New to me saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stlshrk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, I added another saw to the home team lineup. Husqvarna 346xp. Searching for it wouldn't be the word I'd choose, but I normally look in the used gear racks during my visits to a variety of saw shops. This was the most decent used (of this model) that I've found in the last year. That is, that also wasn't imho overpriced. Most of the one I've found have been in rougher shape were asking over $400 used. I picked her up for $325. I know that isn't a deal in some places, but around here I'm happy with it. My firewood cutting consists of mixed hardwoods avg 16-20 inch trees and the rare 25+ inch tree. I normally burn between 5-6 cords a year. So, now the 3 saw lineup includes Stihl MS361 for my 60cc saw, Echo cs400 for my 40cc saw, and now the new addition will fill the 50 cc slot. The 346xp is dresssed in a 20 inch .325 bar and new stihl chain. I know lots of guys tout the 20cc gap between their saws rule, but it would be very rare for me to have need (actually want) of an 80cc saw. View attachment 279475

I don't know about prices but I do know that you now have have one of the best saws ever made so that says it all. As long as your happy that's all that matters. At least without a doubt the tree you choose will be cut into firewood for your family!! Nice collection!!

congrats on the find.
get that 346xp ported and you will have the best firewood saw there is.

That's a sweet 3-saw plan you've got going there. I've never run a 361, but my buddy let me use his 362 and that thing was a log shredding machine! Likewise with the 346xp that another friend let me use. Never ran a cs400 though. I heard in the right hands though they can scream as well :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice pick up. I think that's a pretty good price for that as long as it's in prime running condition.

You got rep!

Good choice! For the wood size you cut, that's really the only saw you need! Light and powerful!

I cut that same size wood most of the time and ended up selling my 361 because i liked the lighter weight vs. the powerloss for that size wood, which is negligible. I hardly used the stihl anymore. Of course I did have the 7900 for my big saw... you need that one next:smile2:

P.S. You might find the 20 inch bar is a bit too big for that saw in hardwood. Maybe not though as I've only ran 18" on mine and its fine.

Last edited:
Good choice! For the wood size you cut, that's really the only saw you need! Light and powerful!

I cut that same size wood most of the time and ended up selling my 361 because i liked the lighter weight vs. the powerloss for that size wood, which is negligible. I hardly used the stihl anymore. Of course I did have the 7900 for my big saw... you need that one next:smile2:

P.S. You might find the 20 inch bar is a bit too big for that saw in hardwood. Maybe not though as I've only ran 18" on mine and its fine.

I was wondering that as well, about the 20inch bar. But, even though it isn't as strong as the 361, it is pulling the .325 vs the 3/8. Only time will tell.

I can't see myself selling the 361 though. Not just because it is a rock star, but it was a present from the wife and bought new. If I end up liking the 346 as much as that, then it is a win!

:rock:

Okay, so I've had a chance to run the new to me 346xp through its paces a little this afternoon.
...And it was like falling in love all over again. And no, it won't replace or make me sell the ms361, but DADDY LIKE! It is another chip making machine, for sure.

I think, at least for now, I'm going to stick with the 20" bar. It is in pretty good shape and I have a couple of chains for it. It didn't have much issue with what I was doing tonight. Sharp chain=happy cutting!

Okay, so I've had a chance to run the new to me 346xp through its paces a little this afternoon.
...And it was like falling in love all over again. And no, it won't replace or make me sell the ms361, but DADDY LIKE! It is another chip making machine, for sure.

I think, at least for now, I'm going to stick with the 20" bar. It is in pretty good shape and I have a couple of chains for it. It didn't have much issue with what I was doing tonight. Sharp chain=happy cutting!

Ha! I bet! big fun!

Of course now you know you want an 80...tell ya whut, keep an eye open local for an echo cs8000. Seriously underrated, you can get them a lot cheaper than a husky or stihl and they can run and oil a 36 inch bar no probs.

And its weird, I read it here and it is cosmic truthiness...get a big saw and big bar, the trees show up.....

cosmic truthness. I'll have to adopt that. I like the way you think.:clap:

He's right, too. If you got the tools and the knack to drop the biggies, (safely) and manage the product without tearing up the land, Big Trees + Troubled Landowner + Well equipped woodsman = Chainsaw owner (minus) heat bill.

Quite true. I had my 28" bar for the 365 for a week and a 50" downed oak showed up:clap:

Now I just need the transport tools and splitter and I'll be more in business.

Last edited:

And I don't think I've ever even seen a Dolmar Dealer in Central VA. I've heard good things, but don't think I'd want something I couldn't get service / parts for if needed.

Not bad. I picked up a 346xp off fleebay for $315 shipped. The ad stated it came with an 18" bar and sharp chain. But he shipped it with a 16" bar and dull chain. He made good and sent me a brand new 18" bar and .050 3/8" chain. It runs great. I ran it for less than a minute and tore it down. Its getting a port job as soon as my dolmar 5105 is finished up. I already have a 359Xp carb waiting!

Latest posts

Back