• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold no longer available

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicknick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a cs 590 timberwolf, 7.5 or 8 out of 10 condition in my estimates, has a 20 inch original bar with a stihl carbide chain, made in August of 2014 with light usage. I am wondering what a good asking price for it is? The saw is just a little big for me for what I need, a 45cc is preferable so I have my eyes peeled.

Thank you

Without pictures it's impossible to set a value, but it's probably worth around $200 - $250. As I think was pointed out in your other thread, you're unlikely to be able to sell it here anytime soon because forum transactions are inherently risky, and you don't have an established reputation. Since you mentioned being unwilling to ship it until you receive payment (which I understand), you could sell it on eBay or locally via Craigslist.

Yep, gonna need pictures at the very least. Preferably including a focused picture of the piston through the exhaust port. Also one of a compression gauge attached to the saw with a good reading on the dial.

Also, as mentioned, the carbide chain is a big question mark. We know from your other post that you aren't the original owner. Did the original owner have the tools to keep that chain sharp? Do you? There's only a few things worse than running a saw with a dull chain.

Personally, I think a 33cc saw and the timberwolf is a good setup. A 40cc isn't any less dangerous than a 60cc. A 33cc saw and a 40cc saw is a pretty limited and redundant setup. You will have two lightweight and low powered saws. You got a good deal on that timberwolf. If I were you I'd keep it, and sell the chain on your local Craigslist.

As far as the price is concerned, I think they're what, $350 new when they're on sale. Also, because you told us in another thread, we know what you paid for it. Knowing that, it's gonna be very tough to sell it for more.

I'm not trying to be rude here, just tell it like it is. If you're concerned about the amount of power the timberwolf has, the best thing to do would be to seek some training from someone who knows what they're doing. If you're new to saws, spending a day with an experienced operator will be an incredible learning experience. Well worth the cost of the dinner (or case of beer, new loop of chain, logrite, hookaroon, etc) you will buy him (or her).

Yep, gonna need pictures at the very least. Preferably including a focused picture of the piston through the exhaust port. Also one of a compression gauge attached to the saw with a good reading on the dial.

Also, as mentioned, the carbide chain is a big question mark. We know from your other post that you aren't the original owner. Did the original owner have the tools to keep that chain sharp? Do you? There's only a few things worse than running a saw with a dull chain.

Personally, I think a 33cc saw and the timberwolf is a good setup. A 40cc isn't any less dangerous than a 60cc. A 33cc saw and a 40cc saw is a pretty limited and redundant setup. You will have two lightweight and low powered saws. You got a good deal on that timberwolf. If I were you I'd keep it, and sell the chain on your local Craigslist.

As far as the price is concerned, I think they're what, $350 new when they're on sale. Also, because you told us in another thread, we know what you paid for it. Knowing that, it's gonna be very tough to sell it for more.

I'm not trying to be rude here, just tell it like it is. If you're concerned about the amount of power the timberwolf has, the best thing to do would be to seek some training from someone who knows what they're doing. If you're new to saws, spending a day with an experienced operator will be an incredible learning experience. Well worth the cost of the dinner (or case of beer, new loop of chain, logrite, hookaroon, etc) you will buy him (or her).

Thanks for the time and info you gave me, I can tell your not trying to be rude, its easy to see when someone is trying to be, I just got a good deal I think and was thinking of maybe making $50 and hold of for a cs-450 on clearance but those are hard to come by so20161115_122837.jpg 20161117_114339.jpg 20161117_114236.jpg 20161117_114212 (1).jpg 20161117_114138.jpg 20161117_114114.jpg I think I may as well keep the saw, I'm not sure how to run a compression test or look at the piston but I can at least upload some pictures for the hell of it. The chain is sharp as hell though, with my equipment I'm not sure I can sharpen it myself, I bought one of those Chicago electric bench sharpeners from harbor freight to tend to my little saw, it works well with a normal chain. I would love to train with an experienced operator, not sure how to find one though, lol

Nice pictures. I think you are ABSOLUTELY making the right decision to keep the saw.

Making money by flipping a saw isn't against the rules or anything, but folks usually are discreet about what they paid for a saw if they're trying to make a buck. If you can buy a saw for a song and sell it at a price that's still a good deal for a buyer, that's great, and no one would begrudge you that.

Unless you're selling it for parts, though, or actually in person, which I think is pretty rare on here, people want some verification of what they're getting. One way is for good detailed pics, including of the piston (you take the muffler off, by the way), and a compression gauge. A video helps too. Another thing that helps is if you've been a member for a while and contribute to some discussions. This is mostly a forum, but does have a "trading post". If you're new, and you join expressly to sell stuff, folks will be extra cautious.

Anyway, nice couple saws you got there. If you want to learn more, post a thread that lists your location and that you want to volunteer to cut with someone for a day and try to learn from them. There's some good folks on here who would be happy to help a guy out.

Back