New to chainsaws, just bought a Husky 435 and a Stihl MS280!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anymanusa

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I've been a homeowner for almost 2 years and thought it was time to get a chainsaw. I have access to a lot of wood, and I like burning it too, so I wanted something of quality, and couldn't stand the looks or feel of the cheapo Poulan crap that I saw at the box stores, but I didn't want to get something too big, so I bought a 'made in Sweden' 435 Husky from Lowes. I was quickly dissappointed in the power/cutting of it, and realized I should have bought a little bit bigger saw. I borrowed my buddies MS270 and totally loved it, so I figured I'd keep the 435 as a limbing saw, and get a bigger Stihl for bucking. I was pretty set on buying a Stihl, and after much research, and not being able to obtain an MS261C Q, I decided on an MS280. Here they are together:

2010-11-21_08-15-55_170.jpg

2010-11-21_08-16-09_725.jpg

2010-11-21_08-16-25_725.jpg

They both have .325 chains, and the Stihl is an anti-kickback (green) chain, and I think the Husky is an antikickback design as well, but I'm not sure.

After I get them run in, I'm going to do muffler mods for both.

Comments appreciated. FWIW, I paid $270 for the Husky with a box type carrying case included, and I paid $495 for the Stihl with a nice case too. I feel like I did pretty good on the MS saw.

I also have a very healthy fear/respect of these things, so I bought Stihl 9 layer protective chaps, good knee pads/shin guards, forrestry helmet, a big thick off-hand cut resistant glove, and I'm looking for some shoulder/torso protection now. Also wear metatarsal steel shanked steel toed boots when I'm out cutting. I don't think you can be too safe with these things, and everybody that I've ever talked to who owns a chainsaw has some story/scar of their stupidity when using one at one time or another.

Last edited:
Here is some pics of the woodlot that I have access to. It's a lot where the developer stacked all of the trees that they cleared for the new subdivision that I purchased a house in. He didn't have any plans for the wood other than "maybe burning it", so I'm taking advantage of that situation to stock up before I install a wood burning stove.

2010-11-17_11-42-05_294.jpg

2010-11-17_11-41-40_237.jpg

2010-11-17_11-41-27_666.jpg

2010-11-17_11-40-52_625.jpg

2010-11-16_12-05-18_468.jpg

2010-11-17_12-27-39_163.jpg

Last edited:
link me up and I'll do it right now!

If you were close, I would give you one for free just to see the difference. You should see the look on people's faces when they buy a saw from me and i put a "non-safety" chain on for them, they never new a saw could cut like that. Probably makes it more extreme because they've been cutting with the same chain on a Wild Thing for the last 10 years without sharpening. Nice purchases by the way, guess you won't be able to take sides in the Husky vs. Stihl arguments, at least until you find out that Stihl is better. He, he, he!!!

If you were close, I would give you one for free just to see the difference. You should see the look on people's faces when they buy a saw from me and i put a "non-safety" chain on for them, they never new a saw could cut like that. Probably makes it more extreme because they've been cutting with the same chain on a Wild Thing for the last 10 years without sharpening. Nice purchases by the way, guess you won't be able to take sides in the Husky vs. Stihl arguments, at least until you find out that Stihl is better. He, he, he!!!

I'm a mechanical type guy, and It'd suit me to have all the fine machines. I like collecting quality stuff. My first two had to be a Husky and a Stihl though.

Here is a pic of some trees in my back yard that are posing a problem for my neighbor. The one on the corner of the fence, or the two growing from the same spot is a tree he'd like to have pushed down with a dozer. He's worried about it falling on his house. Can anyone give me input on what of these trees needs to be fell? He claims most of them in the frontline are dead and should be cut.

2010-11-21_07-36-30_584.jpg

I was going to climb the tree in the corner and start cutting it from the top down and rig it to my truck to control the fall. JUST KIDDING!

anymanusa, As to the 435 low on power, I recently purchased a 445 and it was the same. Low on power, however once I enriched it up this made a good deal of difference.From the factory they are set very lean.The 445 used to bog down slightly when you hit the throttle but after a minor adjustment and a good chain this thing now cuts much better than I would have anticipated. Ken

anymanusa, As to the 435 low on power, I recently purchased a 445 and it was the same. Low on power, however once I enriched it up this made a good deal of difference.From the factory they are set very lean.The 445 used to bog down slightly when you hit the throttle but after a minor adjustment and a good chain this thing now cuts much better than I would have anticipated. Ken

Well I just ordered the tool from ebay last night, and planned on tuning after the mm. I had to adjust the T screw also, as the saw would die at idle occasionally, so I will work on it a little and report back.

435 41cc

I have one, had to buy a spline carburetor tool for turning up fuel mix
like Ken said. The H30 on mine cuts good when sharp.
I don't know anything about 280, but 290 is supposed to be a sound, but
not pro saw.

The 435 really loves a muffler mod, good chain and getting broke in and as stated most really need adjusted, does'nt seem like the same saw after the above was done.

435 mm

I would not waste your time with a mm on the 435.It is nothing but a hollow box.I had the same idea for my 445 but low and behold, it is basically hollow shell, with the x-torque engine running like it is (environmentally friendly) their is no need for a catalytic converter.Ken

I would not waste your time with a mm on the 435.It is nothing but a hollow box.I had the same idea for my 445 but low and behold, it is basically hollow shell, with the x-torque engine running like it is (environmentally friendly) their is no need for a catalytic converter.Ken

I thought the whole idea was to give a larger exhaust port though.

If you wish to void your warranty you can start drilling but I would read some threads on mm in the search section.I would simply enricen it and let it get broke in before performing surgery on it.This is not a saw made for heavy use, Ken

got cock blocked...

leave the saws alone until the warranty is up, thats why you need a used saw do what ever you please with it.
also just over a year ago i had 13 saws and counting theres a few guy's around here that broke 100 and theres one that i think he's almost to 1,000 saws.

be careful in the lots of wood that had been dozed into a pile, i had a friend brake his leg in four spots and almost lose it
when a log rolled...

now i'm getting the cold shakes i think i'm going into withdraw from chainsaws....

Last edited:
looks like you already got the easy stuff out of the way...now its time to get some education and safety gear - limbing is the most dangerous part for a homeowner - be careful:rock:

looks like you already got the easy stuff out of the way...now its time to get some education and safety gear - limbing is the most dangerous part for a homeowner - be careful:rock:

I guess you didn't read the first post. I've got all the safety gear I can get except for chain mail for my torso. thanks for the good wishes though.

Back