Nikasil vs Chrome

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motosierra

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to tell the diffence before you buy?

Last edited:
Just know the models, most modern pro and even semi grade saws have some sort of Nikasil. Lower cost saws most likely have chrome, some POS saws just hard aluminium bores and chromed piston.

After having cylinders plated with a true nikasil, I am sceptical about some of the factory jugs being nikasil, the replated cylinders have a lot harder plating than what comes from the factory.

Chrom bores though stay bright and mirror like, nikasil are a bit dull and more grey or have a grey blue or tan color cast to them.

Mahle is a manufacturing company that makes jugs, and they use a proprietary Nikasil process (currently).

It's been my experience that the exterior of a hard chrome plated jug will be darker since the temperatures needed to apply hard chrome plating are higher than those needed to do Nikasil.

Good to hear from you JJ. Glad to see you are still helping pople out with you knowlege.

I do not usually buy aftermarket jugs but am going to buy a big bore jug (52mm) for a 372. One seller says his are nikasil plated....and the other does not say, So how does a guy really know what he is getting. I have looked at a lot of Mahle cylinders and some are shinny bright and some are dull....so is there any "standard" test?

Last edited:
Good debate! Some of the most durable saws ever were chrome plated! But a lot of the more moder nikasil saws are doing well as well!

Original BB jugs where plain chrome, there may be a few newer Nikasil ones out there, but I think the next lot is still on a slow ship from ???

There are quite a many differnt formulations for propratory cylinder coatings, they are not all equal, when it come to doing port work, some can be cut with a HSS bit, others will resist nearly every cutter but diamons.

Back