New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a beautiful day. We were up in the rugged land of Barkhampsted CT, I didn’t get any pics but a nice bucket truck/truck/chipper job. Good days pay, back by 3:30 and had the 4300 loaded with some perfect ash firewood. Probably only a half cord, but you gotta start somewhere lol.

Then I went back and took another look at a good sized job that it’d be nice to get. What a beautiful property. Check out these Sugar Maples!
56AF6CDB-D204-40A2-8D8E-D1AEA5F60316.jpeg01B2BC2C-1236-4AB2-B302-DB1F0A6829C9.jpeg

took down a codom black walnut over a mobile home today for another tree company, got a small pecan tomorrow for Re/Max First, 6 pines thursday, 2 larger pecans for Re/Max on Friday, weekend off, then back to it monday pruning a pecan and getting a maple back from a roof and cable TV lines to a house
made it about 20 minutes into todays job before getting swarmed by bees, so that made for a fun day, going to mill up some walnut logs
I bought an MS170 for the laughs today for 80 bucks, came with a 16" bar that I swapped to my 200t and put my 14" light bar on the 170, cute little thing

1665531216779.png
lined up a majority of my saws today, minus my 261, dads poulan, and 2 polesaws
giving myself ideas, my saw shop is having a meeting with their supplier of climbing gear, everything will be on sale, some stuff will be given away, so im probably buying a 400c (saws will be on sale as well)
id pick up a GRCS but the boxer and crane takes care of that need
1665531316351.png

My crew and I are taking several OSHA courses for a big corporation we're working for next week including an hour long chainsaw safety course. Apparently, you're supposed to change your drive sprocket after going through 2 chains. Seems a bit overkill to me.

The other thing I did not know, after chainsawing for nearly the last 20 years, is that you're not supposed to use an air compressor to clean air filters... oops.

They are easy to take online courses and are actually pretty helpful. I'm considering having our new hires take a couple of them. For NY state jobs you need to have the OSHA 10 hour course anyway.

supposed to change your drive sprocket after going through 2 chains
ive heard all sorts of stuff on that
never once worn out a sprocket, and ive got a few high hour saws in that lineup
would be hard for me to measure that anyways, since I never run 1 chain at a time, I swap between them as they go dull, different wood types, trying different methods to sharpen, ETC

Been a week of it so far. Tomorrow should be an easier day anyway. Today was a super pita of arboristing per customer request. One fractured birch, and just another horrible leader inches off the roof. Who builds houses around these crap trees!!?? Good days pay but well earned.

Special thanks to my buddies at DBL this week. First for awesome crane service and them secondly for piecing my grcs curly cue back together so we could keep on schedule with the pita birch job! Lol!
96F1B8CE-55C9-4A46-B09A-732713A94D06.jpegB7F47A00-1C1E-4828-860F-52290C665427.jpeg58954415-BD25-43DB-9E2A-E37040A1BBCE.jpeg21DB63B2-7592-4AE7-BC83-3F4028D6FFC3.jpeg
And then another pic of one of my customers “Covid projects” Building this wood working shop on his property. Lol. Must be okay. This dude has his **** together. That’s just the barn Covid project featured here, remember!
44B34FDF-F7CD-4E20-AFF7-5DC3F15243F2.jpeg

Been a week of it so far. Tomorrow should be an easier day anyway. Today was a super pita of arboristing per customer request. One fractured birch, and just another horrible leader inches off the roof. Who builds houses around these crap trees!!?? Good days pay but well earned.

Special thanks to my buddies at DBL this week. First for awesome crane service and them secondly for piecing my grcs curly cue back together so we could keep on schedule with the pita birch job! Lol!
View attachment 1023912View attachment 1023913View attachment 1023914View attachment 1023915
And then another pic of one of my customers “Covid projects” Building this wood working shop on his property. Lol. Must be okay. This dude has his **** together. That’s just the barn Covid project featured here, remember!
View attachment 1023917
whats the question, money is the answer.

The first year of owning the baby giant. We had a leak out of that manifold. Took 4 times to the previous dealer "Newtown Power Equipment' to finally fix the leak. They put a new hydro manifold under the joystick. Was something like 7 grand to replace. Warranty covered it. Once you get the kinks worked out it should give you thousands of worry less hours.

That sounds like what might end up happening with mine. They’re picking it up Monday. I’ve been running it with no tele for at least a month now it seems. After a while you hardly even miss it, but it’ll sure be nice to have that function back.

All and all that little machine is a dream though, I have to admit, it would’ve been nice to have had one years ago… of course I didn’t have a log truck then, so I was probably better off with the big one, but still. (Heated cab will be much appreciated in the winter too).

They’re also drooping off a new windshield for my big giant. I got a crack in it somehow. I’m going to have the glass company the recommended install it here probably. I made an insurance claim, so they covered $1700 of the $2700 estimate to replace it ($1000 deductible). Gotta get something back out of those ins. bastards after all these years!

was running the boxer a few days ago, and had an engine mount come loose, punch a hole in the oil filter, and dump all the oil out on a job, been working on it all day, got the mount put back in, did some "exhaust work"
totally un related, a straight piped 3 cyl perkins sounds amazing
picked up a new welder 2 days ago as well, just a cheap 220 amp multiprocess from harbor freight but so far its doing great

put out 50K in bids on sunday
one was a 40k bid lol, 40 trees at a bank, cannot drop them on the parkinglot, have to work when they arent busy, crane out a few between buildings

so far a fun ish week lol

The guys drove the new to us bucket 40 mins to a job yesterday only to discover the outriggers would go down but the boom would not switch over. They scratched their heads until they brought it back and swapped with the 60 footer. Still got that boxelder done but with much time unfortunately wasted.

I took it to the local Mennonite mechanic around 6pm and he had it figured out in 10 mins. Guy is a genius. Apparently there is a small safety switch behind the battery box. Must have gotten bumped when we were cleaning the terminals that morning. The mechanic is pretty busy but he always makes time for us asap. He is one of 9 siblings and His shop is on a large running farm. I seem to almost always have a machine or two there.

Going through two chains? Do you mean after changing two or sharpening it enough that the chain is no good and do that twice?
The latter. It doesn't seem like we go through many sprockets, even on the topper saws.

Down in Philly for a conference at the moment. Gonna check out an old bc1800.

Both of our chippers currently are down for repairs. Why not add a third to the mix?

Getting stuff done. Decided to take the family on a cross continent road trip over summer, while keeping the business going pretty much full speed. Just to add some stress….

Burnt through bridge in awkward, tall leggy nemesis yesterday, favourite saddle, rendering it unservicable, backed it up in tree & finished the devil.

$365 to get a bridge out ASAP from Buckingham!!

BE90EFC3-58C6-4D53-9EF8-835376A60355.jpeg

D6A03F15-3ECD-4289-953B-34DAD5692055.jpeg

EE9364C7-A07F-4902-A714-23F0248B9E43.jpeg

Back