New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my point is I dont need AC, dont need 330HP, and I can get unstuck without 4x4 (did it day 1 with the truck, meanwhile it kept sliding towards a house 5ft away, woodchips and limbs FTW)
and 207K, my whole company cost less, and can do almost any job you have posted pictures of on here, only ever called a climber ONE time for a job we couldnt do, and that was only because another company lied to the crane company so they wouldnt show up

Oh my....

Sound's like Treevet, without a broken voice.

You might regret some of those statements.

Totally unrelated, but just thinking out loud…

The problem I have with crane work, as cool and efficient as it is (can be), is it seems to make these fledgling beginners look and feel better than they actually are (to the untrained eye). I mean show me something real, show me what you can do with ropes and skill, because in the end that’s all a real treeman has anyway… I’m talking rubber hitting the road type deal, no access. Crane, smane. Just saying.
We don't have time to put beginners and trainees in that position if the job is about production. We do have jobs that are lucrative with enough buffer to start to bring those guys up to that level. Our guys go thru extensive training before we send them up. All the documentation and certs help our guys feel confident when we put them on a job. Sure, a lot of them say they can do it, they are ready, but they are ready when we say they are ready. It is actually amazing the amount of work and success we have. Crew morale and knowing they matter is important.
It was a beautiful day!
Jeff :dancing:

not much of a beginner, ive been doing tree work for about 2 years, commercial about a year, yall talk sh*t about this "fantasy camp" and "childsplay"
I would like to have any single one of you come work with me for a day, once you know what im all about then talk all the sh*t you want
you wont have much to talk about, I will even pay whoever comes and works with me.

not much of a beginner, ive been doing tree work for about 2 years, commercial about a year, yall talk sh*t about this "fantasy camp" and "childsplay"
I would like to have any single one of you come work with me for a day, once you know what im all about then talk all the sh*t you want
you wont have much to talk about, I will even pay whoever comes and works with me.
You are lucky that you live in an area where 'Hacks' can still work. You wouldn't make it in the real world.
Jeff

You are lucky that you live in an area where 'Hacks' can still work. You wouldn't make it in the real world.
Jeff
im not a hack lol, pay taxes, have an LLC, follow Z133 and A300, please customers daily, word of mouth is my main seller, stay ontop of maintenance, have safety meetings, training days, never had in insurance claim, among others
my competition is multiple multi million dollar companies within 20 minutes of me, almost every job we do is word of mouth and people that have had them (multi million dollar tree services) work, and chose not to use them again because we go above and beyond, never had a tree die that ive pruned, never topped a tree, and always come up with a solution that suits the tree, and the customer
also, my customers are life long customers, almost never get one that wont use us again, typically that is after I refuse to barter 50% off the price

I can PM you my phone number if you would like to have a talk with me about it

how about this, since you are a keyboard warrior (that ive never seen work) then get down here and work with me for a day, or two
with the sh*t you talk id probably fire you before you finished your first day

im not a hack lol, pay taxes, have an LLC, follow Z133 and A300, please customers daily, word of mouth is my main seller, stay ontop of maintenance, have safety meetings, training days, never had in insurance claim, among others
my competition is multiple multi million dollar companies within 20 minutes of me, almost every job we do is word of mouth and people that have had them (multi million dollar tree services) work, and chose not to use them again because we go above and beyond, never had a tree die that ive pruned, never topped a tree, and always come up with a solution that suits the tree, and the customer
also, my customers are life long customers, almost never get one that wont use us again, typically that is after I refuse to barter 50% off the price

I can PM you my phone number if you would like to have a talk with me about it

how about this, since you are a keyboard warrior (that ive never seen work) then get down here and work with me for a day, or two
with the sh*t you talk id probably fire you before you finished your first day
Silly boy!
Jeff :dancing:

On the topic of how foolish some people are when they first get into this business…

I was **** chatting with a customer while giving an estimate yesterday (roadside) and this guy pulls up, my pickup lettered and in plain view, and says “hey, I saw you guys were looking at the trees, give me a call…” and hands him a door hanger. It was one of those original “Out on a Limb Tree Service” names, or “Top Notch”, “A Cut Above”, something like that.

My customer, this really cool old Vietnam vet hippy, walks back over from the guys pickup and says “What a ****ing *******, you see that ****ing guy, he must’ve been like 73 years old”. Lol. Then he hands me the door hanger and says “you want this ****ing thing”.:laugh:

I don’t know what made me think of that :rolleyes:, but just saying.

Haven’t checked in lately…..he’s really trying his best to destroy this thread. Time for everyone to ignore him or it won’t be worth coming on here much longer.

I hear you. It is hard not to feed into it sometimes though. I mean the thought of a 13 year old holding tailgate safety meetings and training days for his Pa,, lol, really is funny. Too bad it’s so irritating and ruins the thread.

Totally unrelated, but just thinking out loud…

The problem I have with crane work, as cool and efficient as it is (can be), is it seems to make these fledgling beginners look and feel better than they actually are (to the untrained eye). I mean show me something real, show me what you can do with ropes and skill, because in the end that’s all a real treeman has anyway… I’m talking rubber hitting the road type deal, no access. Crane, smane. Just saying.
Pretty much my same sentiment when I bought my crane and started reflecting on my progression. Have been doing tree work in some aspect for almost 15 years and just bought a bucket and crane within the last year. I’ve never been hip on having loans/payments, so I’ve just been saving up $ to be able to buy this stuff. Probably not the best approach because my growth was slow (a bucket or crane on payments would have sped cash flow up substantially), but that approach also made me develop a stronger “tree guy” skill set. Climbing, felling, rigging, hanging trees from other trees, thinking outside the box, characteristics of certain species of trees, etc. A lot of guys get started at a company that is very equipment oriented and they don’t really have varied skill set.

stronger “tree guy” skill set. Climbing, felling, rigging, hanging trees from other trees, thinking outside the box, characteristics of certain species of trees
my climbing needs some work, too hot out to practice climb as much as id like, but my rigging is on point, we hang trees off other trees more often that id expect, and im learning how each tree behaves
silver maple: rots inside out and snaps super easy once cut
oak peels and hinges, overall very strong, dont prune in summer (oakwilt)
hickory, heavy, good strong hinge, peel cuts hang on so its more snap cuts and rigging than a maple
locust: medium weight, awesome hinge, dulls saws, and there is something local to me wiping them out (havent identified yet)
pine: sticky, velcro, almost certainly covered in poison ivy and thorns
cedar: few vines, little to no sap or pitch, bark will peel so side snips are necessary (same for pine and hickory, some younger maples as well)
biggest killer of trees where I live is carpenter ants and termites, almost any tree we do has rot in it because of the ants digging holes, allowing water in, rotting them out
done some cool stuff with rigging over house drops, had a big oak a few weeks ago that we tip tied, and butt tied a long limb that was over the lines (bucket wasnt tall enough to take limb down in small pieces, and wood was too small to climb)
as the limb laid down we swung it off to the side with the tip tie (porty on butt tie, through block, second line through block across the tree to tip tie, due to lack of second porty I used a speedling sling anchored to the winch bracket on my bucket truck to use a munter hitch to lower the tip tie
will get more pics of my "hackjobs" for you guys

Back