
The venomous creatures would probably be the least of your problems, lol.

Aren’t those people all rumored to have been descended from criminals (or is that not true)? I’m not sure you’d fit in lol.,

Latest posts

Back