new to chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buying a used saw is a pig & a poke in my experience when buying on Craigslist.

Either buy a new saw, or plan to spend money on the Craigslist saw.

Sure, there are people who are in the business of repairing used saws and selling them on Craigslist, even 2 reputable members on this site near me.

Not being around you, I don't know who sells decent used saws in your area: do you?

You say you are around Tulsa.
Might trying looking at Re Tool, think their are two one in Broken Arrow. I think John Yost or Rost was the main horses mouth at the 61st street one in Tulsa. Also compare prices of an equivalent saw on ebay, look on Craigslist. I've seen NEW saws on Craigslist at a reduced price. Buying a used chainsaw is like buying a pig in a poke and takes a feel and smell from someone who knows what to smell and look for.

hsell gives some good info about used saws. I'm like Stihl and have a 028AV that is over 35 years old and still runs like the energizer Bunny. Names to research when you see a model is Stihl, Echo, Huskvarna,
Kinda sounds like you need about 18-20 inch bar although I've run a 16 inch bar for several years.
You will eventually want two saws, maybe a lighter saw for trimming limbs when the tree is down for less weight for the smaller stuff and to cut out your pinched saw hanging in a tree, (this will happen to you and if you don't have wedges and a hammer or another saw you are SOL and embarrassed when you tell wife or neighbor you need help) couple of Stihl plastic wedges, sledge hammer, learn to manually hand file your own chains, stay away from the low kickback chains if you want to do real work, (they are for pansies and Nancy's) Get yourself a new spare aggressive cut chain for when you hit a rock and don't know just yet how to sharpen the dull chain.
I've seen guys that brag and run Huskvarna's but they usually buy them new.
If you eventually know what size saw you actually want from feel and looking you are better off buying new from a reputable dealer (like a Stihl dealer for example) Huskys are sold at Lowes, etc, by panisies and Nancys that are just salesmen/sales/women and most don't know a chainsaw from a table saw except by name when they look on a computer picture.
Get yourself a hard hat and be careful around widow makers, (dead trees)I know few real good Sawyers that are horzontial, pushing up daisies due to falling limbs while cutting on a dead tree or the tree was falling and hit another tree and falling flying big limbs got them on the head. I wear the chainsaw saw chaps also and steel toed boots.
Don't expect any kind of warranty when buying a used saw and expect to pay at least another $100 to get out a bug or two.
Buy new if you want a warranty and want to go to work immediately buy new and file your receipt and register your saw. don't just throw the receipt and warranty card in the back of your wood truck like most people do now days and then whine/cry/moan:cry: when they cannot get warranty service.:chop:

Their are several chainsaw brands you do not want to buy as a good wood saw.
You might want to ask what not to buy. I will say do not go to Sears,. (unless you want some practice trying to repair a saw)

You say you are around Tulsa.
Might trying looking at Re Tool, think their are two one in Broken Arrow. I think John Yost or Rost was the main horses mouth at the 61st street one in Tulsa. Also compare prices of an equivalent saw on ebay, look on Craigslist. I've seen NEW saws on Craigslist at a reduced price. Buying a used chainsaw is like buying a pig in a poke and takes a feel and smell from someone who knows what to smell and look for.

hsell gives some good info about used saws. I'm like Stihl and have a 028AV that is over 35 years old and still runs like the energizer Bunny. Names to research when you see a model is Stihl, Echo, Huskvarna,
Kinda sounds like you need about 18-20 inch bar although I've run a 16 inch bar for several years.
You will eventually want two saws, maybe a lighter saw for trimming limbs when the tree is down for less weight for the smaller stuff and to cut out your pinched saw hanging in a tree, (this will happen to you and if you don't have wedges and a hammer or another saw you are SOL and embarrassed when you tell wife or neighbor you need help) couple of Stihl plastic wedges, sledge hammer, learn to manually hand file your own chains, stay away from the low kickback chains if you want to do real work, (they are for pansies and Nancy's) Get yourself a new spare aggressive cut chain for when you hit a rock and don't know just yet how to sharpen the dull chain.
I've seen guys that brag and run Huskvarna's but they usually buy them new.
If you eventually know what size saw you actually want from feel and looking you are better off buying new from a reputable dealer (like a Stihl dealer for example) Huskys are sold at Lowes, etc, by panisies and Nancys that are just salesmen/sales/women and most don't know a chainsaw from a table saw except by name when they look on a computer picture.
Get yourself a hard hat and be careful around widow makers, (dead trees)I know few real good Sawyers that are horzontial, pushing up daisies due to falling limbs while cutting on a dead tree or the tree was falling and hit another tree and falling flying big limbs got them on the head. I wear the chainsaw saw chaps also and steel toed boots.
Don't expect any kind of warranty when buying a used saw and expect to pay at least another $100 to get out a bug or two.
Buy new if you want a warranty and want to go to work immediately buy new and file your receipt and register your saw. don't just throw the receipt and warranty card in the back of your wood truck like most people do now days and then whine/cry/moan:cry: when they cannot get warranty service.:chop:

Their are several chainsaw brands you do not want to buy as a good wood saw.
You might want to ask what not to buy. I will say do not go to Sears,. (unless you want some practice trying to repair a saw)

I very much appreciate your input! I will take all the advice I can get. I've never cut a dead tree, so thank you very much for the heads up. While my soul is ready, I'd like to stick around awhile for my wife and daughter! I will most certainly find a hard hat with a mask, some chaps and gloves. I've already got steel toe boots, so I'm covered there. One of my buddies cuts a lot of wood and has graciously offered to let me cut a bunch of his wood so I can learn more about my saw.

I very much appreciate your input! I will take all the advice I can get. I've never cut a dead tree, so thank you very much for the heads up. While my soul is ready, I'd like to stick around awhile for my wife and daughter! I will most certainly find a hard hat with a mask, some chaps and gloves. I've already got steel toe boots, so I'm covered there. One of my buddies cuts a lot of wood and has graciously offered to let me cut a bunch of his wood so I can learn more about my saw.

PM me your address, and I'll send you the helmet/face shield/ hearing protection, for the cost of shipping.

I bought a few extras in a group buy, so I don't have much skin in the game. Plus it'll free up some cash for you to buy some decent chaps........deal?

I just happened to be going thru Tulsa today and dropped in at the 61st street, Broken Arrow, Re-Tool store that I mentioned above and was looking around like Tim the Tool man Taylor would at different things and when I went by the chainsaw section their sat a Stihl MS 271 that plastic on the saw looked new with 20inch bar and plastic chain guard in a pile of poulans/craftsmans.
Looked at tag and said 179.99. I pulled the rope, real good compression, looked in tank, 1/2 full of gas and 1/2 full of bar oil.
I asked John Rost if it would be ok to start the saw, he said sure step outside though.
Choke and pop first pull, removed choke and it started next pull, idled and piss rev'ed good, muffler looked new. Chain looked like it had hit a rock.
I paid the guy and went on my way.

Blind sow stumbled onto a acorn.

I just happened to be going thru Tulsa today and dropped in at the 61st street, Broken Arrow, Re-Tool store that I mentioned above and was looking around like Tim the Tool man Taylor would at different things and when I went by the chainsaw section their sat a Stihl MS 271 that plastic on the saw looked new with 20inch bar and plastic chain guard in a pile of poulans/craftsmans.
Looked at tag and said 179.99. I pulled the rope, real good compression, looked in tank, 1/2 full of gas and 1/2 full of bar oil.
I asked John Rost if it would be ok to start the saw, he said sure step outside though.
Choke and pop first pull, removed choke and it started next pull, idled and piss rev'ed good, muffler looked new. Chain looked like it had hit a rock.
I paid the guy and went on my way.

Blind sow stumbled onto a acorn.

NICE!

One of my buddies cuts a lot of wood and has graciously offered to let me cut a bunch of his wood so I can learn more about my saw.

There's the mark of a true friend, letting you practice your chainsawing on his wood. Ask if you can split it and stack it for him too; if he says yes, he's a lifelong bestie.

There's the mark of a true friend, letting you practice your chainsawing on his wood. Ask if you can split it and stack it for him too; if he says yes, he's a lifelong bestie.

I would consider letting him also practice with HIS wood splitter, splitting my wood, but tell him to clean up the limbs and stack them in a neat brush pile so he can burn them and clean the area of other loose debris.
Might even consider let him use my woodsplitter to PRACTICE splitting the wood for me so as he can get familiar with the splitter operation, so as he will kinda know which new splitter he might want to buy later and get familiar with his NEW chainsaw ONLY if he furnishes his own gas for the splitter and agrees in writing to pay for any broken or damaged wood splitter parts and repair and signs a release that I'm not liable for any injuries and stacks MY wood that he has split in a neat and workman like manner AS A true FRIEND should.:chop:

I have a splitting maul and a cutting axe that I've used in the past. I'm ready to move into the modern age, but there won't be any question, I'll be offering to assist him splitting and stacking.

Latest posts

Back