New Wood Hauler..Maybe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might not realize it yet, but you're wrong.
I've owned diesels and they are great. However at this point in life the heaviest thing I pull is a 3000 lb trailer so it's not necessary. Secondly I am not familiar in diesel repair which can get costly as they age.

If you are looking at an older Chevy, consider a 6.5 diesel. People say they are junk... But they get double the fuel mileage of a 454 typically. A good place to do some research is Dieselplace. The fuel econ can really pay off in the long run if you put numbers to it. if you do your own work, the maintenance isn't too bad. Lots of super die hard 6.5ers in MN too.

The additional capacity of a long box would be great. With stake sides I could haul a cord. Since I'm normally hauling relatively light wood (red maple and white birch are the highest BTU wood available to me in any volume) I don't need to really worry about weight overloading.

You might not realize it yet, but you're wrong.

I looked for a couple years at trucks. After much research and talking to many people and forums I conclude that diesels are way to risky for the average guy driving a limited # of miles a year and infrequently pulling loads in excessive of 15,000#s. Repairs of on diesels which WILL HAPPEN can run many thousands of dollars per occurrence and the performance gain is just not worth it. If one could do all the service, parts alone are cost prohibitive. The EPA regs have destroyed diesels in regards to cost to operate.

I've owned diesels and they are great. However at this point in life the heaviest thing I pull is a 3000 lb trailer so it's not necessary. Secondly I am not familiar in diesel repair which can get costly as they age.

I was just messing with you, don't think smilies show up when I post from this phone.

The additional capacity of a long box would be great. With stake sides I could haul a cord. Since I'm normally hauling relatively light wood (red maple and white birch are the highest BTU wood available to me in any volume) I don't need to really worry about weight overloading.

BTW I borrowed a 2007 Silverado 1500, drove a lot nicer than my truck unloaded. I had 2/3 cord of very dry sassafras, poplar, and soft Maple, on it and that truck was squatting. Engine and brakes didn't care and it wasn't gonna snap the frame by any means but it was definitely noticeable.

My wife replaced her 01 Tahoe last year and she's been doubling the payments on her Lexus to pay it off. Keeps saying she wants me to get a newer truck. I love my 99 Ram, it only has 140K on it, and it looked brand new when I got it from my sister 5 years ago. It had been garage kept till I got it. Now the clear coat is shot and it's fading, only 1 rust spot. I had to replace the computer, exhaust and tires last year. It's old and stuff is starting to wear out. I started looking at the Ram Ecodiesel 3.0 v6 diesel. My nephew is a Dodge mechanic and said stay away from the little V6. But, most of what I've read has been pretty good, and every report I've read says it hits it's EPA rating of 28 MPG highway right on the head. Think I'll test drive a new one to see if I like it. My 99 only gets about 13 highway and 9.5 with the dump trailer on it, Joe.
Approach the ecodiesel with caution Joe. I talked to 3 different owners and they all hated them. I don't know them personally. Just guys I've met and had casual conversations with. Bought an old Mac from one of them. He said it's been nothing but problems from day one.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Approach the ecodiesel with caution Joe. I talked to 3 different owners and they all hated them. I don't know them personally. Just guys I've met and had casual conversations with. Bought an old Mac from one of them. He said it's been nothing but problems from day one.

Thanks Brian, that's probably why a local dealer has a left over 2017 for $17,000 off MSRP. My nephew is a Dodge mechanic and when they first came out he said to stay away from them. I spent two hours doing searches on them and every thing was good. But, the big thing the revues covered was the mileage. They all said it would honestly do the EPA rating of 27-28 MPG highway. That doesn't mean much if it's always sitting in the shop. Thanks again, Joe.

Thanks Brian, that's probably why a local dealer has a left over 2017 for $17,000 off MSRP. My nephew is a Dodge mechanic and when they first came out he said to stay away from them. I spent two hours doing searches on them and every thing was good. But, the big thing the revues covered was the mileage. They all said it would honestly do the EPA rating of 27-28 MPG highway. That doesn't mean much if it's always sitting in the shop. Thanks again, Joe.
Wish I could be more specific Joe. I don't know what the problems were. I'm sure the fuel mileage is accurate. I know the Cummins is well respected but haven't heard anything good about this new engine.

I picked up a 2003 F250 4x4 auto for $6k, it has a 3.73 rear with an extra spring in the rear same as the F350. It has the 5.4l gas motor and pulls a dump trailer while fully loaded with side boards. I had a diesel F350 before that started draining my bank account and I do all my own work. Best move I made was to get rid of the old diesel. I haul firewood to make money not spend it on constant repairs. The F250 rides better and pulls down the highway great.

20161126_110329.jpg

That's a great truck and twice of what I need. I would use that as a daily driver too!

I would be really happy to get something rust free from down south without too many miles in the 2-3000 range. Thinking I can get 1500-2000 for mine up in MN.

That's a great truck and twice of what I need. I would use that as a daily driver too!

I would be really happy to get something rust free from down south without too many miles in the 2-3000 range. Thinking I can get 1500-2000 for mine up in MN.

I picked up this 1991 F250 4x4 5spd manual from NC a couple years ago for $2800, it was really too nice and didn't have enough power with the 302 motor for towing and hauling but it sure was a good looking truck, sold it for $4500 six months later after cleaning it up and making a couple minor repairs. Keep looking you will find something.

10407863_366398316879139_593089049516414384_n[1].jpg

I picked up a 2003 F250 4x4 auto for $6k, it has a 3.73 rear with an extra spring in the rear same as the F350. It has the 5.4l gas motor and pulls a dump trailer while fully loaded with side boards. I had a diesel F350 before that started draining my bank account and I do all my own work. Best move I made was to get rid of the old diesel. I haul firewood to make money not spend it on constant repairs. The F250 rides better and pulls down the highway great.

I was going to recommend a truck with a 5.4 but it sounds like SVK is stuck on those Chivvvies.

What engine did the f350 have out of curiosity?

I was going to recommend a truck with a 5.4 but it sounds like SVK is stuck on those Chivvvies.

I love the 80-96' Fords. Have owned several from 80-86. The pre-80 trucks are hitting collector status now and are too expensive (plus an X-cab is almost impossible to find). I am not a fan of the newer F-150's. I know the early F-250/350 super dutys had a lot of trouble with front ends (my BIL went through several of them) so again something I want to avoid. The more recent super duty's of course would be out of my price range if I am just using it as a wood hauler.

Perfect for me would be a 97 or 98 2500 long box with x-cab, 3rd door, and bench seats so 6 can ride in it.

Although I may just be better off selling my Yukon and getting a truck new enough to drive daily yet old enough to drive on logging roads without worrying about scratching up a bit.

It had the 7.3 liter turbo. The motor was great but the rest of the truck was going and it was pretty rusty. Bought it for $5K and put $6K into it, used it for a couple seasons to deliver firewood and sold it for $6K , ouch !! It was a beast, pulled great with 4.10 gears until I pulled the tow hitch loose from the rusted frame. I had the rear underneath of the bead blasted and the frame boxed in at my NASCAR buddies shop, the guy that bought it got a great deal, I was just shell shocked waiting for something else to go and figured I would get out of it before something else had to be repaired. In all fairness I bought it in Boone, NC and they use salt up there in the winter so it wasn't the greatest buy at the time but I figured I could handle the repairs as usual. It just got out of hand so I dumped it in great running condition but who knows for how long.

2015-08-16 20.02.23.jpg

Latest posts

Back