New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's alright, grew up with grandfathers using old timey imperial, takes me a while, but can occasionally visualise trees in feet & inches, miles really mess me around though.

Like anything, depends on how well you look after them, but in my experience the Bandits definitely handle the hardwood abuse better than the Vermeers, which seem to be more preferred for street tree type stuff with a lot of leafy nonsense. Around 2-3000hrs is a pretty well used Bandit, the feed system probably cops most of the thrashing. Try to change or rotate knives around 50hrs. Not many discs around.

Got to go back to national park fireground next week. One tree in particular giving nightmares, maybe 10% max of it's base left, burnt a metre down inside root plate, think we'll rig up some sort of sky anchor for access, spider lift would be useful but could be in the firing line if the tree goes while we're taking off what we need to. An interesting piece of veteran coastal forest architecture, hence doing best to retain some part of tree.

Here's some thirty year old laneway 'saplings' (Eucalyptus grandis) on another harvest job two week ago. First one in photos just under 150 feet, about 45-48 of those 2.5cm increments. Mill wanted logs at 21 feet, bloody owner with his archaic loader insisted on lifting logs over the top of chipper truck & chipper. Damn old loader does some heavy lifting, but make more noise than six chippers.

lg-1-jpg.977982

lg-2-jpg.977983

lg-3-jpg.977984

lg-4-jpg.977985

lg-5-jpg.977986
All I have to say is wow, those trees grow like wildfire. Thanks for answering my questions. Be safe out there.

I'm buying a Grcs tomorrow. Should be a good tool in conjunction with my new spider lift due in around early May.

Do you use the GRCS down under?

All I have to say is wow, those trees grow like wildfire. Thanks for answering my questions. Be safe out there.

I'm buying a Grcs tomorrow. Should be a good tool in conjunction with my new spider lift due in around early May.

Do you use the GRCS down under?
Yes, they sneak up on you the wet forest eucs.

What spider are you getting?

Yes, plenty of GRCS around. Personally been too tight to buy one, on the cards.

Have a custom made heavy duty drum / bollard that allows us to do some funk, takes serious heavy wood abuse, nice & simple, great heat dispersion. As a rock climber, love the dynamic swings & big shock loads we can absorb with this.

t1-jpg.978475

Attachments

• T1.JPG
    8.8 MB · Views: 173
More metal than wood there?

That tree (Honey Locust) was a lot bigger than it looks in those pics and in a terrible spot. The spread was amazing. Started with the bucket, which helped speed things up a bit, but when the rubber hit the road it was time to get into the lift (already set up). The spread and obstacles were more than enough to justify the setup.

A crane would’ve been ideal, but we had it in control by 4:30 or so… after a fairly involved setup, so a win in my book.

I came down a few times to feed wood with mini giant…. that and my sena kept dying at end of day, so had to plug in periodically. Pissed me off.

We got it down to the wood and a bit lower than there in a day (four guys). Some grcs work from the lift Monday, and then she’s getting pulled across the front yard, then log truck thirty.

That tree (Honey Locust) was a lot bigger than it looks in those pics and in a terrible spot. The spread was amazing. Started with the bucket, which helped speed things up a bit, but when the rubber hit the road it was time to get into the lift (already set up). The spread and obstacles were more than enough to justify the setup.

A crane would’ve been ideal, but we had it in control by 4:30 or so… after a fairly involved setup, so a win in my book.

I came down a few times to feed wood with mini giant…. that and my sena kept dying at end of day, so had to plug in periodically. Pissed me off.

We got it down to the wood and a bit lower than there in a day (four guys). Some grcs work from the lift Monday, and then she’s getting pulled across the front yard, then log truck thirty.

Am sure it was, just like stirring the pot. Would a zipline have worked there?

Looks like could lay the pieces pretty much onto tray of chipper with zipline off the mini-Giant, straight in line with that shiny trailer in background? Don't trust the guys to feed chipper with the Giants?

I know I'm still twitchy with newer guys feeding the chipper with the Vermeer.

Yes, they sneak up on you the wet forest eucs.

What spider are you getting?

Yes, plenty of GRCS around. Personally been too tight to buy one, on the cards.

Have a custom made heavy duty drum / bollard that allows us to do some funk, takes serious heavy wood abuse, nice & simple, great heat dispersion. As a rock climber, love the dynamic swings & big shock loads we can absorb with this.

t1-jpg.978475
Ya that lowering devise looks bomber. I picked my Grcs for $800usd under retail. We will be using it tomorrow. I'll take some picks for the Arboristsite!

We decided to with the easylift 87-48aj pretty cool lift and light at 3772 kilos

In USA we can skirt under truck driving laws with an under weight package with a 2500/250 pickuptruck

Where did you get a GRCS that cheap?

I just passed on doing a huge tree preservation and removal bid at Cornell University, which is at least an hour and a half drive. It's for a construction company putting up a new building. Specs call for chainlink fencing and 12" vertical mulching around all the trees, plus regular watering, and weekly site inspections once our work is done though the construction process. The drive makes it challenging for us. Plus the construction company doesn't have the job yet- they need to submit their bid by Thursday. So basically I would bidding for them so they can bid. I think I'd give it a shot if it were closer. Tough call as I can imagine it's over 100k worth of work. I just don't have the time to spend all day there to bid by their deadline.

I submitted another bid like this for a contractor bidding on a Penndot job a few miles from our house. Do you guys usually wait until the GC has the job to bid? I hate passing up on opportunities for prevailing wage work. I'd love to do less residential and more stuff like this.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 10.44.16 PM.png

I just passed on doing a huge tree preservation and removal bid at Cornell University, which is at least an hour and a half drive. It's for a construction company putting up a new building. Specs call for chainlink fencing and 12" vertical mulching around all the trees, plus regular watering, and weekly site inspections once our work is done though the construction process. The drive makes it challenging for us. Plus the construction company doesn't have the job yet- they need to submit their bid by Thursday. So basically I would bidding for them so they can bid. I think I'd give it a shot if it were closer. Tough call as I can imagine it's over 100k worth of work. I just don't have the time to spend all day there to bid by their deadline.

I submitted another bid like this for a contractor bidding on a Penndot job a few miles from our house. Do you guys usually wait until the GC has the job to bid? I hate passing up on opportunities for prevailing wage work. I'd love to do less residential and more stuff like this.

View attachment 978716
It can go both ways. If it's something small a GC can budget 5k or 10k if it's a really large project they need quotes just like a home builder would get a quote from all the trades b4 quoting the home owner. If a construction company is not an expert in trees and lets say you provide a 100k quote after they sold the job but they think it's only 80k and that's what gets budgeted that's a 20k loss on there end.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Ya that lowering devise looks bomber. I picked my Grcs for $800usd under retail. We will be using it tomorrow. I'll take some picks for the Arboristsite!

We decided to with the easylift 87-48aj pretty cool lift and light at 3772 kilos

In USA we can skirt under truck driving laws with an under weight package with a 2500/250 pickuptruck

That looks like a weapon.

Be interested to know how MDS himself thinks this compares to the Omme's?

Good having a competent team who can all climb, fall, operate machinery & work fast on the ground, safely.

Knocking over a full day job in time to start another one.

** Still have to go back to grind stumps when new grinder arrives.

dj-1-jpg.978783

Attachments

• DJ 1.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 147

View attachment 978716
The grcs I purchased was off this site in trading post. It was $800 below retail so I paid $2500.

We used it today for the first time and it was unbelievably efficient. Do I dare say that it almost paid for itself in one day? Probably not but will by the end of this week.

We had one large white pine with around 6-8 smaller pines/ash below. Used the tall pine as our rigging point and the rest was history. The pictures show the tree that was farthest away from our rigging point. The amazing thing was how clean we were able to keep the job site. Not as many broken branches everywhere.

If I knew what this device was capable of I would of owned one much sooner. Once the lift is here it's game over.

If anyone has a tilt deck kicking around they might want to sell, let me know, I'm In Western Massachusetts

Attachments

• 20220404_110144.jpg
    20220404_110144.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220404_110704.jpg
    20220404_110704.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220404_111015.jpg
    20220404_111015.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220404_111222.jpg
    20220404_111222.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220404_111305.jpg
    20220404_111305.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

You can still tow the omme with a pickup and remain under cdl. You just need the flimsy trailer TL sells. I think it’s 14k gvw.

She’s a heavy lift though. Personally, I like more weight and outrigger spread when up/out that far, but that’s just me.

Those easylifts look nice. I’ve heard positive things about them. I just have what I have because I know they work, know how to maintain and operate, etc.. I’m sure there are other good lifts out there. I’m just too old to experiment at this point.

Grcs and lift is a nice combo. Next level baby! :cool:

The grcs I purchased was off this site in trading post. It was $800 below retail so I paid $2500.

We used it today for the first time and it was unbelievably efficient. Do I dare say that it almost paid for itself in one day? Probably not but will by the end of this week.

We had one large white pine with around 6-8 smaller pines/ash below. Used the tall pine as our rigging point and the rest was history. The pictures show the tree that was farthest away from our rigging point. The amazing thing was how clean we were able to keep the job site. Not as many broken branches everywhere.

If I knew what this device was capable of I would of owned one much sooner. Once the lift is here it's game over.

If anyone has a tilt deck kicking around they might want to sell, let me know, I'm In Western Massachusetts
Looks great!

You guys are making me itch to join the tracked lift bandwagon

MDS how is your new guy turning out? Speaking of staffing issues, one of my guys was throwing brush over a bank and somehow torqued his shoulder bad. It appears he's torn his rotator cuff. First work comp claim in a long time. Thankful to have insurance.

Latest posts

Back