Newbie here. What else? - I need saw purchase advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beg to differ - the PS350 isn't much of a saw regarding power to weight - not the 420 either, really (as far as the info on them says by now).

The Husky 339xp stands out as a much better option, for a really light saw........:)

339xp??? Way too Expensive. It is $450 in the US! $180 more than the Dolly 350. Even a Dolly 6100s is cheaper!

I'm just a homeowner myself and I've really come to love my 7900. 20" bar onboard with 32" on the side covers all of my big cutting needs. I also have a little old top handle Mccoulloch (size unknown) that I really like for when I'm up in the air removing hazard trees on the side. The little top H. makes a really nice saw for one handed operation while cutting smaller stuff. saves a lot of time when you have a free hand to handle wood and the other isn't getting tired as s**t from holding your typical rear handle.

Ok, well, as was predicted early on, the MS361 seems to be the consensus "one size fits all" saw.

I think we'll have to try out the 'larger' saw first, and then just see what works best for her w/ the lighter saw - lots of votes for the MS180, and they look good to me.

I'll have to schedule a trip up to Leesburg pretty soon for the 361.

Thanks all!

Ok, well, as was predicted early on, the MS361 seems to be the consensus "one size fits all" saw.

I think we'll have to try out the 'larger' saw first, and then just see what works best for her w/ the lighter saw - lots of votes for the MS180, and they look good to me.

I'll have to schedule a trip up to Leesburg pretty soon for the 361.

Thanks all!

Pack your wallet full of bills and maybe get a Elvis cd along the way..........

It sounds like I got on this thread after the decision was already made,

BUT,

GET THE 361!

Otherwise, since you know you want it anyway, you'll be coming back to buy it about 6 months later. Especially if you keep coming back to this site. I did. :)

I'd say make the drive and buy it from Tom as well. He's helped a lot of people here, and I'm sure he's helped a lot more at his dealership.

...........My bigger criteria there is that the GF find it manageable. As nice as I think I'd find the MS260 for a limber, she struggles with the cast iron frying pans (no upper body strength at all), so I'd like to go light, light, light. ..........

Hope that helps, and again, thanks for your input!

Don't let her try the 361, let her get used to using a lower powered lighter weight saw until she understands & respects KICKBACK!

I started mine on a little micro xxv, then the homelite 240, now the Husqvarna 353, once she gets up to the 372, maybe I can teach her to use the splitter by herself.............load the woodracks...........the possibilities are endless.

Heh...she was a tad miffed at me last night for the "no upper body strength" comment (I pointed her to this thread).

A buddy of mine loaned me a Husqvarna 45 yesterday so I can knock out a few things this w/e before everything starts growing too terribly much. We'll see how she likes that, weight wise.

Don't let her try the 361, let her get used to using a lower powered lighter weight saw until she understands & respects KICKBACK!

I started mine on a little micro xxv, then the homelite 240, now the Husqvarna 353, once she gets up to the 372, maybe I can teach her to use the splitter by herself.............load the woodracks...........the possibilities are endless.

Mine (Witchy) loves to cut with the 361 at the sawbuck, and has done some rip-cutting with the 372xpg, but her personal saw is the 5100SH.

I believe she was about to "adopt" my 339xp as well.......:)

... but all that was before she became seriously ill last June......:cry:

Witchy and the 361

Last edited:
Back