New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you dont mind, why the prusik on the lowering line? never seen it, and cant wrap my head around it helping

maybe there is something to it?

Good catch! :)

A half-assed effort to keep the yellow line from loosening during the first part of the drop. My climber had a problem with it that day for some reason and that was the ten-cent solution. I think we stopped using it after a few shots.

Usually we never have that problem, that day we did. Not sure why.

Good catch! :)

A half-assed effort to keep the yellow line from loosening during the first part of the drop. My climber had a problem with it that day for some reason and that was the ten-cent solution. I think we stopped using it after a few shots.

Usually we never have that problem, that day we did. Not sure why.
makes sense
I normally do a half hitch under my running bow (or daisy chain hitch, its almost like magic)
I suppose either way works, I use the half hitch because it also helps grip the log

makes sense
I normally do a half hitch under my running bow (or daisy chain hitch, its almost like magic)
I suppose either way works, I use the half hitch because it also helps grip the log

I'm sure you're right on. I should check that out.

I can't remember why we were having a problem, but we did. As stated, that was my ten-cent solution.

Half hitch onto a timber hitch for me. Anytime the log is short or the weight is significant.
See, that 1/2 hitch is what takes the beating. No other knot is as strong.

I seldom use a running bowline. Pretty much only when I am actually using it to run up the line and hitch something remotely. Otherwise, I'm timber hitch all the way. Faster to tie, and the groundies can untie it reliably.

Half hitch onto a timber hitch for me. Anytime the log is short or the weight is significant.

I seldom use a running bowline. Pretty much only when I am actually using it to run up the line and hitch something remotely. Otherwise, I'm timber hitch all the way. Faster to tie, and the groundies can untie it reliably.
I do belive you (or I) may have the wrong names in our heads, for me a "timber hitch" is the one where you take a wrap around the tree, backwards around the standing end, and take wraps around the rope using the rope pinching the tree to keep it tight
tying a timber hitch repeatedly to rig down logs would take forever, and do more rope wear (sliding across the bark each wrap)
unless you are magic, I know a timber hitch (7 wraps for me typically) takes me allot longer to tie than a running bowline
that daisy chain is about as fast as a bowline, but can be untied under load in about half a second by pulling the tail (I always tuck the tail back through the last loop incase it gets snagged it will pull the knot tight instead of loosening)
1661393061513.png 1661393122935.png

I can't remember why we were having a problem, but we did. As stated, that was my ten-cent solution.
just a case of not thinking about it if I had to guess
forgot coffee, put boots on the wrong feet first thing, stopped for gas on the way to work, could be anything really
its usually the silly little things we forget about, don't feel bad im pretty sure I forgot my climb line and had to go home and get it once

I do belive you (or I) may have the wrong names in our heads, for me a "timber hitch" is the one where you take a wrap around the tree, backwards around the standing end, and take wraps around the rope using the rope pinching the tree to keep it tight
tying a timber hitch repeatedly to rig down logs would take forever, and do more rope wear (sliding across the bark each wrap)
unless you are magic, I know a timber hitch (7 wraps for me typically) takes me allot longer to tie than a running bowline
that daisy chain is about as fast as a bowline, but can be untied under load in about half a second by pulling the tail (I always tuck the tail back through the last loop incase it gets snagged it will pull the knot tight instead of loosening)

Hmmm. I wonder why they call it the "timber" hitch?
Nope. The only thing you have wrong is the need for 7 turns. Rope wear is non-existent. Quite frankly, you are really stretching for excuses to not use the knot with that lame theory.
Yes, you probably would take forever to use it, but your lack of skill with it isn't a problem that I have.

Try it with a few less wraps. I never use more than four, and seldom more than two. No, I've never dropped a log using that knot, either. Try it tied fast without worrying about whether it will actually hold. Just make sure that your wraps are ALWAYS made at least 50% back around the wood being hitched. Putting five wraps on without going around to the back side of the log is pointless and dangerous. Yes! Like any other knot, it can be done wrong.
Maybe try it when you don't need to rig at all, and see how few wraps it takes to hold reliably.

I also generally use the timber hitch to set my portawrap, although I usually use "slipped" wraps, so that the tail can be yanked and release the whole thing. Particularly heavy rigging on a large diameter tree, I'll use a stilson hitch. Same for very short chunks coming out of the tree, on account of that's a hitch that just doesn't fail.

Your daisy chain looks like it will take up too much tail, and leave a dangly knot hanging down to be cut carelessly, or it will be annoying at a minimum to work around. If you don't mind doing that, I don't mind that you do it either.

just a case of not thinking about it if I had to guess
forgot coffee, put boots on the wrong feet first thing, stopped for gas on the way to work, could be anything really
its usually the silly little things we forget about, don't feel bad im pretty sure I forgot my climb line and had to go home and get it once

Or you forgot it at the job as we have done. 🤔 "Where is that rope?"

Truth be said, if you have a groundman who can't handle a bowline... you might need a new groundman. ;)

We live on the bowline. I always find it funny to watch videos of guys tying "improved bowlines". We've tied thousands of 'standard" for all kinds of applications, never seen one fail.

The timber hitch unties faster than a bowline. Each has small advantages.

Bowline is a bit more of "in one spot". If that happens to be on the bottom of a log, that's a problem.
The timber hitch wraps around the whole log, so it too can get bound up with the tail clamped with a heavy load pressing the rope into the dirt.

As to my groundies? Yeah, I could use some upgrades.

The timber hitch unties faster than a bowline
wanna bet money on that?
even better yet, the daisy chain hitch!
for the daisy, if you get to the end of the chain and its too tight to pull out by hand, take a wrap on the BMG bollard to pull it out
for the rope wear, every time you pull between the other line and the tree is tearing up the line worse than a straight choke around (I notices this using my portawrap slings, strands pick and get cut/snagged when making the wraps
and 7 wraps because I like to use the entire tail of the sling, it holds better, and keeps the tail off the ground, also the trees here are not perfectly round and you have to add wraps to get past "low" spots in the trunk, little voids and divots where the sling doesnt touch the wood
not sure about your perfect scenario trees and lala land, just saying what we do at my company, and why
everything we do has a reason, from personal experience or others getting hurt or insurance claims

...We've tied thousands of 'standard" for all kinds of applications, never seen one fail.

Now I'm not trying to tell anyone to give up a nice reliable knot like the bowline.

What I am saying is that until you have experience (and competance) with quite a few different knots, you are unable to judge which knot is best for any given situation. So learn a few more, and store away in your mind the best knots for any given situation.

Now I'm not trying to tell anyone to give up a nice reliable knot like the bowline.

What I am saying is that until you have experience (and competance) with quite a few different knots, you are unable to judge which knot is best for any given situation. So learn a few more, and store away in your mind the best knots for any given situation.

Been doing trees full time since the Great Ice Storm of '98. There are 1001 guys with more knowledge than me, but neither do I consider myself a newb.

I like the bowline and I have enough time under my belt to sing its praises.

What are the knots you use most at work?
im not the one tagged, but ill say what I use lol
running bow, daisy chain, half hitch, scaffold knot, bowline with yosemite, anchor hitch
there is probably 50 or 60 I use in a week, depends on what im doing, but this is what I use most

Back