New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or if you have 8 million ####### dollars burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy one of these. But for the money this thing probably costs, I'd get a DMM block and be all Martha's Vineyard, Chardonnay for lunch, fancy pants like Tree MDS. :p

maxresdefault.jpg

What exactly is so special about that thing? Kinda reminds me of those cheapo snatch blocks you can buy at tractor supply lol.

My biggest gear waste of money was the large DMM block… the thing with the extra hole in the top. Was something like $600 and is absolutely the last pulley I ever grab out of the truck. So bulky and heavy it’s pretty much useless imo.

What exactly is so special about that thing? Kinda reminds me of those cheapo snatch blocks you can buy at tractor supply lol.

My biggest gear waste of money was the large DMM block… the thing with the extra hole in the top. Was something like $600 and is absolutely the last pulley I ever grab out of the truck. So bulky and heavy it’s pretty much useless imo.

You hashin' my buzz again? 😡

Actually, that big Rock Exotica block looks to be too big for what it is. The smaller version on the sling looks good. But I'd love to have the small DMM block. That thing is pretty sweet. The big DMM is beyond what we need.

On a separate note…

I’m wondering just how much the high price of diesel is actually taking a bite out of profits this year. I’m not the best figure head, but seems like I’m charging more and retaining less. I can’t think of what else it can be!!??

I filled up the ram, the 4700, the bucket truck and the chipper last week. All were at about a quarter tank. Was just over $700. I think that was an all time record for most spent on fuel in a single morning. Feels that way anyway.

Yikes! Bills, bills, bills.... Diesel is hitting 6 bucks around here right now. I just did the math and spent about $950 last week, which is actually less than I thought! Glad you're getting your John Deere back. I've missed seeing it in your pictures!

We started a 2 day removal job for a large corporation today and took out 2 large London Planes hanging over a building made of glass (literally!)

Their safety standards are higher than any company I've ever worked for. All my guys had to take online certification courses for chainsaw, front end loader, and bucket truck over the last week. At one point there were 5-6 white helmets with clip boards watching making sure we weren't one handing the saw! Having said all of that, if we do well it will lead to a ton more work so I'm willing to jump through whatever hoops they like.

Wish I could take pics of this one. During their safety meeting they explicitly prohibited photography.

ive got one large oak to drop tomorrow, and had a dude stop by a few days ago asking for chips to fill in a pond
coincidentally they are next door, and the job is a block from my house, gonna bring the logs home to mill, and dump chips for free in a pond
landfill is 5 minutes away if we need to take anything there
all in all not bad, can walk home for lunch, free disposal, open drop zone, no back weight, gonna bring the 881 for it tho
gonna be a big thud when it lands

They probably watching for drop starting the saws, too.
pinch between legs and pull, works good and is approved last I saw
in the bucket or tree its near impossible NOT to drop start a saw tho

when it was new my 500i wouldnt start with the compression release pushed in, found that out in the bucket one day, leaning over the side trying to start a saw that was infact impossible to start, I just quit using the decomp on all my saws now, including the 881

Approved, yes. By me and my knees... No.
I've only done it that way a few times in my life. Can't stand it. I'd rather bend over and step on it, and that damn near never happens, either.

Don't you guys just hold the saw in one hand and pull the cord with the other?

I think if anyone around here put the saw between their knees or on the ground to start, the whole job would shut down and everyone would be just be staring.

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Believe it or not, those are the only safe ways to start a chainsaw. "Drop starting" is expressly forbidden by the safety experts, 'cause they know a lot more about this stuff than we do.

Even your favorite saw maker thinks so.

Nobody seems to ever comment on what to do when your big fat toe boot doesn't fit inside the chainsaw handle or how to hold a big saw between your legs and pull hard enough to overcome a saw with no compression release.

I tried the "hold the handle with your knees" method a couple times. It worked better than I thought it would, but nowhere near as effectively as drop starting it.

On a separate note…

I’m wondering just how much the high price of diesel is actually taking a bite out of profits this year. I’m not the best figure head, but seems like I’m charging more and retaining less. I can’t think of what else it can be!!??

I filled up the ram, the 4700, the bucket truck and the chipper last week. All were at about a quarter tank. Was just over $700. I think that was an all time record for most spent on fuel in a single morning. Feels that way anyway.

Certainly a bit of pocket pain the diesel prices. We had a halving of the government fuel excise earlier in year (reduced prices by about 25 cents / litre) but that ended in September.

Filled up just before it ended, back up to $2.38 per litre now. Have managed to string the 'cheap' diesel out for a few weeks, using the truck tanks to fill up machines, but going to have to face the music next couple of days.

I put up prices a little to help ease the pain, but don't think they are covering half of the damage.

Of course stuff like this hasn’t been helping either. This is my JD tractor now. Lol.

Will be nice the have it back up to snuff though. Especially with winter coming.

View attachment 1027203

Equipment gremlins - bane of all our lives, along with the fuel prices.

Just put new tracks & sprockets on my Vermeer loader last weekend, chipper & loader due for a hydraulic flush (1000hrs), injectors to be replaced in one truck, air-con stopped working, got that fixed, reverse camera stopped, chasing a neutral gearbox switch for the heavy rigid truck, new steers coming up on both trucks, one light ute going in for gearbox recon this week, other light ute needs a million small maintenance jobs, but it keeps chugging.

Wouldn't mind making some modifications on some of my gear, but constantly chasing the running repairs makes that hard.

Bought a new family ute, which is pretty pimped up being set up as a dealer demo, but that still requires a few things to ready it for a long road trip.

F0D75B58-3739-4085-9711-600DE197BD1E.jpeg5DB27E34-C8B4-4947-B423-EAD40D8E4741.jpeg37C8994F-B603-4504-A04B-847F55546A15.jpegE39668CA-42A5-4994-842A-A26FF5A11F6E.jpeg
FC1694EB-3B79-456F-9CCF-7C5A2FFD33B1.jpeg

Approved, yes. By me and my knees... No.
I've only done it that way a few times in my life. Can't stand it. I'd rather bend over and step on it, and that damn near never happens, either.

I couldn’t agree more. I hate both the other methods (though I do start the big saw (395) on the ground sometimes. If there’s a log around I’ll usually throw the bar on that so it’s not digging in the dirt, etc. and drop nose that too.

Drop nose start with the chain brake on. At least 95% of the time anyway.

Drop nose is especially effective if you ground guy half flooded the saw out by leg locking it lol.

Just put new tracks & sprockets on my Vermeer loader last weekend, chipper & loader due for a hydraulic flush (1000hrs), injectors to be replaced in one truck, air-con stopped working, got that fixed, reverse camera stopped, chasing a neutral gearbox switch for the heavy rigid truck, new steers coming up on both trucks, one light ute going in for gearbox recon this week, other light ute needs a million small maintenance jobs, but it keeps chugging.

Wouldn't mind making some modifications on some of my gear, but constantly chasing the running repairs makes that hard.

Bought a new family ute, which is pretty pimped up being set up as a dealer demo, but that still requires a few things to ready it for a long road trip.

View attachment 1027357View attachment 1027358View attachment 1027359View attachment 1027355
View attachment 1027360

The dogs look happy. Two thumbs up!!

Are you planning you go snorkeling with that thing? Lol

View attachment 1027357View attachment 1027358View attachment 1027359View attachment 1027355
View attachment 1027360
You guys have the best looking Trucks over there. I'd love to have something like that for the winter to buzz around in. Looks like fun. Love the bed enclosure. Looks expensive!

I couldn’t agree more. I hate both the other methods (though I do start the big saw (395) on the ground sometimes. If there’s a log around I’ll usually throw the bar on that so it’s not digging in the dirt, etc. and drop nose that too.

Drop nose start with the chain brake on. At least 95% of the time anyway.

Drop nose is especially effective if you ground guy half flooded the saw out by leg locking it lol.

Exactly!
I'm probably at 98% drop start, though.

Latest posts

Back