Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a worthy project. A 3700 apparently runs just as well.
My green 4000 is a converted 3400 the whole lot too even the choke handle. Still running the 3400 starter but the better 1 is there just being kind to the 3400 style for now
I agree. Hard to tell the difference between a 3700 and 4000. It’s only a 3 cc diff (61 vs. 64).

I guess its got alot to do with the port design and thin ring piston.
This was my first and now only saw in the 3400-4000 series. 11 years ago I got it from an old timer who had it in its case not used in 20 years. Took it apart to do the fuel system and clean it and it’s a thin ring 3.7. This one had the highest compression of any of the saws I had in the series, just over 150psi. Added the 5200 style muffler and a 4000 intake a couple years later. At one point I had a 30” bar on it when my husky 2100 wouldn’t run and we had a big maple to cut. Pulled and oiled fine I just let the saw cut. The one weak link in it is the plastic starter pawl. The 3700 uses steel pins and the 4000 a notched steel “cup”. I haven’t swapped it but that would make it complete.5B967C5C-1CAE-4EF8-AB75-51973F50CD30.jpeg

This was my first and now only saw in the 3400-4000 series. 11 years ago I got it from an old timer who had it in its case not used in 20 years. Took it apart to do the fuel system and clean it and it’s a thin ring 3.7. This one had the highest compression of any of the saws I had in the series, just over 150psi. Added the 5200 style muffler and a 4000 intake a couple years later. At one point I had a 30” bar on it when my husky 2100 wouldn’t run and we had a big maple to cut. Pulled and oiled fine I just let the saw cut. The one weak link in it is the plastic starter pawl. The 3700 uses steel pins and the 4000 a notched steel “cup”. I haven’t swapped it but that would make it complete.View attachment 934229

Wow 30 inch bar. Unreal

Is there a flywheel from another saw w/o the integrated key in the flywheel that will work on a WT 4018? Apparently you can't buy just the flywheel anymore, it comes with coil as well which jacked the price up to $50. 😒

Got the boys 4018 running and shut it off and started it a few times to make sure it starts good and the damn flywheel spins on the crank. I know it was tight, so I'm guessing either the key had been tweaked a little before or the compression from the tight motor was to much for it.

Wow 30 inch bar. Unreal
There’s a group picture of us. Me, dad my uncle and cousin with the saws and stuff. Was a fun day cutting at my grandmothers house. Sad part was a month later, just before her 90th she slipped and broke her hip. Went into rehab, but never home. 2 years of hell watching her lose her will to live stuck in a home.

There’s a group picture of us. Me, dad my uncle and cousin with the saws and stuff. Was a fun day cutting at my grandmothers house. Sad part was a month later, just before her 90th she slipped and broke her hip. Went into rehab, but never home. 2 years of hell watching her lose her will to live stuck in a home.

Bit sad. A fair old innings for her though. Homes really must be hard mentally:(

You can
Is there a flywheel from another saw w/o the integrated key in the flywheel that will work on a WT 4018? Apparently you can't buy just the flywheel anymore, it comes with coil as well which jacked the price up to $50. 😒

Got the boys 4018 running and shut it off and started it a few times to make sure it starts good and the damn flywheel spins on the crank. I know it was tight, so I'm guessing either the key had been tweaked a little before or the compression from the tight motor was to much for it.
You can tell by looking at it if it sheared the integrated key.
Highly doubtful there is a flywheel without integral key.
They should be plentiful & I would guess the Poulan 42cc saws (KABILLIONS of those) flywheel would work (poulan was all about interchangeability).
I would almost bet it is a 42cc saw.

These are out of my wheel house.

While waiting for parts. Dug in that 74cc poulan. Coil and flywheel on 306a parts saw different style then 245a.
By looking at 245 piston I don’t know if it would have been a runner anyways. Ugly looking.
😋

So both parts saws now if anything needed.

I was hoping going to be same. But one is prob early points style on the 306. The 245 is later style no points.

Shoot just thought of something. I should put what is needed on the 306 to see if it will start. P+C are nice in it.

p245x.jpgp245xxxxxx.jpgp245xxxxx.jpgp245xxxx.jpgp245xxx.jpgp245xx.jpgp2453066.jpgp245306.jpg

You can

You can tell by looking at it if it sheared the integrated key.
Highly doubtful there is a flywheel without integral key.
They should be plentiful & I would guess the Poulan 42cc saws (KABILLIONS of those) flywheel would work (poulan was all about interchangeability).
I would almost bet it is a 42cc saw.
Oh it sheared the key because it won't bite on the crank. I have a couple of smaller homelites and mcculloch that don't run. They didn't have integrated keys, so I'll have to check orientation to see if timing will be OK.
Flywheel was made by Walbro, but no p/n that I could see. Don't wanna waste money on a coil I don't need so off to fleabay I go.

Oh it sheared the key because it won't bite on the crank. I have a couple of smaller homelites and mcculloch that don't run. They didn't have integrated keys, so I'll have to check orientation to see if timing will be OK.
Flywheel was made by Walbro, but no p/n that I could see. Don't wanna waste money on a coil I don't need so off to fleabay I go.
What is the saw model #?
Not saying yours IS without seeing it, but MOST all Poulans from 35cc, 36cc, 40cc were actually 42cc saws after about 1999 ish on, regardless of cc rating listed on starter cover.

What is the saw model #?
Not saying yours IS without seeing it, but MOST all Poulans from 35cc, 36cc, 40cc were actually 42cc saws after about 1999 ish on, regardless of cc rating listed on starter cover.

I have a Poulan 2055 which says it’s 2.0cu in on the recoil sticker but the epa tag says it’s 42cc which is @ 2.6 cu in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Got me come in on saw.

Any idea from what?

What is funny about that now that I think about it. My bought new poulan 2000 1994 has a homelite coil I pulled from a homie 240 super in it.

View attachment 934572
That points coil came on everything from a 1960 1-41 to the switch to electronic in 1973 10-10 automatics.

Poulan 245SA pic

Is 245A cylinder the same except for decomp hole?
If I remember correctly, the only revision difference in plain A & SA was the auto sharp feature.

What is the part number cast onto your jug base flange?, that looks like an early 11563 model. Have seen three or four different cylinders 5300-11564, 11563 & 11525.

The jugs were all the same bore size & will interchange, but may require plugging the decomp up & finding the correct tin muffler assembly in order to reuse it.

Not sure if the SA revision covered all the other changes like elimination of the points & decomp hole, a different tin muffler can & added the rear cylinder boss mount style.

If I remember correctly, the only revision difference in plain A & SA was the auto sharp feature.

What it the part number cast onto your jug base flange?, that looks like an early 11563 model. Have seen three different cylinders 5300-11564, 11563 & 11525.

The jugs were all the same bore size & will interchange, but may require plugging the decomp up & finding the correct tin muffler assembly in order to reuse it.

Not sure if the SA revision covered all the other changes like elimination of the points & decomp hole, a different tin muffler can & added the rear cylinder boss mount style.
Thats the guys runninf sa saw I am helping try and save another sa he has with my 245a parts saw.

Back