New thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would only be true if you figure pickin' on the newbies is fun. If so, then yes.

You know I have no problem with you and I think we’ve always got along for the most part, right? So please don’t take this as complaining about site moderation or whatever, but that kid is no innocent victim, he’s an annoying button pusher and he’s getting good at it intentionally. Really is like a junior AA. It’s really not that big a deal to me, but I am just saying. He brought it upon himself.

because everyone that started a business started with big shiny toys with all the credit they ever wanted, no second hand equipment or anything that needed repairs, right?
no. most on here started with less than stellar equipment, worked hard, kept their mouth shut and ears open, showed respect for experience, and didn't talk crap every chance they could trying to act tough.

I was just thinking how funny it really is that he spent probably more than the rest of his equipment is worth put together on the Italian “potty lift” after all that. Lol
and most importantly, made the purchase after condemning others investments in up to date iron. doubtful the entire rest of his entourage is worth what he spent for the lift. not that it matters to me. i got out of the stone age 20 years ago.

Well... You know I gotta be neutral.
Just ignore those folks who might be pushing your buttons. Keep in mind that they might be pushing your buttons just to get that satisfying rush of attention when you blow up. By not responding the way they are seeking, you are then pushing their buttons.

As an aside, you probably don't know how much you are pushing my buttons with all those pictures of pretty trucks. I am deeply envious of your nice toy collection.

But if I do respond and really piss them off I am winning. Lol. :laugh:

I’m only kidding man. 10-4.

My new Omme has been down since April 27th. They did come out right away and try to fix it, then came back with another part, that didn’t work. They finally managed to fold it up and haul it away probably a little better than three weeks ago. The big aluminum hyd block, or “manifold” has something faulty inside it I guess (only happened once before to they guy from Denmark’s knowledge and that was on a PB). They’ve been waiting on a new one all this time. Apparently they outsource them from another company, and you guessed it, supply chain issues. I’d hate to see what that would’ve cost me if not under warranty for another five or six months!! You would think they could front me a payment, but the guy says that’s “unfortunately not the way it works”. I know I’m really too easy on people in these sorts of situations, but let’s face it, I need them more than they need me.
So your f#cakes if that’s your only lift

My new Omme has been down since April 27th. They did come out right away and try to fix it, then came back with another part, that didn’t work. They finally managed to fold it up and haul it away probably a little better than three weeks ago. The big aluminum hyd block, or “manifold” has something faulty inside it I guess (only happened once before to they guy from Denmark’s knowledge and that was on a PB). They’ve been waiting on a new one all this time. Apparently they outsource them from another company, and you guessed it, supply chain issues. I’d hate to see what that would’ve cost me if not under warranty for another five or six months!! You would think they could front me a payment, but the guy says that’s “unfortunately not the way it works”. I know I’m really too easy on people in these sorts of situations, but let’s face it, I need them more than they need me.
That's insane. Omme should take one out of a production model and have it installed in your unit. I doubt that manifold is keeping Omme from delivering brand new orders. Wtf. You have to stay on top of these A-Hole companies and there salesman! The squeaky wheel gets the greese! That's what I have learned!

used chipdrop for the first time today, I like it when there is one on the way home from a job
we got about 15 trees down today, nothing huge, but still quite a bit for 2 guys
clogged the chipper like 4 times by lunch, found out it really doesnt like loads of leaves, gotta feed it wood, or chase the leaves with logs before shutting it dowu

Sorry to hear that as well.

One of the questions on the oral part of my CT arborist test was “when is it safe to climb a dead tree”? Of course being a dumb ass tree guy I was like “well, I’ve seen elms that have been standing dead forever still have good hinge wood, blah, blah, blah”. At the end of the test the guy was like “btw, the correct answer is it’s never safe to climb a dead tree”. I felt kind of stupid, but he alluded to the fact that I passed so I didn’t care. I’ll never forget that one again though.

I get that as a blanket answer to a test question but we all know that every tree is different. I can't even guess how many dead trees I've climbed in my career. Most experienced climbers have a pretty good idea of what we're expecting. An ash or elm that is a couple of years into being infected....I'm probably not too worried about if it looks structurally solid. Especially ash. In my area, it seems like about year 4 is when bark starts curling and falling off and they are still really solid. You're going to have some dry hinges but nothing is probably going to break out from under you or do anything unexpected. I think it's a good idea that different areas of the country have different certification tests. I know some things about palm trees but I am in no way nearly as qualified to discuss them as I am midwestern trees.

I think you would get to like me, in person
I dont get along on the internet, but in person im half decent

I think you are doing fine. Just keep in mind, that if you are here to make friends, that you need to be that same likeable person you are in person. If you are using the internet as the dumping ground for your problems and frustrations, then you shouldn't be surprised when the internet dumps back at you.

Also, you may have noticed there is a tendency for some folks here to verbally knock down on any newcomer. It can be kind of like a "good old boys" network, to which one must earn admission. Just ignore those that talk smack to you, and talk well to those that don't. Before long, your comments will be accepted and respected. It wouldn't hurt to remember how young you are, and how little knowledge & training you actually have in the trade. Even if you have been working full time as a tree worker since you were 10 years old, that's still pretty much a newbie in the field.

Remember: It's the internet! You cannot hope to win every squabble, and there are folks that occasionally come to this forum for no other reason than to work out their aggressions on someone other than their family.

Had a short, powerful storm blow through last weekend. Wrecked this elm tree. Got a new to me tool box too. I’ve always tried to repair everything in house and it’s even more imperative now with equipment costs these days and how backed up most repair businesses are due to labor shortages and parts supply issues.View attachment 991848View attachment 991849

Nice toolbox.

What about the contents?

Have a absolute hate for cheap & nasty hand tools (admittedly occasionally get one that is bombproof piece of usefulness). One thing have found endlessly useful in recent times are the Bigdog adjustable plumbers spanner. Come in variety of sizes, but the wide opening jaws, square jaws edges & flat head make them good for tight positions, great for dealing with damn recalcitrant hydraulic fitting, of which we all know about. Have about four in each vehicle now.

new decals and crappy rattle can paint fixes on the bucket truck, got more to fix but need more paint first, 4 cans barely fixed the major issues on the box
edit: I also put a pintle hitch on the front bumper to push the chipper into tight spots, steering lock in this truck is half what it needs to be to back up the chipper
View attachment 991833
View attachment 991834

So we've got 'Moonshine', what are we going to call that big orange Mad Max contraption?

The Orange Peril?

Fury Road?

A drawbar extension is very useful for backing chippers with bigger vehicles. Rarely take the chipper off & back it in with a prime mover size truck to some pretty tight spots. Did tried the side marker thing (leaf rakes on reverse bar) but found it almost more distracting & rakes frequently threatened to get broken, so just got better at reversing 'blind'.

Machine downtime is the bane, but new, expensive machinery is even more frustrating.

Had similar frustrations when first Vermeer compact track was spewing hydraulic oil from the main tank hose that required the engine to be lifted to access the fitting every time the poxy hose clamps broke. Reckon it was costing $200 a day keeping hydraulic oil up to it, along with a daily oil bath trying to fit new clamp each time. Fixed on warranty, but doesn't cover all the other costs.

Hoping the new stumpy will be smooth sailing coin turner.

Back