Newbie wedge question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, edit previous post to read except sawtroll lol ;) ....

Hmmm, that tree wasn't that large, only 16" dbh, but thicker at about 10', and very top heavy and high for birches in our area (about 60'). It was about 3 yards from the cottage, and natural fall direction was streight at the cottage. I needed the rope and the man, as I wasn't sure that the wedges would be enough - but they actually were - it was on the way in the right direction, before he really pulled on the rope......

My point is that in a tight spot, it isn't either - or, but both, to be safe.

There was no wedging this...It it weren't for the rope,it would have been through the roof.
010_10-2.jpg

Looks like you cut all your holding wood off, I can't see any in the pic. And the backcut is really high. And it looks like a harsh dutchman as well. I see why you always use a rope now. :monkey:

Looks like you cut all your holding wood off, I can't see any in the pic. And the backcut is really high. And it looks like a harsh dutchman as well. I see why you always use a rope now. :monkey:

Yep, agree - and the notch looks way too deep! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

It is a risky sport to post pictures of your handywork on the AS (who said that before).........

Last edited:
Cut the hinge off????I made the backcut high so it would jump off of the stump and clear the water line that was near the base of the stump....I use a rope much of the time because most of the trees I am bringing down you would probably run from.

Cut the hinge off????I made the backcut high so it would jump off of the stump and clear the water line that was near the base of the stump....I use a rope much of the time because most of the trees I am bringing down you would probably run from.

The height of the backcut does not influence the "jump", that is controlled by the size of the undercut.

That particular wood rarely leaves any fiber pull,there was alot of weight leaning straight back towards the house,so a rope was placed less than a foot from the very top for maximum leverage,then the new holland was used to pull it....Yes,the back cut was slightly high,but I used the lip left by the higher back cut,plus a couple of wedges to keep it from trying to twist one way or another...That did not have to be as precise as some falls I have made,but I did have to avoid the water line,those two holly trees and that brick wall...I knew that with the rope in the very top and the wedges to keep it from turning it was pretty much bound for where I wanted it,so technically I cut much more of the hinge than I shoule have to get a little more falling speed before the top of the wedge hit the base of the stump to gain as much jump as I could get...Anyone who has regularly fallen trees that big and bigger knows that they ain't gonna jump that far no matter what you do,but I made my best effort at this one and it worked....So ya'll keep BSing about using wedges on the occasional trees some of you are falling,and trying to find things wrong with everyone else,and I'll keep using what works for me every single day to make ends meet for myself and my family...Are any of your names on the sides of my dump trucks or grapple truck???I don't think so...Again,it all might not be by your spec books or how you dream about doing it someday,but I've built a half million dollar a year business by using these same things I've talked about here....What I suggested to the guy that started this thread was only to help him out and to keep himself or something or someone around him from potentially getting hurt while learning how to fall trees.

The sun don't shine outta my....

I am far from perfect, I have cut off my holding wood as well, and put a tree across a three phase powerline because of that error, and more, over the years, and not just with chainsaws..... Whatever works for you T.H., just don't b.s. about falling here, it ain't gonna work.

Timberhauler, The origianal post was a request for information about falling trees with wedges.
I don't do this part time or as a hobby. I do both contract falling and residential tree removal. (no I don't claim to be an arborist-I don't know enough about pruning or treating trees). Next week I have a side leaner growing through the deck, dead with conks, that I am going to pull and use a guy rope in, and jump it past the porch rail and the chain link fence below.
There is most definiatly a place for a pull line, even in the deepest, darkest woods. It might even be a one inch swedged steal cable hooked to a D-8 or a yarder.
Sawtroll, in spite of what the books say, the best holding wood is often near the center of the tree and a deep face (notch) often makes a tree easier to pull.
Clearance, That dutchman is what made his tree jump.

Back