Newbie to running older saws, question on mix ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dominator , or Red Armor or Shell or Citco along with Motul or Maxima . Even Saber used at 50:1 no leaner , gives excellent results . I have heard Aussie wood is extremely hard on saws , so a sharp chain & proper oil usage would be critical indeed .
It was eye opening when I saw it honestly. @rogue60 have you got those pictures?

Yeah , today's highly refined modern Dino oils are actual base synthetics , are they not FC rating Ben ? which covers the basic requirements of any air cooled engine .
FC rated oils are always at least partially synthetic.
The whole group 3,4,5 things is geared more to motor oils. The synthetic base oils used in two cycle oils are predominantly PIB's or esters.
I am thinking the Aussie guy is referring to a straight mineral low ash oil.

I do not know what synthetic oil is made from but have noticed that the price of mix oil has risen dramaticly supposededly due to the increase in oil prices.If synthetic oil is not made from crude oil why is the price of it going up the same?
Kash
Because the price of chemical feedstock has went up along with everything else. Most of those feed stocks BTW come from crude oil in one way or another.

A lot of synthetic oils use highly refined mineral oil as a base stock. So technically they arw still made from Dino juice. Besides that inflation is hitting hard recently. Can't even get my favorite Rotella diesel oil right now....
Most every chemical, lubricant, ag chemical, fertilizer, etc starts out with petroleum of some sort.
I've seen it mentioned several times that real synthetic oils are "made in a lab" this is non sense. They are all made in a refinery in one way or another and from crude oil.

Actually we've covered this quite a bit. 50 to 1 isn't reccomended in all new epa saws. Husqvarna still reccomends a higher oil ratio in 75cc + saws of 33 to 1. I'm pretty sure they are the last to say any different from the 50 to 1 for all saws though.

To the op. I recently acquired a old homelite gear reduction saw myself and found that the engine has a air vane govenor. Using typical tuning methods is moot with them from what I understand, but all the others you should be good to go with using your stated method. Don't bugger up that 1/2" chain. As I'm finding out it's a bear to get ahold of.
This 1/2 chain is non existent so are the presets and tie straps.

I would like to see these as well.
Here we all are stressing about the best oil, Rogue uses some of the cheapest mineral oil at 25:1 and his equipment, after thousands of hours looks cleaner than any other I have seen (internally) externally, yeah Rogue is the first to admit he’s not the kindest to his equipment but it’s certainly a testament to working saws hard, keeping the chain sharp and stopping stressing about everything else.

68D1A443-2C68-405E-BCA3-964FC6DD37A3.jpeg24A985AB-0FF7-43E1-863C-D2E103F79DF3.jpeg9EA6C98D-47B7-449C-AE95-16DC18A1582D.jpegC0E96D98-7572-464F-B5A2-BDA9FD9FCAA1.jpeg

7DBBDD00-E91B-4A2C-9CAD-DD1056250E1C.jpegC5C715CF-46A2-4F12-9A30-0A483820367A.jpegC619259E-1CDD-4000-9521-3BB1BBFC480D.jpeg06BD0AC1-9D8E-4BD2-BEB1-F934DAB7F31A.jpeg2F01B177-00AB-4EA2-AC10-A33C5F2A46FE.jpeg

Here we all are stressing about the best oil, Rogue uses some of the cheapest mineral oil at 25:1 and his equipment, after thousands of hours looks cleaner than any other I have seen (internally) externally, yeah Rogue is the first to admit he’s not the kindest to his equipment but it’s certainly a testament to working saws hard, keeping the chain sharp and stopping stressing about everything else.

View attachment 1020909View attachment 1020910View attachment 1020911View attachment 1020912

View attachment 1020913View attachment 1020914View attachment 1020915View attachment 1020916View attachment 1020917
No pic of the crown or muffler outlet?
Also what specific oil is he using?

Old Macs , Pioneers, and ported get 32:1 regular modern saws 40:1 Motul 800 2T Off-road mix and non-ethanol 95

A lot of synthetic oils use highly refined mineral oil as a base stock. So technically they arw still made from Dino juice. Besides that inflation is hitting hard recently. Can't even get my favorite Rotella diesel oil right now....
I have a drum of Rotella-T 15w-40 in the garage , just drop by & I'll top you up brother ! ;)

could be like the Bel-Ray , it's a light grade synthetic used for both injector & premix applications . Depending on whether it is a Group IV or V oil will determine the various stock oil additives are used in combination with the Mineral base stock . As Ben mentioned a better look at the piston crown & exhaust ports would better indicate the oil overall package success . The piston rings on the pics look great , there is some carbon tracking on the crown & exhaust side piston skirt , no carbon etching however of the skirt , the port looks somewhat clean ? I would say for the hours indicated on the saw , the oil & mix ratio & saw tune is optimal for the elevation & application the saw is being used for obviously . I used FB & FC rated oils for yrs without issues , FD with it advanced low smoke & odour additive package makes things even cleaner for operators environment . I believe he was using a Castrol 2T Product .

Muffler outlet is pictured. You’ll have to ask him for crown pics, these are just ones he’s shared on the other forum. He’s using Castrol Gardener 2t. FB rated mineral oil.
Gardner 2T is also a Premix or Injector use mineral oil , as is the Bel-Ray product Scut207 questioned , both quality air cooled ope oils , there are better & a hell of less quality oils out there , Ultra ring a bell Ben ? :innocent:

ed Most every chemical, lubricant, ag chemical, fertilizer, etc starts out with petroleum of some sort.
I've seen it mentioned several times that real synthetic oils are "made in a lab" this is non sense. They are all made in a refinery in one way or another and from crude oil.
It's a big distillation process , as your quite well aware Ben . The terminology of Full Synthetic to Semi synthetic or synthetic blend confuses the mass's . All oil originates pretty well from crude oil & is refined into base oil / pale oil & then is blended with adder stock oils & additive packages through synthetics to provide a more uniform oil composition or monelcular design structure for best oil protection for its intended usage . It's frustrating that the actual amount of synthetic oil is used is relative . Some synthetic are 20 % synthetic others are 80 % only Full Synthetics are 100 % synthetic , however some are esters & some original pao bases that are very refined from crude stock .

It's a big distillation process , as your quite well aware Ben . The terminology of Full Synthetic to Semi synthetic or synthetic blend confuses the mass's . All oil originates pretty well from crude oil & is refined into base oil / pale oil & then is blended with adder stock oils & additive packages through synthetics to provide a more uniform oil composition or monelcular design structure for best oil protection for its intended usage . It's frustrating that the actual amount of synthetic oil is used is relative . Some synthetic are 20 % synthetic others are 80 % only Full Synthetics are 100 % synthetic , however some are esters & some original pal bases that are very refined from crude stock .
Kinda not related, but..Alot of guys like to say group 3 isn't synthetic. This is non sense. Especially if one knew what went into making them.
Then there is the fact that 20 or so years ago Petro Canada produced a group 3 diesel oil that bested Mobil Delvac which was a PAO/ ester blend at the time. This was documented in an SAE paper.

Which brings us back to two cycle oils. I wouldnt get too hung up on what the oils composition is, but rather what tests and certifications at has actually passed
. No "meets or exceeds" garbage either.

Back