New to working on saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So i kind of got fed up always asking others to help fix my saws or bringing them to local stores and getting screwed, so i decided im going to learn to fix them myself, and it's interesting to me. I went out and bought 5 saws at auction that weren't running and figured i'd take my time fixing them 1 at a time (272xp, 272xp, 371xp, 394xp, and a dolmar 5100s). Posting this to see what tips and tricks would help make things less painful with learning to fix these, for example: clutch puller is a must have, or tricks to take things off without some kind of special tool and avoid breaking anything, or resources for parts, or anything else someone new to working on saws might find helpful. I do have people nearby that can help me if needed but they dont teach, they just do it. I also have the service manuals for each saw.... I also have done some basic repairs, so i'm not completely incompetent.

Nice selection of saws to work on- fairly easily worked and easy to shift on once repaired, parts still available.
You can do a WHOLE lot with a small selection of basic hand tools- even remove clutches and split cases.
First thing you have to do is start deciding exactly why each does not run- that will dictate what parts you need and what tools you need. Be a bit of a setback to buy a workshops worth of tooling and find the saw you start with just has a kill switch wire earthing out on the case.

One of the most important things you need is a stable, clear work platform and an assortment of trays, or bags for small parts.
Only pull one saw apart at a time- so you don't end up with a bench full of parts from several saws and have to try and decide which part fits which saw..
First course of action- pick one, pull it apart and clean it well, inspect each part for damage, start making a list.

Not the saws I would have picked to start with but since you have them we'll help in any way we can...I would have started with cheap saws like the plastic poulan saws, easy to work on and cheap on parts. Husqvarna does have an aftermarket if that's appealing to you, Dolmar does not, parts kinda high and a bit scarce. If you get them repaired all the saws you picked will sell at a good price.

Not the saws I would have picked to start with but since you have them we'll help in any way we can...I would have started with cheap saws like the plastic poulan saws, easy to work on and cheap on parts. Husqvarna does have an aftermarket if that's appealing to you, Dolmar does not, parts kinda high and a bit scarce. If you get them repaired all the saws you picked will sell at a good price.
Picked husky saws and a dolmar cause these are almost identical to my running saws that I use... so I'd become familiar with what I have already

As mentioned take photos as you go, lots of them from all angles. It's too easy to forget exactly how the various springs, electrical wires, rods, tubes and control cables etc. fit in relation to each other as you pull things apart. Did this go over or under that, or around the back of this, maybe through here???

Sounds like you have the right attitude and general skills, enjoy!

And AS is the best source of advice if you get stuck.

Hi,
Fair warning!

Learn how to pressure/vacuum test!

If you have a scored piston, cylinder, it happened for a reason, and you have to try to find out why or make sure it was not an air leak before a rebuild...

As if you don't, you will burn it up again!

Just sayin!

MN-Man:
As a novice myself, I must say there is a wealth of good information in the replies! I recently tackled my first overhaul (Cylinder & Piston) on a Stihl MS 290.

I located (2) YouTube Videos on that model of saw that were pretty in-depth (the mechanic had obviously rebuilt them before), however there were some very important things missing in videos, most importantly that neither of them mentioned the importance of having or using Vac/PSI testing following a Overhaul.
I am glad I listened to people in this forum who stressed the importance of purchasing a good quality VAC/PSI gauge and using it. In the end, I had to reseal the pan (4x) before figuring out a better process to reassemble and getting a solid test. If I hadn’t used the VAC/PSI…my engine would have seized up in the first few minutes and I would have been clueless!

Also lessons learned, was to replace gaskets & seals if you break them down that far.

AND FINALLY…be forwarned! It is a highly addictive hobby! Once you rebuild your first chainsaw (especially from one that has been rejected and thrown out) …and then troubleshoot it and get it to pass the VAC/PSI Test….there is no feeling like pulling the ripcord and having that bugger fire right up and run like chainsaw should!

Another big key that I have found is: “It just takes time..”. Since I am not a Pro Mechanic…Sometimes I have to spend Hours, Days and Weeks trying to figure out what is broken or missing or what I am missing (research) etc. I have to just try different adjustments to get it to fire (start with getting spark first)…followed by learning how to rebuild Carburetors (a must). And…thank goodness for eBay and YouTube!

good luck! I am glad I am not the only novice in the shop haha!

I have hung on to a Stihl 041 AV for 45 years with the hopes of some day repair or rebuilding it.
About 25 years ago I took it to be fixed and the repair estimate was more than a new saw at
Sears so I just bought a new saw instead and have bought a few since. I can still remember
running the saw as a teenager and remember how it slowly pulled big chunks or wood out
in a steady manner instead like of the bumblebee buzz saws from Sears spewing sawdust..

Another big key that I have found is: “It just takes time..”. Since I am not a Pro Mechanic…Sometimes I have to spend Hours, Days and Weeks trying to figure out what is broken or missing or what I am missing (research) etc. I have to just try different adjustments to get it to fire (start with getting spark first)…followed by learning how to rebuild Carburetors (a must). And…thank goodness for eBay and YouTube!

good luck! I am glad I am not the only novice in the shop haha!
This is all true! Sometimes I have neglected things more important to be working on or spending time on (family) because I’m trying to get this last thing fixed/reassembled/working (for the 3rd time!).

And not gaining much if you did. :laugh:
Experience. When I first started tinkering there wasn't a site called AS, in fact the home computer hadn't been invented, so, rather than to try to find a non-existent Husqvarna or Stihl to work on I found a Homelite or Poulan which is what people around here used. Cheap by today's standard, not so much back then..

Congratulations mn man for coming over to the dark side of this fascinating hobby/profession. Remember, there are no dumb questions, only ignorant replies

BTW, you neglected to say what all those saws cost you at auction. If the price is right, this purchase just may qualify you for inclusion in the "You Suck!" thread.

I started repairing my own saws for the same reasons as you and now repair them for others. (mostly now as a hobby)
Some tools that are handy at first is usually fuel line replacement tools and tygon tubing.
Homostats curved nose type also handy, extra long needle nose pliers. a good vac/pressure tester such as mityvac, but you can get by with a pressure only blood pressure type bulb at first, A accurate compression gauge, but I very seldom use a comp gauge, one of the first things I do is pull a muffler and take a close look at the piston/cylinder. I've seen good/fair compression reading but the piston is scored and the saw have other issues as to why it's not running and really whipping on a horse that is dying because it has cancer inside.
If not already learn how to hand sharpen your own saws also.
Get yourself a pile of the Poulan/Craftsman for some good experience. Take three or 4 and build one instead of buying new parts. You will also learn what a good made saw looks like when you see one after you have worked on the later model Poulans/Craftsmans. Poulan several years ago made some good Industrial type saws, which was a surprise to me when I started seeing them. (and re-searched their history)
You tube is your friend now days, but back when I started I was on my own, no computer or You tube, just some IPL's maybe.
I also still get lots of good advice from the forums members here.
Start saving and filing links on your computer to this site and others about Chainsaw repairs, carbs, how to's, etc.

You tube is your friend now days, but back when I started I was on my own, no computer or You tube, just some IPL's maybe.
I also still get lots of good advice from the forums members here.
Start saving and filing links on your computer to this site and others about Chainsaw repairs, carbs, how to's, etc.
All good advice there. Donyboy73 has some of the best videos out there on YouTube. I've learned a lot from him and others. @Vintage Engine Repairs has some good diagnosing videos too.

Back