Newbie here....looking for a big saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0zarks2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm a newbie on the site and a newbie at running a saw. However, I bought my first saw a month or so ago. After extensive research I ended up picking up a 346XP. I've really enjoyed it so far.....it seems like a wicked little saw, but that's just it, it's a little small for the bigger stuff.

I'm kicking around the idea of a bigger saw to compliment the 346. The two saws I'm kicking around are the ms460 or the ms362. I think the 362 would be plenty for what I need it for but who cares about need, huh, lol? The 460 would be overkill but a lot of fun in a "Tim the tool man kinda way"...:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm thinking that between the 346 and 460 there's not much I couldn't tackle. I'm looking for some expert advice from you seasoned vets. Also, I was thinking about a shorter bar....like 20". Is it stupid to run a 460 with such a short bar?

Last edited:
I like a 50 and 70cc saw, combo for a lot of work. 440, 460, 372, will all be great saws. Lots of 20in. bars on those saws and bigger saws in my area. It really depends on what size wood you are cutting as to the size of the saw and the bar length that will work best. IMO skip the 60cc saws. To close in size to the 346.

Sorry guys, I meant to say ms460, NOT ms440 in my thread....I edited it.

I'm really leaning toward picking up a ms460. I'd like to have a Husky and a Stihl in the stable so that has me shying away from the 372xp for now although they can be had for a little less money.

I agree with you Oscar....a 70cc+ saw seems the way to go.

I'm here to serve.

Truth be told, there is a minor possibility that you can have too much chainsaw and then again, I have been under-gunned with 123cc.
Skip up to 80cc+. The "proper" so says me for only three saws, is 50cc, 80cc and, of course six cubes or better.

=

Look in the for sale section on here!!!!! 85 cc saw for sale. I wish I had the extra money!!!!:angry:

372 or 576 in the husky line. A 7900 will do it all if you have a dolmar dealer nearby. A 440 might be available in your area new again. If not a 441 or 460 should take care of your needs. If you don't think those will be big enough then there's some good 85-95cc saws out there in husky and stihl.

I'm here to serve.

Truth be told, there is a minor possibility that you can have too much chainsaw and then again, I have been under-gunned with 123cc.
Skip up to 80cc+. The "proper" so says me for only three saws, is 50cc, 80cc and, of course six cubes or better.

In all seriousness, I find myself sticking pretty close to your "proper"....Lately I've been packing either an 026 or 028 for the small saw and either a Husky 181 or 288 for the bigger saw. Seldom do I need it, but the 2100 comes out for the "6 cube", when needed.

To the OP.....I think the 460 is your sensible second saw choice. They pack a lot of power in a reasonably light package.:msp_thumbsup:

i just bought the ms 362 and i think i have made a great decision. I normally run a 25" bar with a full skip chain and it never bogs down in the big wood. The 362 has my vote. But keep in mind husky saws are great too i had one for over 6 years and run it hard. The only thing is that a husky will turn up more than a stihl. Just my opinion

Latest posts

Back