Putting Some Cash Back Into The Wood Hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the past decade, an unbelievable amount of used tire places have popped up here. Truly a staggering number of them. It seems like dollar stores and used tire places are the #1 stores. The tire places are directly linked to the illegal aliens. They send runners to the u pull it junkyards to get the best tires before anybody else can, then mark them up. But they also buy used tires by the trailer load. All i know is i saved $500 or more, but you can easily get ripped off taking a chance.

Hey svk, does your chevy have the 4L80e trans?
Ah that makes sense! When I lived in Tampa briefly a few years ago I had to buy a tire from one of those places. The guy at the desk barely spoke English and the mechanics didn't.

No clue. 97' 1500 extended cab 4x4 with 350 and z71 package. 3.73 gears.

Uh oh. If you don't know, that means you haven't changed your trans filter in a long time! Lol. I have 3.73 gears too. You can i.d. which trans you have by the code in the glove box. Our years had either 4L60e or 4L80e. When i bought mine, i googled chevy trans code identification and matched it to the code. Found out i have the 4L80e.

Uh oh. If you don't know, that means you haven't changed your trans filter in a long time! Lol. I have 3.73 gears too. You can i.d. which trans you have by the code in the glove box. Our years had either 4L60e or 4L80e. When i bought mine, i googled chevy trans code identification and matched it to the code. Found out i have the 4L80e.
4L80's were typically on the 2500/3500 trucks....4L60's were in the s10's and 1500's
4L80's in 1500's are pretty rare, mostly just special order...

Good reminder. When I bring it into the shop to burn the old receiver bolts off I'll have him do the tranny fluid and filter too.

Since only about 1.25 gallons drain by just dropping the pan in the 4L60/4L80e, i ended up having to drop the pan & change the fluid& filter 3 times over the course of a few weeks before the dipstick was only showing clean fluid. It had been ignored by the previous owner. I guess a lot of the fluid is trapped inside the torque converter when the pan is dropped. Poor man's version of the high dollar flush that the shops do.

all i can say....undercoating goes a long way in keeping the rust from starting. my 05 silverado is in great shape with 231000Km on it. debating whether or not to put a new steering box in it as its starting to "knock". im a fan of the gm trucks imo easier than the ford to work on and more reliable than the rams. dont get me wrong they are all good trucks but for some reason ive gone GM.

replaced the fuel pump on the 05 a couple weeks ago. Box came off and that is a great time to undercoat everything :D

i got a 2011 sierra a couple year ago. 4.8l ext cab. for my daily driver. as much as i thought i never wanted the newer gimmics the bluetooth phone is handy and so simple to use. i like the TPMS system as i can check them any time without getting the gauge out.

i do oil changes every 5000km with syn 5w30 so hopefully that will benefit the long run.

and these trucks all need proper alignments after a couple years. the camber is usually way out. i was getting the cupping on the front tires and that stopped with an alignment. i set it with 0 degrees camber and toe. it drives so much better now. and tire wear is even.

Good reminder. When I bring it into the shop to burn the old receiver bolts off I'll have him do the tranny fluid and filter too.
what's with the new avatar? the other one is a better image of you...........I think?

4l80 is in the elusive 1500HD he has a 4l60 you want to know everything about your truck email me the last 8 of the VIN on Monday. I wish you lived Closer Steve we have TONS of take-offs at the dealer. You know when someone want 20's on there there new Silverado so we take off there stock 17's and stick them in a shipping container. Then when we sell a used truck that needs tires we stick them on them. But we literally have a freaking container full of them...... Keep that old girl running, when you get a chance add a leaf to the rear stack, she'll appreciate it.

i got a 2011 sierra a couple year ago. 4.8l ext cab. for my daily driver. as much as i thought i never wanted the newer gimmics the bluetooth phone is handy and so simple to use. i like the TPMS system as i can check them any time without getting the gauge out.

My 96 2500 has gimmics like manual locks, crank windows, and headlights that come on when i choose instead of running all ****** day long without my consent.
sarah_palin_s_is_retarded_as_this_guy.jpg

Helper springs are in, receiver is in, tyranny fluid and filter changed. Now my radiator is starting to drip a bit but that's an easy afternoon project once hunting is done. Then three tires and we are hopefully set for a while.

BTW never buy the universal receiver hitch. It's a bit less expensive but a total beach to install. Buy the vehicle specific hitch.

4l80 is in the elusive 1500HD he has a 4l60 you want to know everything about your truck email me the last 8 of the VIN on Monday. I wish you lived Closer Steve we have TONS of take-offs at the dealer. You know when someone want 20's on there there new Silverado so we take off there stock 17's and stick them in a shipping container. Then when we sell a used truck that needs tires we stick them on them. But we literally have a freaking container full of them...... Keep that old girl running, when you get a chance add a leaf to the rear stack, she'll appreciate it.
I drive one of those elusive 1500HD GMCs. Great truck. It does have the 4L80 tranny.

im a fan of the gm trucks imo easier than the ford to work on and more reliable than the rams. dont get me wrong they are all good trucks but for some reason ive gone GM.

Replacing exhaust manifolds on the newer Fords SUCKS! Then depending on the year they put the oil filters in some pretty ****** places. I hate doing oil changes on F-150's, GM trucks however are a breeze.

Latest posts

Back