New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold a couple pretty decent jobs today anyway. Pretty much all specialized work that couldn’t be done efficiently without MDS iron. And that’s just the reality.

Skirt Trees (Cape, whatever) can slam some more water, toss back a couple melon balls and choke on that with his little jealousy motivated jabs. Cuz it is what it is. Just saying. LOL.

"my thread"
:laughing:

We cut down two big spruce and a small balsam today, chipped the branches and left 12' logs for the owner. Super humid, we were like wet rags at the end. Then picked up a nice job for three maple takedowns, no clean up.

Would love to hear about the tree work you did today.

I wouldn’t hold your breath. Lol.

Does he own a saw? 🤔

My new toy. Still a virgin, keeping it as a backup. The saw shortage here is nasty. Bought this just in case. Going to trade it in for a 462 (when available) I think. Much handier for what we do.

And if you happen to say something nice about that lovely 5/8 Dynasorb, I will accept your compliment with grace and humility. 😁

20220518_111454 - Copy.jpg

48" alaskan with an MS881
View attachment 1008600
some of the larger slabs, rented a small kubota to load them, had to break each log down into small pieces so it would lift them, one inch and a half slab is right at capacity for my boxer
trailer sides are 24" for reference
was 4 trailer loads, 14K dump trailer would barely tip them out, the kubota could only lift one end, so we had to lift the end, back the trailer under, then use the kubota to shove the pieces into the trailer, many lift attempts, had to keep taking slabs off to get the pieces light enough
the tractor was rated to lift around 3K, had a box on the rear for weight and I kept picking the back end up off the ground with these pieces
View attachment 1008601
Sorry I am so late getting back to you.
would like to get a 48" alaskan with an MS881 or maybe a36".
Do not need a big trailer mill for just a few large tree, want to make a few tables & benches.
I have Kubota Modal L4701 with loader/backhoe & tiller, box blade, bush hog.
If you could do it differently what, if anything would you change.

Sold a couple pretty decent jobs today anyway. Pretty much all specialized work that couldn’t be done efficiently without MDS iron. And that’s just the reality.

Skirt Trees (Cape, whatever) can slam some more water, toss back a couple melon balls and choke on that with his little jealousy motivated jabs. Cuz it is what it is. Just saying. LOL.
Only day I'll be jealous of you is if I'm dead and you're not.

anyone can buy or rent any machine you have and I can run anything, trust me, sweetheart

Sorry I am so late getting back to you.
would like to get a 48" alaskan with an MS881 or maybe a36".
Do not need a big trailer mill for just a few large tree, want to make a few tables & benches.
I have Kubota Modal L4701 with loader/backhoe & tiller, box blade, bush hog.
If you could do it differently what, if anything would you change.
the mill is good, have a weight on a pulley system hung from a tree for a gravity feed

we have a skidsteer with a branch manager grapple and forks now, MUCH better than the tractor, dump trailer helps also
although for what we do id say its close to perfect, you will like it if you go this route

a shovel is good for cleaning up the large amounts of sawdust you will accumulate

Pa giant can lift some weight. That's incredible.

I guess that's how you minimize the dreaded ash cleanup debris. Rig everything down.

We are on a 15 dead ash tree removal job. We are felling everything and we will probably have a half day of just cleanup debris.

The baby giant is nice for everyday tree work but it definitely slows to a halt when we have to deal with heavy trunk wood. Any thoughts on a bobcat A300 "wheels that steer" or would you go with a larger Giant MDS?

Yes. I've not run the Giant loaders, and I couldn't tell what model that was, so as to compare the exact specs. I have the Bobcat A300 and it is truly awesome for tree work.
I would guess that within the same weight class, the Giant has a greater loading capacity and has considerably more reach. The A300 will get into smaller spaces and will run circles around an articulating machine. Both will be fairly easy on turf and pavement, but the A300 can be equipped with floatation tires for almost no tracks on firm ground. That being said, when an almost 10k machine carries a 3k log out of the back yard, it's going to put depressions in loamy soil, whether or not it tears up the turf.

The A300 will be considerably more versatile, as it can switch to skid-steer mode, and work very tight quarters with any skid steer attachment. The operator's 360° visibility will be much better on the Giant, but the A300 will outperform the articulating loader on steep slopes, as it has a lower center of gravity (providing you don't try raising that loader too much!). Should you goof up and roll them both down a hill, the Bobcat will incur less damage, but it will have a greater tendency to keep rolling once it is started. The Giant will have vastly greater stability against rolling over backwards (a real weakness of all skid steers), so it should outperform the A300 driving empty up a hill to recover a load.

If I were to dial in my ideal equipment for loaders, I'd want the articulated loader for it's greater capacity, and I would dream of having a smaller machine than the A300 that still had the switchable-wheel steering in a lighter package. I think all the tiny skid steer machines like the Dingo are not so good an investment, once you learn how much traction is thrown away skid-steering around on every job. Too bad nobody makes a smaller version of the A300.

Until you try the A300, you just cannot appreciate how much traction is just thrown away on skid steering. I've been hopelessly stuck countless times while in skid steer mode, but I just flip the switch and go to 4-wheel steering and usually drive right out. There is a lot to be said for having 4 wheels all pulling in the direction you want to go, but that is a trait shared with all the articulating loaders, too. Digging power while grading or loading materials is similarly improved.

Found your "little" Giant model. The A300 is a whole lot more machine than the 2500 series Giant. It has a little more height to pin, but it weighs about 2 tons more. It has about 4 times as much horsepower and twice the hydraulic capacity. The Bobcat is a full 6' wide, but has a similar turning radius. Being a whole lot heavier machine, it can pick up logs close to 50% larger.

Just imagine having twice the speed and power in the same length package, and that will be a decent comparison to the Giant. On the other hand, that Bobcat probably comes with a much higher price tag.

Found your "little" Giant model. The A300 is a whole lot more machine than the 2500 series Giant. It has a little more height to pin, but it weighs about 2 tons more. It has about 4 times as much horsepower and twice the hydraulic capacity. The Bobcat is a full 6' wide, but has a similar turning radius. Being a whole lot heavier machine, it can pick up logs close to 50% larger.

Just imagine having twice the speed and power in the same length package, and that will be a decent comparison to the Giant. On the other hand, that Bobcat probably comes with a much higher price tag.
I do believe the bobcat is actually cheaper

also more dealers
easier to find parts
field serviceable
having 4 wheel steer is nice, BUT the articulation would be good for knocking your grapple around to grab smaller stuff, I find even my skidsteer is a pain sometimes to turn my branch manager
easier to get on a mini skid
articulated loader is probably 2nd
bobcat 3rd on the list

how bad does the A300 tear up lawn and rut soft ground?
I know my tracked unit will float right over mud my 1200 pound mower will sink in (found out the mower sinking the hard way, had to use skidsteer to pull it out)
im finally getting used to the boxer, once you get the hang of operating it you can move some really heavy stuff, nothing like the bobcat tho
my trailer can only have 10K or so in the box so im not worried about loading heavy pieces, we just cut smaller pieces, stack logs in the bottom then use the machine to throw rounds over the side ontop of the logs
I can turn around inside my trailer, about half an inch of clearance between the platform and corner of the far track, and I have to raise the grapple over the side, its doable but time consuming so I avoid it when I can

Latest posts

Back