New to the tree side of the biz

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamgtree&lawn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is James, and I'm from kansas city. I have done a few small tree jobs, removals, stump grinding, etc. I'm just curious on how I would go about advertising trees, I'm already established in the landscape side and would like to branch out into the tree side. I'm currently a senior in highschool and plan on attending k-state university for a b.s in horticulture and to become a certified arborist.
If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks,
James:)

i'd wait if I were you.

stick with the small jobs and get some more experience under your belt.maybe taking some classes or try and get a gig with an established tree company for a while.

one screw up can really damage your health,reputation,and ego.

do the right thing and get a job working for someone else if you want to learn.

18? in high school and an established landscaper? insured (liability, WC and health insurance?), licensed, own all your own equipment?

Honestly little boy, all you would do is steal work from a real tree company until you #### up a job or yourself.

this ain't no picnic snowflake.:chainsawguy:

stick with the small jobs and get some more experience under your belt.maybe taking some classes or try and get a gig with an established tree company for a while.

one screw up can really damage your health,reputation,and ego.

Yea,
I've just had the small removals, and a few trim jobs. Keep in mind the limbs i cut i have to load into the back of my truck until i get a chipper(veermer 1250a). I have been thinking about an internship with a local company called vanbooven tree, www.vanbooventree.com. So now I'm just trying to get the proper equipment like chap helmets(with built in ear protection).

18? in high school and an established landscaper? insured (liability, WC and health insurance?), licensed, own all your own equipment?

Honestly little boy, all you would do is steal work from a real tree company until you #### up a job or yourself.

SNOWFLAKE

that killed me... Telling it like it is TS well done.

Hello,
My name is James, and I'm from kansas city. I have done a few small tree jobs, removals, stump grinding, etc. I'm just curious on how I would go about advertising trees, I'm already established in the landscape side and would like to branch out into the tree side. I'm currently a senior in highschool and plan on attending k-state university for a b.s in horticulture and to become a certified arborist.
If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks,
James:)

Welcome to fightclub James. Don't mind Treeslayer he really has your best interest at heart.

I think you are doing the right thing by getting both a college education in Horticulture and some hands on experience with a local company.

This industry kills people with alarming regularity. Start small, stay low and listen to the old guys with grey hair. At least you know they were smart enough to live.

Treeslayer,
1. I never bite off more than i can chew, if a job is to big for me to handle than I'll pass it on to a bigger company. It's always better to be safe than sorry !

2. I've been doing lawn care for quite some time and know the in's and out's of the biz.

3. Yes my company is fully insured.

4. all of my equipment was paid for by ME !!!!!!

5. since I have not added any employees i don't need workman's comp yet.

6. I have never lowballed and would never in a million years try to steal a job from another guy.
I hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks,
James

Welcome to fightclub James. Don't mind Treeslayer he really has your best interest at heart.

I think you are doing the right thing by getting both a college education in Horticulture and some hands on experience with a local company.

This industry kills people with alarming regularity. Start small, stay low and listen to the old guys with grey hair. At least you know they were smart enough to live.

Thanks outofmytree,
I've been paying very close attention to saftey, it has been my 1st priority when I'm doing a job. I have heard alot of the horror stories along with that to. I've also had the chance to talk with a couple guys that are pro's in kansas.

Thanks outofmytree,
I've been paying very close attention to saftey, it has been my 1st priority when I'm doing a job. I have heard alot of the horror stories along with that to. I've also had the chance to talk with a couple guys that are pro's in kansas.

I think pdql is in your area you may try to get with him if he needs someone. Get the tree climbers companion read read and read then get a job with a local with good reputation. After you graduate there will be time to get into your own gig and you will have learned some by then.

I think pdql is in your area you may try to get with him if he needs someone. Get the tree climbers companion read read and read then get a job with a local with good reputation. After you graduate there will be time to get into your own gig and you will have learned some by then.

Oh yeah snowflake:laugh:

those chippers suck.

Yea,
I've just had the small removals, and a few trim jobs. Keep in mind the limbs i cut i have to load into the back of my truck until i get a chipper(veermer 1250a). I have been thinking about an internship with a local company called vanbooven tree, www.vanbooventree.com. So now I'm just trying to get the proper equipment like chap helmets(with built in ear protection).

they are money pits,poorly designed and just plain suck.trust me.

look for a bandit or morbark.

they might seem good..............

if you've never used anything else.

a Ford would probably seem like a nice car if I had never driven a Toyota.

if you've never used anything else.

a Ford would probably seem like a nice car if I had never driven a Toyota.

well that and I went to vermeer great plains yesturday and finally got some chaps and a helmet with the face sheild and ear muffs, he also told me the price of a new bc1200xl was in the $40,000 range. He also said he doesn't know of any morbark dealers close by either. Next time I go back I'll be getting climbing gear after i get certified. Also do you know when you can take the test ?
Thanks,
James

well that and I went to vermeer great plains yesturday and finally got some chaps and a helmet with the face sheild and ear muffs, he also told me the price of a new bc1200xl was in the $40,000 range. He also said he doesn't know of any morbark dealers close by either. Next time I go back I'll be getting climbing gear after i get certified. Also do you know when you can take the test ?
Thanks,
James

questions like this prove my point.

buy climbing gear AFTER you get certified? :dizzy: While pricing $40,000 chippers?

you posted first about how we advertise for tree work, and you are going to steal work from a guy like pdql? go to work FOR him, ( or someone else) snowflake. don't take his work. he's forgot more than you will ever know.

I don't like to see people hurt or killed, but there will always be accidents by fools. you can be one of those fools if you want, God gives us all free agency in life.

please be safe, you will only drive up our insurance rates and draw even more unwanted OSHA involvement.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back