new woodstove ordered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank Chinaski

Number 37
Reaction score
well, thanks to some advise here and a lot of other confusing nitpicking searching on the interwebz I ordered our new Osburn 2400 wood stove today. I like the size and efficiency and the warranty. Got it from homeclick.com who were having a LaborDay sale (thru Monday) of 10% off your order. It wouldn't add the discount online, but when I called, they did it over the phone.
Got the stove, blower, fresh air kit, hose, free shipping and the 10% tax credit

Fresh air kit sounds like the air intake is plumbed up to pull outside air into the stove via a piped intake instead of threw leaky windows, doors or other non air tight parts of homes....which is what happens in my house when we are burning heavy in the middle of febuary..

Oh my that is pretty

Glad my GF ain't looking at that stove pic, boy would I be in debt fast.....

air intake-YES. I've been meaning now for two years to climb under the house and plumb one in for my heater. Just lazy and..lotta black widders down there..skerry....just call me nancy....

My heater has two round air openings on the front, and normally for heating here I only have to use one of them. I mean it gets plenty cold here but it ain't the arctic circle either... I'll open the second just to get a hot fire going faster for a few minutes, then close it again. Just one opened up throws plenty of heat. So I was thinking of cobjobbing a rig with like flex muffler pipe or something to fit that air intake hole, down under the heater where it sits, through the floor, then through some other piping outside. Anything to cut the leaks down to a more tolerable level. Old plank siding cabin, it is leak city, even with pounding all the nails back in.... Add in some sort of valve, like a damper maybe. Have to make one that size, around three inches or so.. I could still open the other air intake for those odd times when it gets quite cold for here.

Most places today I think it is code for a woodheater to have an air intake plumbed outside if it is a modular home/trailer. I've seen it on the little brochures on some I have looked at at the cheaper scale "rated for mobile home use".

nice! I've got an Osburn 1600 wood stove insert, very good build quality, heated last season with it and it had no issues at all!

looks like a nice stove the 2400, good price too, we paid 1300 for our 1600 insert

Great brand, but you don't hear much about them as far as a mainstream name goes, can't figure out why

Read this.
The Outdoor Air Myth Exposed
Looks like a great Canadian made stove!

Just read the article. It's all well & fine but... Most home owners are unwilling to have an air audit done on their house. This is a problem especially on brand new slapped together house. If there is not enough air exchange done there is a good chance smoke spillage will occur especially on startup. The home owner then blames "that piece of crap stove", when in reality they should maybe spend $700 to $1,000 into an air exchanger / heat recuperator on their house.

As a last measure because they cant afford that they will buy an $80 outside air kit for the stove. However, I've seen it where when the stove is not in use, Ice will actually build up on the underside of the stove due to the condensation from the cold air coming in the OAK. Right there that's telling you that house is starving for air.

Dont install the OAK unless you really need it.

nice! I've got an Osburn 1600 wood stove insert, very good build quality, heated last season with it and it had no issues at all!

looks like a nice stove the 2400, good price too, we paid 1300 for our 1600 insert

Great brand, but you don't hear much about them as far as a mainstream name goes, can't figure out why

I work for Osburn and I hope the following makes you feel better about the brand:

1) Only brand that I'm aware of where the glass is 'lifetime warranty' even if you break it by putting your foot in it. Most other brand if they have a warranty its for 'thermal shock' and you have to prove it. Warranty overall is bests just about any other warranty out there.

2) we use 3/8 steel on plate top. Most brands use 1/4 to 5/16.

3) Only brand on the market I'm aware of that uses a cam & roller door locking mechanism for smooth operation. Try any other stoves and you'll see what I mean. You can also adjust the door tightness with the handle mechanism when your gasket start to flatten out.

4) Only brand on the market that uses 'C Cast' baffle. This is what we use on our furnaces because it can handle up to 3000F. Comes from the same technology as the space shuttle belly re-entry tiles. Helps to re-direct more heat toward the secondary tubes for more efficient combustion.

5) Yet it typically retails 10% to 15% below other 'Premium boutique' brands. So if you got an extra 10% you did extremely well.

Once you are done with the install let us know how it goes.

Mainly bumping this back to top. Interested in the Osburne 2400 insert for our new house we will be moving into in 2 1/2 weeks.

What was anticipated delivery date? And please post pics of install. Thanks #37, always enjoy reading your posts.:clap:

I work for Osburn and I hope the following makes you feel better about the brand:

Fyrebug, Will burning Osage Orange/Hedge void the warranty on an Osburn? That makes up about 75% of what I burn, with Black locust making up another 20% and elm and mesquite the remainder.

Fyrebug, Will burning Osage Orange/Hedge void the warranty on an Osburn? That makes up about 75% of what I burn, with Black locust making up another 20% and elm and mesquite the remainder.

I'm not overly familiar with that wood other than squirrel really like the fruit. As long as it's wood and not been treated with chemical you're good to go!

Mainly bumping this back to top. Interested in the Osburne 2400 insert for our new house we will be moving into in 2 1/2 weeks.

What was anticipated delivery date? And please post pics of install. Thanks #37, always enjoy reading your posts.:clap:

Hope to have it in next week (need to call and check). Will do pics of install, current plan is to totally remove the fireplace, and finish out the chimney surround and set it 1/2 in/out of the wall face. Though those plans may change once I get to that point based on stove placement requirements and other unforeseens

1) Only brand that I'm aware of where the glass is 'lifetime warranty' even if you break it by putting your foot in it. Most other brand if they have a warranty its for 'thermal shock' and you have to prove it. Warranty overall is bests just about any other warranty out there.

2) we use 3/8 steel on plate top. Most brands use 1/4 to 5/16.

3) Only brand on the market I'm aware of that uses a cam & roller door locking mechanism for smooth operation. Try any other stoves and you'll see what I mean. You can also adjust the door tightness with the handle mechanism when your gasket start to flatten out.

4) Only brand on the market that uses 'C Cast' baffle. This is what we use on our furnaces because it can handle up to 3000F. Comes from the same technology as the space shuttle belly re-entry tiles. Helps to re-direct more heat toward the secondary tubes for more efficient combustion.

5) Yet it typically retails 10% to 15% below other 'Premium boutique' brands. So if you got an extra 10% you did extremely well.

Once you are done with the install let us know how it goes.

Since you work for them, where is the best place to get replacement parts? Looking to buy a few parts just to have on hand, for example the front secondary burn tube, and the baffle fire slabs, as well as another blower possibly.

Nothing with the current quality concerns me, but these are typically the things that wear or burn out.

Since you work for them, where is the best place to get replacement parts? Looking to buy a few parts just to have on hand, for example the front secondary burn tube, and the baffle fire slabs, as well as another blower possibly.

Nothing with the current quality concerns me, but these are typically the things that wear or burn out.

You wont need any. Burn tube are warrantied life time, the baffle is C Cast which is ceramic composite with a 7 year warranty and the only way this will degrade of break is if you take it out and step on it. And I wouldnt worry about a blower. Warrantied 2 years. They are quite common parts, made in the US and have not substantially gone up in price in the past 5 years. They will last longer than 2 years.

Save your money, enjoy the fire!

Latest posts

Back