Putting Some Cash Back Into The Wood Hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My truck (97' Chevy z71 ex-cab) has moved quite a bit of wood for me in the last three years. I broke the receiver hitch off last spring (it had rusted out beyond the frame rails) but otherwise I have had pretty much maintenance free service outside brakes and and power steering pump replacement.

This fall I have a new receiver, helper springs, and just ordered a headache rack from Blain's. I put the original (new) spare tire on the drive wheel a few weeks back and will be replacing the other three tires shortly when I find some with good tread on sale. The truck will roll 200K in a few more weeks.

Usually whenever I fix something up good, something else major breaks/happens and I end up getting rid of it. Hope this isn't the case this time.

My truck (97' Chevy z71 ex-cab) has moved quite a bit of wood for me in the last three years. I broke the receiver hitch off last spring (it had rusted out beyond the frame rails) but otherwise I have had pretty much maintenance free service outside brakes and and power steering pump replacement.

This fall I have a new receiver, helper springs, and just ordered a headache rack from Blain's. I put the original (new) spare tire on the drive wheel a few weeks back and will be replacing the other three tires shortly when I find some with good tread on sale. The truck will roll 200K in a few more weeks.

Usually whenever I fix something up good, something else major breaks/happens and I end up getting rid of it. Hope this isn't the case this time.
Good luck. Those years of 1/2 tons are tough. You will love having a headache rack! It's so nice to just toss wood in the box without worrying about the rear window!

With tires I will have about 900 bucks into it this year. Not bad considering what it does. Knock on wood shouldn't need any maintenance for quite some time.

Truck is pretty solid with the exception of where the receiver caught moisture and rusted. I don't even have rust on the cab corners.

Luckily, cab corners are fine on my 96 2500 2wd. Picked it up for $700 last year because previous owner didn't want to fix the metal brake line. Neither did i, but for $700 i figured i would. Pulled my 6x12 like a champ all summer. Since you're putting money into yours, ever consider air shocks? Got mine from summit for about 75 to my door. I think they're monroe, but the names blend together. They work great for leveling heavy loads. Was suprised how cheap they were...basically the same price as gas shocks.

Miss my '99, got a 2011 now with about 50,000 mile and it's already had a couple of minor issues but still a pain in the butt.

With tires I will have about 900 bucks into it this year. Not bad considering what it does. Knock on wood shouldn't need any maintenance for quite some time.

if i may make a recommendation.
a cheap tire that does decent offload and on. primewell AT.
upload_2015-10-28_22-4-20.jpegupload_2015-10-28_22-4-20.jpeg

I love to see the older Chevy's still on the road. My '86 C-30 is waiting on new rocker panels and cab corners to come in, and she will be getting her 30 year makeover. Hopefully has another 30 years in her.

Don't ignore used tires. I got 5 bridgestone commercials for my 2500 that still had the nipples on the sidewall for $100 per tire mounted&balanced. I never get that lucky, but they've been great. They were off a wrecked commercial vehicle.

Don't ignore used tires. I got 5 bridgestone commercials for my 2500 that still had the nipples on the sidewall for $100 per tire mounted&balanced. I never get that lucky, but they've been great. They were off a wrecked commercial vehicle.
I often put used tires on my suburbans as they will scallop the front tires pretty quickly if you forget to rotate often enough. Then you keep the 4 tires with around the same amount of wear if you replace two tires with similar used tires. I want full tread for this truck because it is often off road so I'd prefer new tires with more tread (although they will probably have a lower mile rating) as this truck isn't going to get the miles it once did now that I drive something else daily.

I haven't bought new tires in years.

Just last week got a like-new set for the SUV for $120. Got a like-new set for the Civic in the spring for $150.

The thrill of the hunt - kijiji rocks.

I haven't bought new tires in years.

Just last week got a like-new set for the SUV for $120. Got a like-new set for the Civic in the spring for $150.

The thrill of the hunt - kijiji rocks.
If you can find factory tires from when someone throws big fu-fu tires and rims on a new vehicle, deals can be had. However nobody sells trucks with factory 245/75/16's any more!

i bought two mud grip tires for my truck 31x10.50-r15 6 ply new for 88.00 each mount and balance is including with the tire.
mounted two mastercraft courser MT on my truck.

Over the past decade, an unbelievable amount of used tire places have popped up here. Truly a staggering number of them. It seems like dollar stores and used tire places are the #1 stores. The tire places are directly linked to the illegal aliens. They send runners to the u pull it junkyards to get the best tires before anybody else can, then mark them up. But they also buy used tires by the trailer load. All i know is i saved $500 or more, but you can easily get ripped off taking a chance.

Hey svk, does your chevy have the 4L80e trans?

Back