New wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to break it to you but you didn't get a 27 ton splitter at best your getting a 20 ton unit. Not to mention that you can get something similar for a little less from your local tractor supply or northern tool 98% of all splitter manufacturers over state there tonnage even when the cylinder can't do it. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulic.htm look at that and let it do the math for you.

looks to me like you will be hugging the tires

I prefer more work area. get the wood a little further from the axle..so you do not have to wear the paint off with your leg.

From the spec's supplied, which are very vague, the splitter has a 11 gpm 2-stage pump with a 4 1/2" bore cylinder. As with 98% of the splitters on the market the advertising is mostly hype. The engine is twice the hp needed to get maximum cycle time and tonnage from the 11gpm pump, a bigger engine with the same pump will not produce more tonnage. One good thing is if you decide the cycle time is to slow you can swap the 11 gpm pump for a 16 gpm pump and cut cycle time by about 1/4.

Congratulations on your new splitter it may be a Chevy instead of a Caddy but it will get the job done.

Might not be that bad!

I doubt that the engine is "oversized" much. It is interesting that they rate it in torque rather than HP. Unless they meant to do it the other way. Would make more sense then.

27 T has to be a bit off the mark, but it will still split wood.
11GPM pump sounds about right. Might be slow, but it will work.

Interesting to see how well you like it!

-Pat

Sears used to use peak HP which was somewhat of a shenanagan rating, especially on the air compressor motors. After a lot of criticism they have started using max torque ratings, a similar shananegan.

Who actually makes that splitter? Craftsman/Kenmore/Diehard aren't made by Sears but by other manufacturers and re-branded. My bet would be Yard Machines by the look of the splitter.

Congratulations on the splitter. I know I can split alot more wood with my Yard Machines 22 ton than I can by hand any day of the week.

Matt

Last edited:
I am guessing a 6.5 hp and 19 sec cycle time based on info on MTD's site. Compared to a White Outdoor brand the only difference listed is a 2" coupler vs 1-7/8" coupler.

Most of the splitters spec out about the same with an occasional 16 gpm pump thrown in. You have to spend some dollars to get to the 22 gpm and up pump packages that are speced out on the commercial splitters. Read $5K + price tags.

Enjoy your new splitter. It will make your splitting chores easier.

Don

I think the cycle time of hyraulic splitters are misleading. They slow down when they hit the wood. Isn't cycle time is measured unloaded?

Scott

I dug out a Briggs engine spec book, 2004 edition. The 190 cc, 6.75 ft-lbs torque engine is listed as a 6.5 hp Quantum Model Series123K00. This engine is more than adequate to handle a 11gpm 2-stage pump.

I have the same splitter under the TroyBuilt name but with a Honda 5.5hp engine. I purchased it from Lowes last year for barely over $1000 with all the discounts they offered. It has preformed FLAWLESS. It is definately not the fastest pump but it is no big deal at all. I have thrown every size log at it and it has not failed me yet.For what I split as a homeowner it was the best $1000 I spent.

I hate to break it to you but you didn't get a 27 ton splitter at best your getting a 20 ton unit. Not to mention that you can get something similar for a little less from your local tractor supply or northern tool 98% of all splitter manufacturers over state there tonnage even when the cylinder can't do it. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulic.htm look at that and let it do the math for you.

gees.....rain on the guy's parade, why don't ya?

congrats on the splitter. sears makes good stuff, so you should get some real use out of it.

I just bought this yesterday. I will be picking it up on Thursday. I am anxious to start using it and will give a report on it. I chose this model because of price, engine size (11 hp.) and features 27 ton. capacity. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07177640000P?vName=Lawn+&+Garden&keyword=log+splitter

Ya , the guys happy and proud with his new toy, and people tell him its a pirce of ####. Congrats dude, I hope it works for you like its suppoed to

Congratulations on the splitter. It looks like a nice one. Dont let these guys get to you, the best splitter for you is one that you like. A guy I cut and split with knocked my Tractor Supply splitter, he thinks if you dont have a Honda engine you dont have anything. The engine is only part of the package, my Briggs has run perfectly, my splitter is faster than his and will split some stuff that his wont. I am happy with mine and I am sure you will be happy with yours, like I said it looks like a nice splitter.

I just bought this yesterday. I will be picking it up on Thursday. I am anxious to start using it and will give a report on it. I chose this model because of price, engine size (11 hp.) and features 27 ton. capacity. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07177640000P?vName=Lawn+&+Garden&keyword=log+splitter

it could entirely be 27 tons given the 4.5 inch bore and a teeny bit of flywheel energy.

further, i bet it is REALLY fast with the 11 horse engine and a 2 stage pump.

pretty good buy in my opinion.

Back