new to chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're going to just have one saw get the biggest one you can afford and operate safely.
I hear people complain all the time about a saw that's to small,rare to here a complaint about a saw that's big and powerful.

A big saw can run any length bar.

Go buy a new ECHO 490 with 2 spare chains, proper file, chaps, and learn how to file.

Wear all your PPE and pay attention.

My cousin @hseII is spot on with his above posts.

If you want to step up to 60cc territory, the Echo 590 is a great option, as is the Shindaiwa equivalent, for around $400.

I'm with these guys ^^^^^^

Buying a used saw is a pig & a poke in my experience when buying on Craigslist.

Either buy a new saw, or plan to spend money on the Craigslist saw.

Sure, there are people who are in the business of repairing used saws and selling them on Craigslist, even 2 reputable members on this site near me.

Not being around you, I don't know who sells decent used saws in your area: do you?

I found a never used 460 Rancher, being sold for 350. For even money, would you still suggest the 490?

I've got no experience with a Husky 460, but I assume it's much like an MS290: used by many, Loved by Few.

It would probably be the 1st saw you sell if you get much deeper into using chainsaws.

I've got no experience with a Husky 460, but I assume it's much like an MS290: used by many, Loved by Few.

It would probably be the 1st saw you sell if you get much deeper into using chainsaws.

Yep, I looked at reviews on here and decided it would be a poor decision. On the other hand there is a Jonsered 2165 for sale by one of the members here. I'm currently researching it.

I found a never used 460 Rancher, being sold for 350. For even money, would you still suggest the 490?
Not a bad deal, but why pay even money for an overweight "clamshell" design, when you can buy a new, magnesium cased Pro Grade saw? Also, is the 460 from a private party, or a dealership? Warranty, tax, accessories? The 490 can be found for $300 pre tax.

Not a bad deal, but why pay even money for an overweight "clamshell" design, when you can buy a new, magnesium cased Pro Grade saw? Also, is the 460 from a private party, or a dealership? Warranty, tax, accessories? The 490 can be found for $300 pre tax.

The 460 is private party with no warranty. I'm passing on it. I will have to save a bit for the 490. Can anyone comment on whether a Jonsered 2165 (reputable seller) or Echo 490 would be a better purchase?

The 460 is private party with no warranty. I'm passing on it. I will have to save a bit for the 490. Can anyone comment on whether a Jonsered 2165 (reputable seller) or Echo 490 would be a better purchase?

Well, the 2165 is also a Pro Grade saw, and it will pull a 24" without a problem(it's rated to pull up to a 28"), 13 lbs dry weight for the powerhead, and would make an excellent "one saw" plan, though there isn't much fun in just one saw……..LOL!

Well, the 2165 is also a Pro Grade saw, and it will pull a 24" without a problem(it's rated to pull up to a 28"), 13 lbs dry weight for the powerhead, and would make an excellent "one saw" plan, though there isn't much fun in just one saw……..LOL!

Thanks very much for your response! I doubt I'd use the 2165 for everything. I'll certainly need a limb saw and a backup. I wonder if my wife will understand..

If you are on a budget and want a single "do it all saw" there are very few options new out there. I would recomend the stronger 40cc up to 60cc saws. The only ones that come to my mind are the

Poulan Pro 5020 ~200$
Echo 490 ~300$
Echo 590 ~400$
Dolmar 421 ~350$

For the money there is NOTHING out there from the other brands that even come close quality wise! All are quality built that require correct carb settings BEFORE the first use! But other than a GOOD chain they are good to go and will perform your required tasks easily for at least a decade without much thought! After that you might have to repalce fuel lines or other maintanence, but nothing more severe should evolve.
Quality full synthetic two stroke oil with the norms API TC/TD, ISO-L-EDG, or similar are good indications of a product that won't cause any problems. Brand name is totally irrelevant. DON'T mix gallons of fuel to let it rest in the garage for years! Problems are guarenteed! I have gas at hand and rotate very fast so that "old mix" is never a problem. I usually mix for garden work only ~ a pint at once. Usually enough for ~3/4 - 1 hour sawing time (= actual time your saw is running full throttle) on a 40-50cc type saw! You can cut A LOT of wood in this time.

Used saws can be a major problem! Often broken saws are repaired as cheaply as possible with after market pieces and the original problem WHY the saw died is never corrected. So you overpaid for a saw with the assumption of all original and overpaid for a incorrectly reapaired product where the next death may be around the corner.

@CptMoonlight maybe remind her that you aren't spending the money on booze, broads, or blow?…………

Jon this is a funny, but very true statement.... I know my better half may not like me going out to get firewood all the time, and of course splitting and stacking it at home.... But as you said she knows what I am doing and we don't pay for heat or hot water in the winter..... It's easy to forget how nice 72 degrees is in the winter when it's 80-90 degrees outside now!!!!

All those mentioned here are good options. All I can suggest is if you do buy new, buy from a dealer. A good dealer is worth his weight in gold especially if you don't work on your own o p e. If you do buy used look at what brand dealers are close by in your area and try and stick to those brands as parts availability is important.

Everyone here will tell you there is no true one saw plan. Depending on how long you plan on cutting a big saw will get heavy if you do a lot of limbing and a little saw will leave you wanting when bucking rounds. I say get you a good 55-65cc saw and that will do you if all your doing is cutting up a single tree up to 24". If you are clearing fencerow or hedges then a 40-50 cc saw would be ideal because of the lighter weight.

Being your first saw purchase, I highly recommend buy new, and get some safety gear, especially if you are uncomfortable or scared while using it.

All those mentioned here are good options. All I can suggest is if you do buy new, buy from a dealer. A good dealer is worth his weight in gold especially if you don't work on your own o p e. If you do buy used look at what brand dealers are close by in your area and try and stick to those brands as parts availability is important.

Everyone here will tell you there is no true one saw plan. Depending on how long you plan on cutting a big saw will get heavy if you do a lot of limbing and a little saw will leave you wanting when bucking rounds. I say get you a good 55-65cc saw and that will do you if all your doing is cutting up a single tree up to 24". If you are clearing fencerow or hedges then a 40-50 cc saw would be ideal because of the lighter weight.

Being your first saw purchase, I highly recommend buy new, and get some safety gear, especially if you are uncomfortable or scared while using it.

I doubt I will be uncomfortable or scared. I'm just cautious. I generally look at what one person can do and say, well if he can do it...It's gotten me into some pickles in the past. I'm trying to be wise, but with that last statement, heck, I may go buy some 100cc+ saw. I feel like I'm being called out! :muscle:

Back