Newbie chainsaw question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh

Reaction score
Greetings, thanks for all your help so far. I've been learning a great deal before registering.

I think it's time to get another chainsaw, but before I do, I had a few questions.

Scenario:

Seven large (18-20") honey locusts down on my property, all of which were brought down with a Stihl 210. Not ideal, but it did the job and fit the budget at the time.

I recently bought a used 028 and it is at the dealer getting a tune up, new bar, new chain, etc. I haven't used it yet.

I've got a log splitter and plan on these locusts becoming lots of firewood.

The problem is, it appears as though cutting up these locusts is going to take forever with the 210! I tried a few and the poor little thing is a nice saw but obviously not the tool for the job!

So my question is, will the 028 do any better or is it time for a third saw in the shed? Budget would be around 5-600, but I'm still not sure which saw I should be looking at. I've got this job with the locusts, but also have a good deal more tree work to do.

Thanks in advance! If you need more info, let me know. Or if you know someone who has something used in East TN area, that would be great info too!

The 028 is a great tried and true firewood saw. It can handle your firewood needs. I it were me, I would run the 028 and save the money. Others will, for sure in the next 10 minutes, tell you to go out and get a 361, but the 028 will handle your immediate needs.

Depending on which dealer, that 5-600 might be whittled down considerably
to get the 028 back.

The 028 will do you fine, if he is putting on a new sprocket, request that it
be a rim sprocket assy.

I was in a similar boat. I have a MS250 and needed a bigger saw for some wood I was cutting up. I borrowed a Husky 268 from my wife's grandfather to do this. This thing ran through the wood, I couldn't believe it. This is the third time in about 10 years I needed a big saw for cutting up big stuff. I ended up buying a Husky 272XP from an AS member here for this purpose. A nice used saw that I got for a good price for the occational big wood I get.

Yup . I found out .
Hats off to the guy that has to cut up a bunch of it .

:cheers:

That's part of the problem. It is so :censored: hard that the chain dulls after a few passes, the 210 is crying for mercy, and so am I. Splitting the stuff is another chore - it's stringy, gnarly wood.

But it is excellent firewood - high BTU/cord at least.

After 7 trees I will be :givebeer:

I think that the dealer put a 20" bar on the 028. Is that going to be fine?

The 028 is a good saw, a 20" bar would be the limit for my tastes. As for a bigger saw look to local dealers or auctions for good used saw or check the sites trading post. I found a 394 at a local auction with a decent 24" bar and chain for $300.00.

That's part of the problem. It is so :censored: hard that the chain dulls after a few passes, the 210 is crying for mercy, and so am I. Splitting the stuff is another chore - it's stringy, gnarly wood.

But it is excellent firewood - high BTU/cord at least.

After 7 trees I will be :givebeer:

I think that the dealer put a 20" bar on the 028. Is that going to be fine?

Are you sure it's Locust? Locust is hard but it's not stringy, and it's easy to split with a maul.

Anyway, the 028 should do what you need it to. If you keep the chain from hitting the ground it should stay sharp for a lot longer than just a few cuts.

Don't forget to get a few extra chains,you'll need them. The Stihl chains are more expensive but hold their edge longer then most others. Well worth the cost.

Dad ran his 028 for years as our main firewood saw. Worked great for most everything we got into. I learned to cut with that saw and after close to 20 years it stil runs out great. When I got out of school I decided it was time for me to buy my own saw, naturally I had to have one bigger than dads so I got a 046. After dad ran that saw a few times he had to have one too :greenchainsaw:

Now we've got the 028 that gets used for limbing and small stuff, 2 046's and a 066. Now if I could only find a 088 or 090 in good shape I'd be happy... The only problem is once you've run a bigger saw its hard to go back to the small one. Hang around here long and you'll end up with that shed full :cheers:

Dont know if this would help the guy but what about semi chisel chain instead of full chisel? The 028 will do the job but if you want a bigger saw for that price try finding a used one in decent shape just be cautious if you go the ebay route.

Latest posts

Back