New toy arrived today, Husqvarna 44

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought a very nice Husky 44 off ebay and it arrived today. $125 shipped It was running on the 4th pull and cuts great. Haven't had time to tune it and check the rpms, but it has a hesitation on the ramp up. I parted one of these out a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with the build quality. Just wish it had a bumper spike. This may replace my Makita 401, or at least keep it company.:biggrin:

Congrats on your new-to-you saw! Enjoyed the pics. Knew a guy once that had one like it, he loved it & was always wanting me to run it. At the time I had a good 266, and had little use for anything else, but as I have "matured" I now appreciate "horses for courses". Your 401 should be noticeably lighter, but I could be wrong.

Bought a very nice Husky 44 off ebay and it arrived today. $125 shipped It was running on the 4th pull and cuts great. Haven't had time to tune it and check the rpms, but it has a hesitation on the ramp up. I parted one of these out a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with the build quality. Just wish it had a bumper spike. This may replace my Makita 401, or at least keep it company.:biggrin:
Was cutting firewood with mine this afternoon. Fantastic little saws. The father of the 346, one of the most amazing saws ever made!! Try and find a 44 Orange top or a 444. They will amaze you!

Hands down, my favorite small-med. firewood saw. Great power for their size and truely a bullet proof design. First saw I ever ran (back in the early 80's) belonging to my Dad and it is still cutting firewood today! I run both 15" and 16" bars on mine with .325 chain and it rips. Mine did not have a spike either and a fellow AS member / friend of mine modified a spike to fit it. I think the inside spike from a 371/372 will match bolt holes and the bottom point can be ground off to make a better fit.

Last edited:
LOVE my 44. Saw rips for a 44cc saw that is almost 30 years old.

I found a spike on ebay. The guy that had it listed had no part number on it. This made sense to me, because I searched every IPL I could find but could not obtain a p/n for a factory spike. I had seen one on a 444 though in a picture somewhere.

Well I took the chance on it, and it was definitely made for the saw. Shouldn't be hard to make one fit from another saw though.

Let me know if you need any parts I have a parts saw in my pile somewhere

One of my favorite saws, I have the grey top verson this little thing seems to fly through the wood with a 16" bar. Hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

Got 7-8 of them and 1-444 now 2 (just got a crankcase with good P&C $15). AWESOME little saws they cut way bigger than 42mm. Absolutely my favorite little saw. I inherited my Dad's grey top 44. This saw started my Husky addiction nah my saw addiction. I even have a few Stihls, Dolmars, Poulans, Homelites, Partners, Macs, Solos, O&Rs, Remingtons. I have ton's on 44 parts been collecting NOS for years. I missed the felling dog or you wouldn't have it HaHa.
Congratulations on a GREAT, WONDERFUL, AWESOME saw. Yes I do like em.

Shep

PS stay away form the 1979 44 saws with blue coil they are nonexistant.

Don't own one but just merged two broken ones into one running unit for my neighbor. He is and older guy that has a small firwood business....He loves them...I found them pretty easy to work on and came up with a real sweet looking saw in the end. It ran but didn't run just right, kinda lazy on the spoolup so I figued a carb kit.....when I removed the carb I found someone had used the wrong carb to manifold gasket and the impulse corridor was totaly closed off?????? I have no idea how it ran at all but it did......cleaned and kitted the carb and fixed the gasket and it ran super..dialed it right in to specs and it was just like new......snappy little saw.....very similar to the Jreds 451E/EV in build and speed. The 451 was designed as a high speed limbing saw.....cases were not bored to acept dogs of any kind...probably why the dogs for the 44 are very rare as well.

LOVE my 44. Saw rips for a 44cc saw that is almost 30 years old.

I found a spike on ebay. The guy that had it listed had no part number on it. This made sense to me, because I searched every IPL I could find but could not obtain a p/n for a factory spike. I had seen one on a 444 though in a picture somewhere.

Well I took the chance on it, and it was definitely made for the saw. Shouldn't be hard to make one fit from another saw though.

Picture of the 44 spike would be appreciated for those who have/want one of those saws................

Here ya go

WP_000320.jpg

WP_000321.jpg

Made a spike out of a 350 part. It ground easy but drilling was a bit tough. This made a world of difference on this saw.

Got the tach out yesterday, tried tuning it and cut some cookies. The max RPM is inconsistent. I had it at 13,500 but lost power so I fattened it back. It runs between 12,500 to 13,000 and it's undoubtedly 4 stroking. Increased the low a few times until I got rid of the hesitation. It returns to idle fine every time and idles steady. What would cause the inconsistency in the top RPM? Time for a carb kit?

New spark plug wouldn't hurt. If the diaphrams are a stiff in any way rebuild the carb. Did you pull the muffler to inspect the piston/cylinder?

New spark plug wouldn't hurt. If the diaphrams are a stiff in any way rebuild the carb. Did you pull the muffler to inspect the piston/cylinder?

I hate pulling mufflers after the 350 fiasco and I doubt the cylinder has problems. It has plenty of power. I have a new plug to try, that's worth a shot. If I open the carb, I'll rebuild it.

Back