New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A question if I may, since some of you have the good info: is it really that bad to run a 9/16" rope through a block/pulley meant for 1/2"? The block says less than 13mm and the 9/16 is 14.3mm.

I can understand 5/8 and certainly 3/4 squishing through might not be great, but 9/16?

The point is I like my 9/16 Dynasorb and the Rock Exotica 2.6" fixed on the Ultrasling looks mighty sweet.

A question if I may, since some of you have the good info: is it really that bad to run a 9/16" rope through a block/pulley meant for 1/2"? The block says less than 13mm and the 9/16 is 14.3mm.

I can understand 5/8 and certainly 3/4 squishing through might not be great, but 9/16?

The point is I like my 9/16 Dynasorb and the Rock Exotica 2.6" fixed on the Ultrasling looks mighty sweet.
I dont think you will have an issue
put the rope in and take a look, if it looks good send it

I dont think you will have an issue
put the rope in and take a look, if it looks good send it

That's the thing, I don't have the fancy block and sling yet. It's not cheap but it looks super handy. Considering ordering it. And 9/16 is our go to rope. I'm sure you're right and it would be fine. I tell ya, I'd almost consider getting a 1\2" Dynasorb just to use with this thing. What a great lightweight setup.

We have some jury-rigged "ultraslings" and whoopies to use with a heavy block, but when I showed this to my climber, he got all wide eyed. "Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!" :yes:

What a delicious toy!

ScreenShot2022-07-11at1.32.04PM_535x.png

Sounds like it’s just not meant to be. I would stick to the manufacturer’s recommendations on that one.

Or you could listen to Pimples and “send it”. Lol

Sounds like it’s just not meant to be. I would stick to the manufacturer’s recommendations on that one.

Now I'm sad. 😞

But you may well be right. You have to admit, though, it's a nice looking toy. Makes no sense, the WLL on the thing is perfect for 9/16. I suppose my eyeballs fell in love with that sweet looking rig. It just looks so handy.

That said, the new Dynasord II 9/16 went down in WLL from 1500lbs (Dynasorb I) to about 1300, can't imagine why. The 1/2 is at 1050.

Or you could listen to Pimples and “send it”. Lol

I'm just standing here trying to look nonchalant. 😎

So I changed the second feed roller control valve on my big chipper, and did new blades and bolts. Seems to be at least 95% back to normal (if not 100%).

Log truck is back log trucking.

Mini giant is awaiting parts that are in the states, so hopefully that’s done Tuesday or Wednesday

And the JD is being worked on at the dealer, so hopefully that’s not too much longer either

When it rains, it definitely pours. Looking forward to having all the pieces back in play!

You need to run the appropriate size rope. Rigging gear, like climbing gear, is something you can't cut corners on. I once had a block fail and it was close to disastrous. We were very fortunate.

We use those omni blocks with infinity slings daily. Well worth the small investment. Ours are 5/8"

So I changed the second feed roller control valve on my big chipper, and did new blades and bolts. Seems to be at least 95% back to normal (if not 100%).

Log truck is back log trucking.

Mini giant is awaiting parts that are in the states, so hopefully that’s done Tuesday or Wednesday

And the JD is being worked on at the dealer, so hopefully that’s not too much longer either

When it rains, it definitely pours. Looking forward to having all the pieces back in play!
You'll be back "rolling" again like usual soon!

I finally joined the big bad chipper club.
Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 5.09.02 PM.png

It's an 1800 but, apparently, has a 200hp cummins and a tranny from a bc2000. It is WAY bigger than my 12" machines. Looking forward to feeding some big wood with it. Might even bust out my BMG, which hasn't been touched in a year!

Now I'm sad. 😞

But you may well be right. You have to admit, though, it's a nice looking toy. Makes no sense, the WLL on the thing is perfect for 9/16. I suppose my eyeballs fell in love with that sweet looking rig. It just looks so handy.

That said, the new Dynasord II 9/16 went down in WLL from 1500lbs (Dynasorb I) to about 1300, can't imagine why. The 1/2 is at 1050.

I'm just standing here trying to look nonchalant. 😎

What is it and this Dynasorb, you really seem to love that rope! Must be because it’s handy when your climber is roping out a top and you realize after the fact that you had your foot on the rope! :laugh:

What is it and this Dynasorb, you really seem to love that rope! Must be because it’s handy when your climber is roping out a top and you realize after the fact that you had your foot on the rope! :laugh:

You find something you like and it works and you trust it so you stick with it.

I've beat the #### out of 9/16 Dynasorb and done some stuff I probably shouldn't have done with it :innocent: and it held up like a champ. Just like my 461. I don't have a ton of gear, but I like the gear I have.

I'm also a big fan of the Iron Wizard carabiners.

🥰
car169-500.jpg

I have roped some stuff down on that red 9/16 sherrill sells (forget name, stable or DB?) over the years and no problems ever . So I understand trusting the equipment. Was just looking to bust your chops. Lol. D3F97269-2492-46E4-A060-03116A3CDDE8.jpeg

I have roped some stuff down on that red 9/16 sherrill sells (forget name, stable or DB?) over the years and no problems ever . So I understand trusting the equipment. Was just looking to bust your chops. Lol. View attachment 1026486

Yes, I noticed you were trying to hash my buzz. 😡

Some people...

So unfortunately under heavy use yesterday that problem with my chipper feed system stalling resurfaced.

I’m thinking the feed wheel pressures need be adjusted like the bandit guy suggested this spring when I talked to them. Can’t think of what else it could be.

Gave my mechanic a heads up this morning that we’ll be dropping it off at some point.

Can’t wait to get that thing back to normal! Such an amazing and beautiful machine, hate to see it plagued by such a minor issue!!

Going to be so nice to have all this stuff back up and running properly! Omg

I'm not familiar with the hardware in question, but generally a pulley built for 1/2" rope will be designed around specifications that stay within certain margins so as to not reduce the working load of the rope unnecessarily.

For example: a pulley designed around the minimum sheave size permitted for 1/2" rope will cause a 9/16ths rope to break prematurely. Probably due to the pulley's radius being smaller than the ropes minimum bend radius to keep full strength. Even if the cheek plates aren't rubbing, the ropes safe working load will be reduced on account of being loaded onto pulleys that don't fit.

I'm not familiar with the hardware in question, but generally a pulley built for 1/2" rope will be designed around specifications that stay within certain margins so as to not reduce the working load of the rope unnecessarily.

For example: a pulley designed around the minimum sheave size permitted for 1/2" rope will cause a 9/16ths rope to break prematurely. Probably due to the pulley's radius being smaller than the ropes minimum bend radius to keep full strength. Even if the cheek plates aren't rubbing, the ropes safe working load will be reduced on account of being loaded onto pulleys that don't fit.

I was being hopeful. I know if the rope is too big it may squish a bit around the edges of the wheel in the pulley, but I thought maybe someone smarter than me would say a 14.3mm rope would be fine even if the manufacturer says 13mm tops. As stated, I wouldn't go stuffing a 5/8 through it, but I thought there may be wiggle room for the 9/16.

That Rock Exotica pulley on the ultrasling just looks so cool. And it's nice to have new toys. I'll just throw the totally unsexy pulley I have on a 3/4" Ultrasling. It's stronger and cheaper, but not as much fun.

Look at this thing. Tell me that ain't cool! I swear I'm at half-mast just looking at it. 😃
ScreenShot2022-07-11at1.32.04PM.png

Latest posts

Back